Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2014, 03:58 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ncgirl
WIO products

Does anyone have any experience with the WIO Food Products? They sound interesting....but a cup of 'Flour' for 24 calories and 4 carbs completely defies anything I can recognize as logic! I'm not sure I can post the link (since they sell products), but if you google Wio Smart Flour, it should come up.
Would appreciate thoughts (I emailed the company, but haven't received a response yet...which may speak volumes!).
ncgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2014, 07:48 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
Their flour has 53 carbs per 1/2 cup and only 2 grams of fiber. Where did you find your information?

LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 11:26 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bonbon41
Stats: 200+, 130, 125
WOE: Keto-paleo/HFLC
Start Date: Atkins 2001, NK May 2014
The second ingredient on the list is enzyme inhibitors. My guess is that these block your digestive enzymes and so theoretically lower digestible carbs,or so the makers would like to think. Sounds a bit dodgy, as well as unhealthy, and a little similar to the whole Dreamfields approach. I wasn't sure so I dug up this old post from this site about Dreamfields:

How Dreamfields Lowers Digestible Carbs

I asked Dr. Anfinsen if he could explain how adding their blend of fibers and proteins to Dreamfields pasta "protects" the carbohydrate from being digested, and whether or not this fiber/protein blend acted as a "built-in carb-blocker." While I have to admit I did not fully understand the answer, he said, "Yes, you could look at it that way." Anfinsen describes the fiber/protein blend as "a matrix that is dispersed throughout the product. This matrix acts as a barrier that inhibits the ability of enzymes to digest the carbohydrate."

So what is a "matrix?" Anfinsen uses the following analogy: Say you lay a sheet of paper on your desk. Now say you want to move an object from the left side of your desk to the right. The sheet of paper acts as an obstacle. The more sheets of paper you stack up, the harder it is to move things from one side of your desk to the other.

Similarly, the fiber/protein blend in Dreamfields pasta prevents the enzymes necessary for the digestion of carbohydrates...

According to Anfinsen, the more of this blend they add to the food product, the fewer carbohydrates that get digested. They could, for example, manufacture pasta with zero grams of digestible carbs. The 5g per serving number was chosen for marketing reasons. Dreamfields pasta is intended to be a healthful, mainstream replacement for ordinary pasta; not just a niche product aimed at serious low-carb dieters. Because Dreamfields would like to see their products replace traditional pasta in school lunchrooms, for example, they felt it was necessary to have some digestible carbohydrates in the product.

If you want to read more, here's the link to the thread. It's post #10.

Dreamfields still O.K.?

Last edited by Bonbon41; 11-23-2014 at 11:30 AM..
Bonbon41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 12:01 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, everybody. I think I'll pass on it, but of course, I want to be on the front end when they find that *miracle weight solution* Happy Thanksgiving to all!
Old 11-23-2014, 01:41 PM   #5
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
I had a hard time finding much info on WIO but finally was led to their FB page which I liked and will follow to find out more. I may call them to find out if they would be willing to send a sample of the flour. It does sound too good to be true but I am curious enough to try it while testing my BS reaction to it. If it is for real it would indeed be magic!
Buffy45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 12:56 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: straightscoop
Stats: 135/115/105 5'4"
WOE: Protein Power/Mostly Vegetarian/Volumetrics
Please post your feedback!

Hi,
If you hear back from the company, I'd love to hear the feedback, and any results with blood sugar testing. They apparently have a variety of low-carb/low calorie products, tortillas for 17 calories and buns for 37. Crazy low stats, I wonder if they've been scientifically tested. I am having a hard time finding any non-biased information on these products.
straightscoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 01:51 PM   #7
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
My plans all changed and i made an unexpected trip out of tow, will try to follow up on this next week.
Buffy45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 08:31 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Decided to order some products

I decided to order a few of the products to see for myself. Got the flour, buns, muffins, tortillas and a pack of the chocolate truffles. Sure, the stats may be too good to be true, but maybe not--people doubted shirataki noodles and artificial sweeteners too when they first came out and they are now staples for dieters. I am someone who has to watch both carbs and calories to lose, so a flour like this is nothing short of a miracle. I had a bun last night with a burger and it was delicious, and huge! If I can eat baked goods again and still lose (or at least not gain) I don't care what the science behind them is, or isn't. I am not diabetic so I don't test blood sugar, but ill effects will show up on the scale, for sure. So far, no gastric distress from bun and chocolate I tried. I wouldn't eat this stuff daily, but it's opening up a world of possibilities for me for foods I haven't touched in years.

Last edited by straightscoop; 12-05-2014 at 08:32 AM..
Old 12-05-2014, 10:39 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightscoop View Post
I decided to order a few of the products to see for myself. Got the flour, buns, muffins, tortillas and a pack of the chocolate truffles. Sure, the stats may be too good to be true, but maybe not--people doubted shirataki noodles and artificial sweeteners too when they first came out and they are now staples for dieters. I am someone who has to watch both carbs and calories to lose, so a flour like this is nothing short of a miracle. I had a bun last night with a burger and it was delicious, and huge! If I can eat baked goods again and still lose (or at least not gain) I don't care what the science behind them is, or isn't. I am not diabetic so I don't test blood sugar, but ill effects will show up on the scale, for sure. So far, no gastric distress from bun and chocolate I tried. I wouldn't eat this stuff daily, but it's opening up a world of possibilities for me for foods I haven't touched in years.
Thanks for the review! I might try ordering - though I never heard back from the company when I sent an inquiry. Thanks, again!
Old 12-05-2014, 10:45 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
straightscoop - let us know when you have used some of these products.
It's hard to not be interested. (even with the "possibly too good to be true" element!)
JMCM1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 12:16 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

I'll post an update next week after trying them for a few days. If you do want to order just call the number listed on the web site - they told me they were having technical issues with the site. I wish these products were offered at more online retail outlets, including Netrition.