Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2014, 06:15 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tofucheez
new ceramic cookware

I don't really like to use non-stick cookware, and I also don't like to use a lot of oil. So for oven baking I just use parchment paper. But for stovetop skillet stuff and waffle makers, I've been eyeing the new(-ish) ceramic cookware.

Have you tried it? Is it pretty non-stick without adding loads of extra oil? My main issue with non-stick cookware is the chemicals that may leach into my food from the non-stick coating. So do you think this ceramic coating is any safer in this respect?

Thanks for your thoughts
tofucheez is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2014, 07:27 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/152/150
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
I recently bought two ceramic frying pans off Amazon and I LOVE them! They are super-easy to clean. These particular ones are dishwasher safe, but it's so easy to wash them out, I don't bother with the dishwasher. I always use a little oil or Pam, so nothing sticks. They actually behave just like my old non-stick pans. They're much prettier, though. I bought ones that are red, inside and out!
theredhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 12:16 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JHoberer
Stats: 283/177.0/170, 5'10.5", 38
WOE: 1/08: Atkins, 8/11: HCG, 7/12: JUDDD, 10/12: HCG
My husband bought me a ceramic skillet (black on outside, white on inside) from Walmart and it is amazing!! Even scrambled eggs don't stick!

Remember to season it with some food oil before using and every 10 washes.
JHoberer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 06:44 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tofucheez
thanks for the input in its non-stickiness

any thoughts on safety vs traditional non-stick?
tofucheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 10:07 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deb34
I ruined my ceramic pans...or rather someone else in the house did, now they are horrible so that everything sticks like epoxy cement. I rarely use them but can't bear to throw them out cause they cost me hundreds. I;ve tried everything to restore them but once the finish is gone, its gone for good so treat your pans really well and never let soap and or steel scrubbers near them...learn from my tragedy
Deb34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 10:27 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/152/150
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
I just read an excellent answer from Dr. Weil on his blog about ceramic pans. He says they're safer than Teflon because they don't contain PFOAs, which can be harmful. Interestingly, he also points out that even DuPont agrees that their Teflon pans give off those fumes when overheated, but they are safe under about 464 degrees. (And birds are much more sensitive to those fumes than humans.).

From what I've read, there are many brands of ceramic cookware that have variable results in durability. Some people hate them because they've chosen the wrong brand, perhaps. I am having excellent results with my new red pans, several months in, and I'm planning to buy these frying pans as Christmas gifts this year.
Click here for our fatties pics!
And another old one

Click here for a new picture.
And another newer one
theredhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 10:37 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deb34
mine were wonderful until someone put them in the oven to hide the dirty dishes and then forgot about them and turned to oven to broil temperature. Burned them black as soot and even tho I got the black off, the finish was destroyed. the culprit tried to hide the deed by scrubbing at the black with steel wool....I was so not impressed. I'm still mad about it.
Deb34 is offline   Reply With Quote