Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2014, 03:06 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rosebud
WOE: No Sugar/No Starch
Start Date: Restart: 7/28/14
Yayyy Cornbread!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chicken Lady View Post
I decided to try my cornbread recipe with all almond flour...removing the oat flour to lower the carb count and it worked very well. The almond flour makes a very lovely cornbread in fact I like this recipe better than the other.

Golden Corn Bread

3 cups-(12ounces) almond flour
2/3 cup-(3-1/2ounces) popcorn meal
1/3 cup Splenda
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 eggs
1/4 cup oil
1 cup…homemade LC milk

Put a cast iron skillet into the oven and preheat the oven and the skillet to 425°

Mix the dry ingredients together, make a well in the middle. Add oil, eggs, and milk in the well and mix with a wire whisk. Allow to stand for 5 minutes to give the ingredients time to hydrate.

Take the hot skillet out of the oven and place it on the stove over high heat. Put just enough oil in the skillet to swish it around good and heat the oil.

Pour the batter into the hot pan and place it in the oven and bake at 425° for 25 minutes or until golden brown and toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

So glad I found this just in time for Thanksgiving this year for my cornbread dressing! I already ordered the yellow popcorn meal.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2014, 04:31 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
You will love this!!!! The best but I use canned baby corn instead. Love it.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 04:57 PM   #3
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
DH, whose family hails from the South, swears this cornbread is better than what his mother made. Now THAT is high praise!

If the recipe is made by The Chicken Lady and posted here - you can rest assured it's gonna be as good as, or better than, its high-carb counterpart.
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 07:03 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

I believe it! I went through a few threads and the reviews were great. I also came across Sherrie's recipe and ordered the soy grits and Carbquick to take the place of the Atkins bake mix. I am going to have fun making these cornbreads but I have a feeling that The Chicken Lady will be the showcase for Thanksgiving.
Old 10-11-2014, 05:18 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Angeloco
Stats: 135/126/120
WOE: LC
Start Date: September 2011
I love this cornbread and just made it last week. In case you didn't see it here is the thread that she started years ago.
Golden Corn Bread...lower carbed...(pic)

I use 1 cup of chopped canned baby corn. Delicious and freezes well.
Angeloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 08:58 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: EnglishLit
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosethorns View Post
You will love this!!!! The best but I use canned baby corn instead. Love it.
Do you simply replace the cornmeal with the baby corn, or do you decrease the liquid also? I attempted this recipe with baby corn and it came out a bit gummy.
EnglishLit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 11:41 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lazy girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud View Post
So glad I found this just in time for Thanksgiving this year for my cornbread dressing! I already ordered the yellow popcorn meal.
Where did you find the popcorn meal?
lazy girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 01:52 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy girl View Post
Where did you find the popcorn meal?
Hi Lazy Girl - I ordered online from the Amish Country Popcorn store. Just search for "popcorn meal". They ship via UPS.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:17 PM   #9
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
What is the nutritional info on the popcorn meal? I couldn't read it on the label. TIA
Buffy45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 02:02 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Quote:
Hi Lazy Girl - I ordered online from the Amish Country Popcorn store. Just search for "popcorn meal". They ship via UPS.
Or you can make your own: If you have a vitamix or similar strength blender.

1/4 to 2 cups popcorn (uncooked)
·
Use special dry grains jar. Select VARIABLE, speed 1. Turn on machine and quickly increase speed to Variable 10, then to high. Grind to desired degree of fineness, about 1 min

Last edited by Nigel; 10-14-2014 at 02:06 PM..
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 09:48 PM   #11
Big Yapper!!!!

What's the advantage of using popcorn meal over regular corn meal?
Old 10-15-2014, 09:44 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

I just received my order today. Serving size: 3 Tbsp, Total carbs: 27g , Fiber: 7g.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:46 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
What's the advantage of using popcorn meal over regular corn meal?
Popcorn meal is 100% pure corn meal made from corn kernels. It retains its fiber unlike other corn meal products.

Last edited by Rosebud; 10-15-2014 at 09:51 AM.. Reason: clarification
Old 10-15-2014, 11:58 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Perfect!!!!

I just made a 1/2 batch of this recipe and I am impressed! It is so good and crispy on the outside and moist and perfect on the inside. I only sampled a 2oz slice - half plain and the other half with some Kerrygold butter (this sample was my lunch. LOL). Both were awesome. I am going to use the remainder for a cornbread dressing test run another day. So far, so good.

Tip: I only baked it for 12 mins. in my cast iron skillet at 425 degrees since I only made a half batch. I also used a tablespoon of Kerrygold butter and bacon grease for my oil. I omitted the EzSweetz because I wanted the original cornbread taste for this round. The next round, I will add the EzSweetz to accomplish a sweeter taste. Even with the 1/2 batch, I have a full skillet with about 1 1/2 in.thickness.

Note: Based on carb counts, what makes this recipe "lower" carb is the use of almond flour vs. white flour for cornbread. The carb count for 1/4 cup of white flour is 22g (0g fiber) vs. 6g (3g fiber) for 1/4 cup of almond flour. Oh, and the low carb milk is da bomb!!!

Last edited by Rosebud; 10-15-2014 at 12:01 PM..
Old 10-15-2014, 01:32 PM   #15
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
I just made a 1/2 batch of this recipe and I am impressed! It is so good and crispy on the outside and moist and perfect on the inside. I only sampled a 2oz slice - half plain and the other half with some Kerrygold butter (this sample was my lunch. LOL). Both were awesome. I am going to use the remainder for a cornbread dressing test run another day. So far, so good.

Tip: I only baked it for 12 mins. in my cast iron skillet at 425 degrees since I only made a half batch. I also used a tablespoon of Kerrygold butter and bacon grease for my oil. I omitted the EzSweetz because I wanted the original cornbread taste for this round. The next round, I will add the EzSweetz to accomplish a sweeter taste. Even with the 1/2 batch, I have a full skillet with about 1 1/2 in.thickness.

Note: Based on carb counts, what makes this recipe "lower" carb is the use of almond flour vs. white flour for cornbread. The carb count for 1/4 cup of white flour is 22g (0g fiber) vs. 6g (3g fiber) for 1/4 cup of almond flour. Oh, and the low carb milk is da bomb!!!
Thanks for posting this and the nutritional info. Very helpful!
Old 10-19-2014, 09:25 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Unfortunately, for the past two days I have been battling hay fever/allergy. I have been back on this woe for 12 weeks and this is the first grain/starch that I have had and I am feeling it is the culprit. I only ate the cornbread that once and I woke up the next day congested with allergy like symptoms and now full blown where I am taking Benadryl. I feel horrible.

I so wanted to have the stuffing for Thanksgiving but I have resolved that I have enough tasty non-starch/grains on the menu for me that not having stuffing is not going to matter if it will make me feel like this after eating it. The recipe is great but I cannot have grains/starch as they flare up my allergies and I have not had a flare up since I started back eating LCHF.
Old 10-29-2014, 12:43 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Godslamb
Stats: 221/221/150
WOE: low carb high fat
Start Date: January 9 2014
I was disappointed in this cornbread...unless I expected too much from it?
I made them into muffins according to the directions, using the processed baby corn, and while they are good, they are more muffin-like instead of cornbread-like. Not much corn taste at all. I guess my problem is, tha when I moved here a year ago from Canada, I tried my first cornbread muffin at Famous Dave's. Now *THAT* is a cornbread muffin!

Not what I expected, but maybe it is just me.
Godslamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 05:44 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Godslamb - try the recipe as written. The "baby corn" is an alternative ingredient people have been using and I did not use that, neither does the recipe call for that. However, the recipe is actually cornbread. My body does not tolerate grains/starches as I found out after I ate a piece. The cornbread was delicious and again, it is real cornbread!
Old 10-29-2014, 07:04 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

But I can't find popcorn meal, and can't afford to have stuff shipped to me.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:18 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Madmarsha
Stats: 212/157/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: October 2013
Well, I may try.
Madmarsha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 09:25 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Godslamb - popcorn meal are ground up unpopped popcorn kernels. Some people use their coffee grinders, food processors or vitamixers (I think that is what it's called), and grind it that way. You can actually use regular cornmeal, the difference between the two is that the popcorn meal retains the fiber vs regular cornmeal that have little to no fiber content. Check Whole foods or try to find a stone ground cornmeal with a higher fiber count than Aunt Jemima or Quaker, maybe.

Last edited by Rosebud; 10-30-2014 at 09:28 AM..
Old 10-30-2014, 09:57 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
I use Bob's Red Mill medium grind conrmeal. For 1/4 (33g) cup it's 23 carbs and 5 fiber and I only use 1/4 cup in my Lupin Flour Cornbread recipe. I've been trying to cut back some on the almond flour. I don't like sweet cornbread and I like it really crusty on the outside.

Lupin Corn Bread

1 cup lupin flour
½ cup pork rind flour
¼ cup cornmeal (Bob’s Red Mill, Medium Grind)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
½ tsp glucomannan powder
2 eggs
1/2 cup buttermilk (or more buttermilk if too dry)

2 tbs oil (I use bacon grease)

Preheat oven to 425°.

Mix the dry ingredients together. Add eggs, and buttermilk and mix well, if too thick or too dry add more buttermilk as needed. Allow to stand for 5 minutes to give the glucomannan time to hydrate.

Put an 8” cast iron skillet on burner on medium heat and put the 2 tbs. oil or grease in the skillet. You want the skillet and oil to get hot but watch it and don’t let it start smoking.

After mixture has set for 5 minutes and skillet is hot take the hot skillet and swirl the grease around it to coat the sides and then pour most of the hot grease into mix but leave a thin layer in the bottom of the skillet. Mix the melted grease into the mix carefully and then pour mixture into skillet. It will be thick but try to spread it even.

Place it in the oven and bake at 425° until golden brown.

Last edited by PaminKY; 10-30-2014 at 10:02 AM..
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 10:06 AM   #23
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: EnglishLit
I made the hazelnut cornbread recipe on Genaw's site and it was also excellent. A little on the sweet side, which I like.
EnglishLit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 10:26 AM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tater Head
Stats: start weight 212/200 /goal 150
WOE: Lowcarb
I made this cornbread on Monday. I did tweak a little, best cornbread I have had a while.

I made it for my kids, so more higher carbs are ok for them. I cooked a cup of frozen corn, it was 1/2 cup after cooking, then I grinded to a mush .Replaced the milk for the corn mush Then also used a very fine grind of real cornmeal to replace the popcornmeal. The other half of the milk I used 2 T cream and 2 T of club soda. Baked in a brownie pan and it was so yummy.

Debbie...

Last edited by Tater Head; 10-30-2014 at 10:29 AM..
Tater Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 11:12 AM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Madmarsha
Stats: 212/157/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: October 2013
I had the BEST cornbread awhile ago and I begged for the "secret" ingredient and I forget what they told me. I think it was cinnamon, though. I adore cornbread but this is going to have to remain a rare treat.
Madmarsha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 01:58 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Godslamb - popcorn meal are ground up unpopped popcorn kernels. Some people use their coffee grinders, food processors or vitamixers (I think that is what it's called), and grind it that way. You can actually use regular cornmeal, the difference between the two is that the popcorn meal retains the fiber vs regular cornmeal that have little to no fiber content. Check Whole foods or try to find a stone ground cornmeal with a higher fiber count than Aunt Jemima or Quaker, maybe.
Oh! Okay, thank you.