Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2014, 05:50 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bonbon41
Stats: 200+, 130, 125
WOE: Keto-paleo/HFLC
Start Date: Atkins 2001, NK May 2014
Holiday 2014 baking favorites

Is it too early to start a thread for plotting and scheming over holiday baking? Methinks not!

I'd like to get the ball rolling with something I made yesterday to great success - Soobee's Crystallized Ginger! I hope to use this in the All Day Long (Carolyn's) cranberry bliss bar, the triple ginger cookie recipe I'm working on, pumpkin pie crust, ginger cake, Soobee's pumpkin gingerbread trifle, and perhaps my bath. I do love my ginger

It was fun to make - I felt like a kid doing an exciting science fair project as I watched the erythritol crystals melt, then reform. This process also helped me understand why using granular erythritol in cakes can give it that nice outer slightly sugary crispness. I'm also thinking this might be a great technique for cake decoration too - if you want to add some sugary sparkle to cake toppers like some peel, fruit, edible petals etc. You could dip them in the warmed liquid erythritol and then sit back and watch the magic.

Here is the recipe:

Soobee's Candied Ginger:

1 pound fresh ginger root
5 cups water
Approximately 5/8 pound erythritol
1/4 tsp. stevia
1/4 tsp. sucralose

Peel the ginger root and slice into 1/8-inch thick slices using a mandolin. Place into a 4-quart saucepan with the water and set over medium-high heat. Cover and cook for 30 minutes or until the ginger is tender. Drain, Put in more water and boil again another 10 minutes. Transfer the ginger to a colander to drain. Return the ginger to the pan and add the sweeteners. Set over medium-high heat and bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Reduce the heat to medium and cook, stirring from time to time until the ginger root just starts to turn slightly darker. Do not let the ginger root caramelize. It will still be swimming in liquid. Don't worry. Transfer the ginger to a silicone or parchment lined cookie sheet. Let it cool. Scrape the now crystalized erythritol liquid and the ginger root pieces together. I store them in a plastic container in the freezer. They will last at room temperature for days.

Note: If you are slicing the ginger with a mandolin, use Kevlar gloves!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (51.6 KB, 17 views)
Bonbon41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2014, 07:16 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Beautiful!!
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 01:59 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
WOW.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 06:10 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/178.2/135 (11-Sept)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
Great recipe for the ginger - I used to love nibbling on it and since LC, that has fallen by the wayside. I'll start searching my recipes. One that I've really enjoyed during the holidays is a savory cheesecake with feta.
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote