Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2014, 09:56 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: floridagirl6
Stats: 200/145.6/130. Restart 160/
WOE: ME/Scarsdale/Low Carb Low Cal
Start Date: Restart 7/21/14
What is the best oil to use in homemade mayo?

Think about making homemade mayonaise and was wondering the best type of oil (healthiest) to use.
floridagirl6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2014, 10:53 AM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: darkchocolate
I was told to use an extra light olive oil because the EVOO is too heavy of a taste.

I prefer to use half olive oil and half MCT oil. I have tried using a little (1/4C) of coconut oil or avocado oil, but didn't like the taste of my mayonnaise, with either of those oils.

I love homemade mayonnaise!
darkchocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 11:10 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: floridagirl6
Stats: 200/145.6/130. Restart 160/
WOE: ME/Scarsdale/Low Carb Low Cal
Start Date: Restart 7/21/14
Thanks! I found some reccomendations for MCT oil and walnut oil.
floridagirl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 02:48 PM   #4
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
I use the avocado oil that Costco sells, or rice bran oil, or a combo of the two. Both have produced nice neutral-flavored mayo, not heavily influenced by the oils.

DH won't eat anything but that mayo now.
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 05:48 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bonbon41
Stats: 200+, 130, 125
WOE: Keto-paleo/HFLC
Start Date: Atkins 2001, NK May 2014
I use either MCT or macadamia
Bonbon41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 07:10 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
CHAR'S DH IS SOOOO SPOILED LOL
Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 11:24 PM   #7
Gadget Gal

LOL Barbo!

He is - and he'd be the first to tell you so!
Old 10-06-2014, 04:37 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: The Chicken Lady
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic
WOE: High Fat Low Carb Diet
Start Date: July 5th 2008
I was reading some posts a short time ago by several people who use a wide mouth quart jar and a stick blender to make their mayo. Some say they drizzle the oil in the jar while others say they dump everything in the jar push the stick blender to the bottom of the jar and start blending. Then they slowly pull the blender to the top of the jar with it running the whole way.

Either way they make their mayo in the jar they store it in so the only thing you have to clean up when you're done is the stick blender.

I was planning on trying it as soon as I finish off the jar of mayo that we're eating right now.

It sounds like a great idea and enough people were posting on their success with the method that I feel pretty sure it should work.

I think its a great idea because the one thing I hate about making mayo is getting the greasy mess out of my food processor.
Old 10-06-2014, 04:52 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chicken Lady View Post
I was reading some posts a short time ago by several people who use a wide mouth quart jar and a stick blender to make their mayo. Some say they drizzle the oil in the jar while others say they dump everything in the jar push the stick blender to the bottom of the jar and start blending. Then they slowly pull the blender to the top of the jar with it running the whole way.

Either way they make their mayo in the jar they store it in so the only thing you have to clean up when you're done is the stick blender.

I was planning on trying it as soon as I finish off the jar of mayo that we're eating right now.

It sounds like a great idea and enough people were posting on their success with the method that I feel pretty sure it should work.

I think its a great idea because the one thing I hate about making mayo is getting the greasy mess out of my food processor.
I used this method from The Healthy Foodie blog, with one egg at the bottom, a cup of light olive oil, some lemon juice (1 tbsp.) and salt, stick in the immersion blender and let it go for about 30 sec then pull up slowly. I used a 1 pint (500 ml) jar and the only issue was that it was so thick by the time I got to the top there was some oil left that I could not get incorporated into the mayo except by stirring. A larger (quart) sized jar might have helped with that. Also I need to work on tweaking the flavor. I still love Hellmann's flavor and need to try and get the homemade closer in taste.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 04:53 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Hi Chicken Lady (although I always think of you as the cake lady - love your cakes!),

I was one of those people. The first time I tried, worked like magic. That time I had accidentally put one whole egg in. Since then, I have tried twice - with the exact same method but only egg yolk (I need to avoid whites right now) and it didn't work at all! Such a waste of expensive oil. I'm wondering if it worked the first time because of the binding properties of egg whites?

Thought I'd let you know because kitchen flops really suck and I'd hate that to happen to you, although maybe it wouldn't. Curious to know what people think is going on here...
Old 10-06-2014, 04:55 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
I used this method from The Healthy Foodie blog, with one egg at the bottom, a cup of light olive oil, some lemon juice (1 tbsp.) and salt, stick in the immersion blender and let it go for about 30 sec then pull up slowly. I used a 1 pint (500 ml) jar and the only issue was that it was so thick by the time I got to the top there was some oil left that I could not get incorporated into the mayo except by stirring. A larger (quart) sized jar might have helped with that. Also I need to work on tweaking the flavor. I still love Hellmann's flavor and need to try and get the homemade closer in taste.
I find some garlic powder, Dijon, pepper andvinegar instead of lemon really help the flavor along...

Btw - did you use a whole egg?
Old 10-06-2014, 04:57 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonbon41 View Post
Hi Chicken Lady (although I always think of you as the cake lady - love your cakes!),

I was one of those people. The first time I tried, worked like magic. That time I had accidentally put one whole egg in. Since then, I have tried twice - with the exact same method but only egg yolk (I need to avoid whites right now) and it didn't work at all! Such a waste of expensive oil. I'm wondering if it worked the first time because of the binding properties of egg whites?

Thought I'd let you know because kitchen flops really suck and I'd hate that to happen to you, although maybe it wouldn't. Curious to know what people think is going on here...
Quote:
I find some garlic powder, Dijon, pepper andvinegar instead of lemon really help the flavor along...

Btw - did you use a whole egg?
The recipe I followed called for a whole egg, large or extra large, specifically. Maybe you could try with two egg yolks instead (or one egg yolk to half cup of oil)? The yolk is actually what contains the lecithin necessary to create the emulsion, so I'm not really sure why the white would matter, but maybe it does for this technique.

Last edited by Mistizoom; 10-06-2014 at 04:59 PM..
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 07:16 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lazy girl
I vote for avocado and walnut.
lazy girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 07:29 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/212/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
I just made some with avocado and olive oil. Normally I would use a combo of mct, olive, and avocado but I was out of the mct oil. I really like the taste of this new batch.

1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup avocado oil
3/4 tbsp lemon juice
1tsp Dijon mustard
1 egg
1 egg yolk
Pinch of salt

I place it all together in my immersion blender and it blends up beautifully.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 06:18 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shunsweets
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Bernstein
I still keep having flops with homemade mayo. Just doesn't blend up/ bind up. Wonder if I need a new immersion blender as mine is too big to fit in a jar and I have to use the narrow cup that came with it. Very expensive to keep wasting oil even though I only try 1/2 cup at a time. For now I am back to Hellmans which tastes great to me.
shunsweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 08:33 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: The Chicken Lady
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic
WOE: High Fat Low Carb Diet
Start Date: July 5th 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
Some of the people in the thread said they solved that problem by starting at the bottom and getting the mayo started good then pumpimg the blender up and down through the oil to the top to get everything mixed in. I'm sure its like most things it takes a few times of doing it to get the hang of it.

Quote:

Thanks for the heads up!! The name of the thread I was reading was Whole Egg Mayo but it never occurred to me that the whole egg would be needed for it to work. Thanks for pointing that out.
The Chicken Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 08:50 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lazy girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunsweets View Post
I still keep having flops with homemade mayo. Just doesn't blend up/ bind up. Wonder if I need a new immersion blender as mine is too big to fit in a jar and I have to use the narrow cup that came with it. Very expensive to keep wasting oil even though I only try 1/2 cup at a time. For now I am back to Hellmans which tastes great to me.
Shunsweets: I used a small mixing bowl and my hand held (manual) whisk and drizzled that oil very, very slowly. It was amazing how well it worked out.
lazy girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 10:14 AM   #18
Gadget Gal

The immersion blender works fine for me but I don't care for the texture of the mayo as much as when I use the food processor to make it, so I've quit using the immersion blender for this purpose.

The food processor makes it nice and fluffy and it stays that way. The immersion blender was not that fluffy stuff that says "Mayo!" to me and it tended to want to separate once it was spread on bread - as it warmed up to room temp the oil kind of came out of suspension.

No problems with it doing that at all with the food processor. I think it whips more air into the emulsion and it stays suspended better somehow!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Old 10-10-2014, 12:09 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Food Lady
I have a food processor with a whipping blade, so I'd like to try. But what about salmonella? Does anyone use egg product?
Food Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 05:41 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deb34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
I use the avocado oil that Costco sells, or rice bran oil, or a combo of the two. Both have produced nice neutral-flavored mayo, not heavily influenced by the oils.

DH won't eat anything but that mayo now.
I have the Costco avocado oil, do you have a recipe? I'd love to have great homemade mayo but I've never had success with the flavour. if you care to link or post your recipe, I'd love to try it.
Deb34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 10:14 AM   #21
Gadget Gal

Sure, here is what I use, but I double it when making it in the food processor!

Hellman's Clone Mayo

1 egg yolk, room temp
2 1/4 tsp. cider vinegar
1 tsp. water
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. sugar (I use liquid Splenda to equal that)
1/4 tsp. lemon juice
1/4 tsp. Dijon mustard
Pinch paprika
1 dash hot pepper sauce
1 cup oil

Mix all ingredients up to the oil in the food processor til well-blended. With motor running, drizzle in the oil. Whip til all oil is incorporated and the mayo is fluffy.

My Cuisinart has a top which allows the oil to be added to the top insert and then it drips down into the bowl.

Now I personally don't think this tastes all that much like Hellman's but it's delicious mayo and my DH won't eat anything else now. It will last a good two weeks in the fridge.

Foodlady - as for salmonella - I don't worry about it - the acid in the mayo should kill any baddies. If you're still concerned, buy the pasteurized whole eggs and use those instead.
Old 10-10-2014, 10:51 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deb34
Quote:

Hellman's Clone Mayo

1 egg yolk, room temp
2 1/4 tsp. cider vinegar
1 tsp. water
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. lemon juice
1/4 tsp. Dijon mustard
Pinch paprika
1 dash hot pepper sauce
1 cup oil

Mix all ingredients up to the oil in the food processor til well-blended. With motor running, drizzle in the oil. Whip til all oil is incorporated and the mayo is fluffy.

My Cuisinart has a top which allows the oil to be added to the top insert and then it drips down into the bowl.

Now I personally don't think this tastes all that much like Hellman's but it's delicious mayo and my DH won't eat anything else now. It will last a good two weeks in the fridge.

Foodlady - as for salmonella - I don't worry about it - the acid in the mayo should kill any baddies. If you're still concerned, buy the pasteurized whole eggs and use those instead.
thanks looks good, does it really clone Hellmans? I love the taste but not the kind of oil they use.

BTW, has anyone ever noticed in Hellmans Mayo commercials when they talking about how great it is and they have the video of the ingredients scrolling along, that it looks like they are using red wine vinegar? Or is that just in the Canadian commercials?

check out Hellmans REAL Blt Commercial on youtube from 2012- it sure looks like they are using a dark red vinegar of some kind

maybe that would make a taste difference.
Deb34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 04:00 PM   #23
Gadget Gal

See my comment below!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb34 View Post
thanks looks good, does it really clone Hellmans? I love the taste but not the kind of oil they use.

BTW, has anyone ever noticed in Hellmans Mayo commercials when they talking about how great it is and they have the video of the ingredients scrolling along, that it looks like they are using red wine vinegar? Or is that just in the Canadian commercials?

check out Hellmans REAL Blt Commercial on youtube from 2012- it sure looks like they are using a dark red vinegar of some kind

maybe that would make a taste difference.
Quote:

Hellman's Clone Mayo

1 egg yolk, room temp
2 1/4 tsp. cider vinegar
1 tsp. water
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. lemon juice
1/4 tsp. Dijon mustard
Pinch paprika
1 dash hot pepper sauce
1 cup oil

Old 10-10-2014, 04:06 PM   #24
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Ozcook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Food Lady View Post
I have a food processor with a whipping blade, so I'd like to try. But what about salmonella? Does anyone use egg product?
I make homemade mayo using whole egg that I have pasteurised in a sous-vide at 135F for 75 minutes.
  • 1 whole egg at room temperature
  • 10ml white wine vinegar
  • 5ml Lemon juice
  • 5 ml Dijon
  • salt & pepper
  • 220 ml LIght Olive Oil
  • 80 ml Avocado Oil
Place all ingredients except oils in the bottom of a container just wide enough to fit the immersion blender. Add oils. Insert immersion blender and hold the base to the bottom of the container. Start on low speed and do not move it for 8-10 seconds by which time you should see the mixture emulsifying. Slowly raise the blender to continue emulsification. The blending should take 20 seconds at most.

Some immersion blenders do not work easily with this technique - it depends on the design at the end of the shaft.
Ozcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 11:12 AM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
I use the immersion blender method and it comes together VERY quickly.
Then I stir in about a Tbsp. of whey and let it sit on the counter for 8 hours before refrigerating.
I know every single recipe says it lasts a week or 2 weeks... I've had mine consistently over a month before I got the last of it out of the jar - never any problems.
Of course YMMV.
JMCM1 is offline   Reply With Quote