Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2014, 06:52 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lowcarbknight
Suggestions for making whey protein fudge 'chewier'

Need some help. Been working with this basic recipe:

--

Melt on stovetop til liquid:

1/3 cup Erythritol

when liquid add 8 drops sweetzfree, 2 Tbs reduced fat cream cheese. stir til liquid (I take off heat so E doesn't caramelize). Add 1 scoop chocolate protein powder and 2 Tbs Hersheys dark chocolate. stir and add 3 Tbs (or so) vanilla davincis. Stir til creamy. scrape into container and refrigerate. In a half hour or so you will have a beautiful fudge that is oh so satisfying. Did the same fudge with Vanilla protein powder and PB2 instead of cocoa. Delightful! I am not sure of carbs--4? less than 200 calories for whole thing.

--

.. which works great, for its intended purpose.

What I want to do is figure out how to make it chewier, so that the final mixture really sticks to your teeth (like regular caramel).

Do I increase the amount of erythritol? Add some extra thickeners? I have xantham gum, guar gum, inulin, polyd, gelatin, and vitafiber (as a syrup). I'm thinking one of those will do it, but I'm totally new at this and don't know which one to try with first.

Anyone have suggestions?
lowcarbknight is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2014, 08:12 PM   #2

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I will venture none of those things will do what you want. sometimes we need to be grateful we have something wonderful (the fudge) and let go of the unobtainable. good luck though!
ravenrose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:40 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JHoberer
Stats: 283/177.0/170, 5'10.5", 38
WOE: 1/08: Atkins, 8/11: HCG, 7/12: JUDDD, 10/12: HCG
polydextrose made into syrup
JHoberer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 03:17 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
I think Vitafiber would help. It acts like corn syrup.
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 04:10 AM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
Take a look at this recipe. I remember that it was so chewy I thought it would rip my teeth out, LOL.

CHEWY PEANUT BUTTER CANDY
2 tablespoons butter *
1/4 cup natural peanut butter *
1/4 cup granular Splenda or equivalent liquid Splenda
1 cup chocolate whey protein powder *
1/4 cup Da Vinci sugar free syrup, French vanilla or caramel flavor

Melt the butter in a small bowl in the microwave. Blend in the peanut butter with a spoon until smooth then stir in the Splenda. Add the protein powder and mix as well as possible. It will be crumbly. Work in the syrup with a spoon until you end up with a glossy, sticky, caramel-like goo. Press this into a small non-stick foil lined container and freeze until firm enough to cut into serving size pieces, about 2 hours. Once it has frozen overnight, it will be very hard. You can eat it frozen, but it will be a lot more chewy. If you don't want to freeze it, keep it refrigerated but it will be very soft and kind of messy to eat.

Makes 4-8 servings
Can be frozen but must be thawed to eat

* I used Peter Pan No Sugar Added creamy peanut butter so I can't say for sure if natural peanut butter would work exactly the same. I used Designer Whey brand protein powder. Add a pinch of salt if you're using unsalted butter.

With granular Splenda:
Per 1/4 Recipe: 220 Calories; 15g Fat; 17g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 5g Net Carbs
Per 1/8 Recipe: 110 Calories; 7g Fat; 9g Protein; 3g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs

With liquid Splenda:
Per 1/4 Recipe: 214 Calories; 15g Fat; 17g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs
Per 1/8 Recipe: 107 Calories; 7g Fat; 9g Protein; 2g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 2g Net Carbs
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 10:03 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Okay, last night was a disaster. Made the same recipe twice, with two adjustments:

Batch A: Doubled the erythritol (2/3c)

Batch B: Added 1TP Xanthan and 1TP Guar

Both turned out awful! Quite funny, actually. Doubling the erythritol made the resulting end mixture into a rock. Adding the guar and xanthan made it into... something totally different from what I intended, and equally horrid. Hard to explain, but it did not give the chewiness I was after.

Will go back to the original tonight and try adding some polyd or vitafiber. I think those'll work better. Linda -- thanks for the recipe, but 1,000 cal for the batch is probably too much. And I bet the whole thing relies on the butter/pb mixture to make it chewy, so I can't just cut that out.
Old 09-17-2014, 03:41 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
I'd use vitafiber. My fudge recipe is almost identical to the quest bar recipe except with vitafiber instead of caramelized erythritol. The homemade quest bars are quite chewy
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 05:33 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
I'd use vitafiber. My fudge recipe is almost identical to the quest bar recipe except with vitafiber instead of caramelized erythritol. The homemade quest bars are quite chewy
I actually started out making the quest bars, and then found your recipe which seemed better calorie-wise.

I've been lurking the forum for the past few weeks; ouizoid, you're like the resident expert here for low-cal/low-carb foods. Do you have any go-to staples that you like making?

I made stuff with your BTF mix but the glucammonan powder does not sit well with me, so anything with that is out. But other goodies could work really well.

I'm looking mostly for deserts and sweets. If something is baked I like it crispy/crunchy (so a brownie or moist cookie isn't any good.. granola or something IS, but I don't have any clue of where to start there). When things are moist and chewy, I like them to be cool.. so quest bars and this type of fudge and the like.

One last question, I guess: what do you think I could add, that is relatively low-cal, to the fudge recipe to "stretch it out". Ie, to make the batch bigger without adding significant calories?

Or am I searching for something that doesn't exist here? :P
Old 09-18-2014, 10:30 AM   #9
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
It's actually the whey protein that makes them chewy. I also made these mint patties - PEPPERMINT DROPS - Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes - and they had that same consistency when cold. Here's another bar recipe that has the consistency of a Tootsie Roll:

CHOCOLATE COCONUT NUT PROTEIN BARS - Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes

Again, it's the whey that makes it sticky and chewy.
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 11:49 AM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Really? I don't mind adding more whey. Thanks, Linda! I'll probably try today or tomorrow and take pics to report back
Old 09-18-2014, 11:50 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JHoberer
Stats: 283/177.0/170, 5'10.5", 38
WOE: 1/08: Atkins, 8/11: HCG, 7/12: JUDDD, 10/12: HCG
Smart!
JHoberer is offline   Reply With Quote