Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2014, 01:13 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: dreemsnake
Substitute erythritol for Stevia

I don't like to use Stevia because even the best stuff is very bitter. I'd like to substitute erythritol when I run into Stevia as a recipe ingredient. I just don't know how much to use.

For example, I have a recipe that calls for 6 tablespoons of erythritol and 20 drops of Stevia. I can't find a conversion chart that tells me how much a drop of Stevia is. How many drops in a teaspoon? And does a teaspoon of Stevia really equal 1 1/3 cups of erythritol?

Anyway, is this even possible or do I have to stay away from the recipes that call for Stevia? Thanks for your help.
dreemsnake is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2014, 03:35 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bonbon41
Stats: 200+, 130, 125
WOE: NK, HFLC
Start Date: Atkins 2001, NK May 2014
Hi there,

It gets tricky because not all stevia is the same potency. I'd google the name of your brand stevia and add the words "conversion chart" to the search. Here is the conversion chart for Sweetleaf brand, but it might be different from your brand:

Stevia Conversion Chart | SweetLeaf Stevia® Sweetener | Natural Stevia Sweetener

Good luck and happy cooking
Bonbon41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 06:53 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: dreemsnake
Thanks. What I'm trying to do is not use Stevia at all. I would like to use all erythritol instead of Stevia. So in my example recipe I don't want to use the 20 drops of Stevia but what would be the equivalent amount of erythritol? I saw a chart that suggested how much Stevia equals the equivalent amount of sugar, then a chart for sugar/erythritol conversion and this suggests that a teaspoon of liquid Stevia equals 1 1/3 cups of erythritol. This may be right but most recipes don't require that much. They usually tell you how many drops to use. I don't know how to convert it and the ingredients in the recipes are usually pricey so I don't want to waste them by making a mistake.

I don't even know if I can do this because it might mess up the recipes. Maybe I'll just stick to all erythritol recipes that don't use Stevia. I've tried all different kinds of Stevia and I've gotten samples from different companies. I have sweetleaf on hand but I can't stand that either.
dreemsnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 11:11 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LindaSL
WOE: Just LC (carb counter)
Start Date: May 2011
What sort of recipes are you using that call for stevia? Some may turn out by substituting erythritol, but others may not, because you may be adding too much bulk. If you are subbing sweeteners, the rule of thumb is to match both the sweetening power as well as the bulk of the sweetener in the recipe. Pure stevia has a lot of sweetening power, so as you've seen, subbing erythritol would really increase the bulk of the recipe. I don't typically see recipes that only use stevia as a sweetener--usually there is a combination. Might there be other sweeteners in your recipes that the erythritol can also replace?
LindaSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 04:39 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
Agree with LindaSL. Why don't you post a couple of the recipes you want to change, and we will try to help you. Also let us know which sweeteners you can use, so we can make a combo.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote