Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2014, 09:39 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: halldot
Stats: fat/still fat/130
WOE: atkins
Start Date: restarted induction 09/2014
need ideas for pork roast in crock pot please

Just bought a nice sirloin end boneless pork roast. I want to use the crock pot to cook it, any good recipe ideas? It's not the cut for making pulled pork so I don't think it will do the best for that. Thanks!
halldot is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2014, 09:45 AM   #2
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 1400 cals/70g carbs/85% Primal
I usually stud the roast with garlic cloves and rub it with salt and pepper.
In the crock bottom: chopped onion and celery, rosemary if I have it, bay leaf (no liquid) and set the roast on it. Cook low 6 hours.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 11:15 AM   #3
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
I cut those into chunks, then make chile verde. One medium onion, diced, goes in first, then a green bell pepper cut into about 1/2" squares, a poblano pepper the same way if you can get them, then the pork cubes, then a 12 oz. jar of green tomatillo salsa and a 28 oz. can of La Victoria green enchilada sauce. Add about a teaspoon of garlic powder and another of onion powder, a teaspoon of crushed dried oregano, and a teaspoon of cumin, stir, cook on low til the meat is totally tender, about 8 hours. You can start it on high if you want to shorten the cooking time a bit.

DH's favorite wintertime dish!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 01:31 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jerikay
WOE: Low GI
Start Date: Jan. 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
I cut those into chunks, then make chile verde. One medium onion, diced, goes in first, then a green bell pepper cut into about 1/2" squares, a poblano pepper the same way if you can get them, then the pork cubes, then a 12 oz. jar of green tomatillo salsa and a 28 oz. can of La Victoria green enchilada sauce. Add about a teaspoon of garlic powder and another of onion powder, a teaspoon of crushed dried oregano, and a teaspoon of cumin, stir, cook on low til the meat is totally tender, about 8 hours. You can start it on high if you want to shorten the cooking time a bit.

DH's favorite wintertime dish!
This sounds really good! What do you serve with it?
jerikay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 02:47 PM   #5
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Usually we have one serving each of refried beans with that, and chopped onion and cilantro and avocado and shredded cheese to put on top of it. You don't really need the beans though - just put the stew in a bowl and top it with whatever goodies you like and dig in with a big spoon!

Chile verde is just the best stuff!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:05 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: webcrystal
Stats: x11/x50/wonderland (restart 3/21/14 x95)
WOE: Low Carb
I second the Chili Verde idea. But I'm a lazy cook - I don't go to all the stuff she does - I just open a jar of Chili Verde dump it over the pork and let it cook. (you can use a red salsa also). Just make sure whichever you use is not full of sugar (ya never know). when done you can add cheese, sour cream, etc. serve in a bowl by itself or serve with a side salad w/avocado ranch dressing.

If you can tolerate it low carb tortillas or make a lc gf "tortilla" then you can use that to go with it or lettuce wrap "taco".

Also goes ok with cauli, or zuch/pepper mix.
With the left overs you can use the chili verde for the inside of an omelet (yum!).

Another way to cook would be just a seasoned roast in crockpot. (best would be to brown outside first but as I said I'm a lazy chef ... I put in with seasoning like a dry rub. and about a cup of water. I also throw in onion, celery, a few carrots. Let that cook all day. Serve with other oven roasted veggies (summer squash, brussel sprouts, turnips, radishes, etc.). (some people will use an onion soup mix and pour over for seasoning but I don't like that much salt and chemicals).

This I haven't done (too much cooking) is to stuff/roll it with a spinach feta mushroom "stuffing". When it's sliced it's pretty with the green spiral circle. I have a friend that does it. awesome dish. If you google it you'd see what I mean. so yummy. Serve with a side of mashed cauli.

Hope your dinner turns out great.

webcrystal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 07:09 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jerikay
WOE: Low GI
Start Date: Jan. 2007
Thanks for the suggestions for the side dishes! I live in San Antonio, where you can eat Tex-Mex food 3 meals a day, 365 days a year, but I don't remember ever having Chili verde! I've had green enchiladas before, yum! I found some green enchilida sauce half price at Dollar General and can't wait to try this with refried beans, guacamole, and lo carb tortillas!

I also found chipotle peppers half price. Anybody know what to do with these?
jerikay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 07:17 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: The Chicken Lady
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic
WOE: High Fat Low Carb Diet
Start Date: July 5th 2008
Cut the pork roast into several large chuncks and throw it into the crockpot with.....

1 onion
1 - 4 ounce can diced green chiles
1 can Rotel tomatoes
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 can beef broth

Cook on high for about 4 hours or on low for 8. I also make this in my pressure cooker when I'm in a hurry. I eat it with guacamole and pork rinds to dip with. This is one of my favorite ways to cook pork.
The Chicken Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 06:51 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: webcrystal
Stats: x11/x50/wonderland (restart 3/21/14 x95)
WOE: Low Carb
Do you notice a flavor difference between it cooked in the crockpot vs pressure cooker? I have a pressure cooker but not sure if it's worth the effort vs the crockpot. I've never really used the pressure cooker yet.
webcrystal is online now   Reply With Quote