Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2014, 09:48 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Seeking
Stats: 265/241/170
WOE: Low Carb
I hate hate hate Stevia, so tell me about erythritol...

After 1 year of trying to convince myself to adapt to stevia, I have thrown up my hands in surrender. I cringe at the products I make that contain stevia. I do not want to eat them. The during-taste and after-taste is so aweful. Yuck!!!!!!

I've tried the following Stevia products in an effort to convert to stevia:
- Stevia in the Raw (has maltodextrin anyway)
- Stevia extract powder
- Truvia
- Sweetleaf liquid stevia

And my conclusion is: YUCK!!!!!!!!!! I'm done. I must disagree with the authors of "The Joys of Gluten-Free, Sugar-Free Baking" when they decided to avoid erythritol and instead use stevia products. It's just disgusting.

Now it's time for me to think about erythritol. How does it compare to Stevia in terms of taste?
Seeking is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2014, 10:03 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JHoberer
Stats: 283/177.0/170, 5'10.5", 38
WOE: 1/08: Atkins, 8/11: HCG, 7/12: JUDDD, 10/12: HCG
Try Swerve... it uses inulin and erythritol. It's the best over all sweetener for baking. I acts a lot like sugar- you can even make caramel, pralines and brittle with it. It also measure 1 for 1 like sugar.

I also use EZ-Sweetz (12 drops = 1/4 cup) and vanilla stevia (Sweetleaf = about 15 drops per 1/4 cups). I NEVER use stevia alone but in this case 1+1+1 = 4. A mix of sweeteners is just better.
JHoberer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 10:17 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bonbon41
Stats: 200+, 130, 125
WOE: NK, HFLC
Start Date: Atkins 2001, NK May 2014
I agree with Jen and second the motion for Swerve - confectioners version is best because you can use it in icings and there is less of an issue with crystals forming (however if you get Swerve regulat, you can grind it to powder in your processor too). Also agree that Stevia should be used in conjunction with other sweeteners to mask the taste (ppptooey)!

I've also come to love Just Like Sugar (chicory root/inulin). Their brown sugar version has a lovely flavor. JLS softens baked goods and ice cream, stopping things from freezing solid. I usually mix this with Swerve when using.

I love The Joy of SF GF Baking! They also introduced me to New Roots stevia sugar, which is mainly fructooligosaccharides with some Stevia too. However, you can't really taste the stevia in it.

Happy Baking!
Bonbon41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 10:41 AM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
I use swerve and xylitol. (I know, this is toxic to dogs, but I don't have one) I really like the combo of those in cooking. However, to some people swerve can have a cooling effect and a little after effect. My youngest is sensitive to the taste, so she picks up on it quickly, where I really don't notice. The only thing I didn't like with Just Like Sugar is that it isn't a 1:1 replacement. But I will keep using the brown sugar one.

I also love SF GF Baking, awesome book! Thanks for the reminder Bonbon, I'll have to check out that sweetener.

..stop thinking of it as "starting over". It's life, we don't get do-overs. You can only move forward from this point. ~~ pepperanne
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 10:57 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: oliveoyl
Stats: 208/166/165
WOE: Low Carb Primal
Start Date: August 2002
I understand: I'm so sensitive to stevia that even when I reduce the amount in a recipe to the absolute minimum I still get that bitter taste -- and the more I eat, the worse it gets! I'm trying to use Swerve, but I also get a bitter taste from that, although it's usually just an aftertaste. I think that adding too much of any sweetener creates a bad aftertaste, so right now I'm experimenting with how little sweetener I can use. Splenda works well for me and I use Ideal in chocolate recipes.
oliveoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 02:25 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: paynts
Stats: 229/196/170
Start Date: Feb. 15 2014
I understand that Stevia just does not work for some folks-tastes bitter. I am one of those lucky people.
paynts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 03:27 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JHoberer
Stats: 283/177.0/170, 5'10.5", 38
WOE: 1/08: Atkins, 8/11: HCG, 7/12: JUDDD, 10/12: HCG
Just make sure you use EZ-Sweetz instead of granular Splenda. Because they list their serving size as so small they get away with calling it 0 carbs. But it is full of maltodextrin, a sugar, and actually has 24 carbs per cup. EZ-Sweetz is pure sucralose without the maltodextrin. The cooling effect from erythritol products bothers my husband way more than me. It's rarely noticeable with my 1+1+1 sweeteners.

Last edited by JHoberer; 09-05-2014 at 03:28 PM..
JHoberer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 03:29 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
Start Date: September 2000
I know tagatose is expensive, but it's the closest to sugar that I have tried. You could try a sucralose/erythritol blend.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 11:44 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Divabunny
Stats: 215/195/160
WOE: Just making better choices
Start Date: 1/2/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
I know tagatose is expensive, but it's the closest to sugar that I have tried. You could try a sucralose/erythritol blend.
Ditto this! You will not find anything closer to the real thing than this...Love this stuff!
Divabunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 02:00 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ncredbird
Stats: 204/180/170
Start Date: January 2014
I use erythritol and love it. I also use a combo of erythritol and splenda with a 1/4 teaspoon addition of stevia with none of the bitter quality that stevia alone can impart. That being said I find that the NuNaturals Concentrated Stevia Powder doesn't give me the same bitter quality that some of the others do but I always err on the light side when adding just to be sure. I am very happy with all the above alternatives and see no need to purchase ingredients that cost more. I tend to mix the Stevia, erythritol, & Splenda in an effort to keep the cost of ingredients down and to negate the cooling effect that erythritol alone can impart.
ncredbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 10:10 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Seeking
Stats: 265/241/170
WOE: Low Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonbon41 View Post
I love The Joy of SF GF Baking! They also introduced me to New Roots stevia sugar, which is mainly fructooligosaccharides with some Stevia too. However, you can't really taste the stevia in it.

Happy Baking!
I haven't yet tried New Roots. It costs over $20/lb...ouch!!!!! I did recently sample 2 Quest bars, which have 1, 2 or 3g net cards per bar. They use fructooligosaccharides too. When I ate them I was thinking, ok countdown to gastrointestinal discomfort and loads of gas...but it never came. I will need to investigate this further.

Last edited by Seeking; 09-12-2014 at 10:13 AM..
Seeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 01:18 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I just made a pecan pie with Vitafiber for the corn syrup. Vitafiber is an fructooligosaccharide. Neither DH nor I had the least intestinal distress. I was kind of surprised myself.
Old 09-12-2014, 06:39 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
I just made a pecan pie with Vitafiber for the corn syrup. Vitafiber is an fructooligosaccharide. Neither DH nor I had the least intestinal distress. I was kind of surprised myself.
Soobee, you never fail to impress with your culinary creativity. Following your trailblaze down the quest bar path, I've ordered my vitafiber. (Argh missed the perolater guy today - thought I was dodging a marketer at the door- and now have to wait until Monday). I would be totally jazzed if I could use this as a corn syrup replacement in various applications. Just hoping tummy agrees.

Thanks so much for reporting this...huge score for us low carb cooking nerds
Old 09-13-2014, 03:17 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

You will love your Vitafiber. It makes terrific protein bars, cookies and biscotti in minutes. And I saw a recipe for microwave almond brittle which I really want to try. That recipe uses both the powder and liquid, so I have to wait for my next order.
Old 09-13-2014, 11:03 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

I can't wait to start experimenting and am keen to learn more about the recipes you are using - I'm thinking this stuff could really bring a lot to low carb baking - candies, fillings, caramel, buttercreams used to decorate, gingerbread structures perhaps... Maybe a vitafibre dedicated thread to share our findings.

In recipes calling for both the vitafiber powder and liquid, I was hoping to just use the vitafibre liquid and then sub out the powder for swerve or Just like sugar. Have you ever tried this? Or is it likely to flop? Maybe depends on how much powder is called for...

Thanks again for sharing this great info
Old 09-13-2014, 11:36 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

This is the recipe I was eying from Body Building Pantry.
VitaFiber Microwave Almond Brittle Rossella Body Building Pantry
70 g Vitafiber powder
45 g Vitafiber syrup
Your favorite sweetener, to taste
90 g almonds
1 pinch salt (optional)
1 Tbsp butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp baking soda
In a glass bowl, combine almonds, Vitafiber powder and syrup, salt. Cook in microwave for 4 to 5 minutes on High: mixture should be bubbly. Stir in butter and vanilla; cook 1 to 2 minutes longer. Quickly stir in baking soda and your favorite sweetener just until mixture is foamy. Pour immediately onto greased baking sheet. Let cool 15 minutes, or until set. Break into pieces.
Old 09-19-2014, 11:36 AM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Tinak
I also hate Stevia. I've been using Xylitol and love it.
Tinak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 12:28 PM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sheepdog
Erythol is a sugar alcohol so for some whiel it doesn't spike insulin it can break ketosis but less likely that some other choices. Stevita makes a great spinkle sugar like with no binders. However fine ground monks fruit is alos an option if you want to be safe. Hpe that helps!
sheepdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 12:34 PM   #19
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sheepdog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinak View Post
I also hate Stevia. I've been using Xylitol and love it.

Unforunately Xylitol is a bad choice. It as calories, a low glycemic index hit over a broad time range even though it doesn't spike blood sugar or insulin. Of all the sugar alcohols its one of the worst for you, its basically wood alcohol, which some suspect in high doses is poisonious. Its also a heavy laxative and will dehydrate you over time.

I've included a chart here for your review of safer alternatives.

sheepdog is offline   Reply With Quote