Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2014, 04:59 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ncredbird
Stats: 204/178/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2014
Carbalose flour and Kevin in PA's recipes

I have come across several old threads in regard to bread baking with Carbalose flour by Kevin in PA and some remarks by Jennifer Eloff to improve flavor of Carbalose flour here. Has this flour been reformulated to improve taste since Kevin posted these recipes? I see lots of comments about unfavorable taste. Also with mixing half with Jenniffer's mix can it be used for bread baking? Do Kevin's recipes result in a more satisfactory bread than so many of the egg based recipes I see posted?
ncredbird is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2014, 10:19 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LindaSL
WOE: Just LC (carb counter)
Start Date: May 2011
I started baking LC bread around the end of 2012 and have tried recipes by Jennifer Eloff as well as Kevinpa. I have never detected any off taste using Carbalose, but I have never used just Carbalose either-- every recipe is a mix of flours. Right now I bake a whole grain bread that is based on Jennifer's recipe, but tweaked a bit with some of the ingredients Kevin was known to use. Still not perfected yet but getting there. I use Kevin's pita bread recipe to make hamburger and hotdog buns. We take them with us to ball games and other events and swap the high carb buns with my buns. They work out so well one time I got worried that I was eating the wrong bun! I do think the WPI can add a little twangy taste but not the Carbalose. I've also made a coffee cake using one of Jennifer's mixes with Carbalose and it worked out great.
LindaSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:59 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: judytab
WOE: general LC
I have bought both Carbquik and Carbalose within the past 2 years and I find that they both taste much better than they did when they first came on the market. I don't know what they changed, but I don't detect the "twang" that they used to have.
judytab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:16 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Carbalose and Carbquick

I agree with Judy. These products are very much improved.
No odd taste now.
Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:05 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
I think somebody put up here that they have changed the formula. Maybe it was CarolynF.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 04:40 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ncredbird
Stats: 204/178/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2014
I thought I had heard the word "improved" relating to carbalose flour some time back but have never tried it. Will have to include it in my next order and give some of these recipes a try. The last bread that I tried was Buttoni's Einkorn loaf bread which is the best so far. May be doing low carb but still enjoy baking bread. Probably what got me in trouble in the first place.
ncredbird is offline   Reply With Quote