Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2014, 06:17 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ncredbird
Stats: 204/188/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2014
Canning with Splenda, erythritol, or Stevia

Anyone have any experience canning with erythritol, Splenda or Stevia? I have a 5 gallon bucket of cucumbers that I will be making pickles with and would like to make some low carb. If you have a recipe you have used with good results I would appreciate your posting it. Am curious about the bitterness quality that can be imparted with some of these products and don't want to end up with bitter pickles. All feedback welcomed.
ncredbird is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2014, 06:38 PM   #2
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
I've made and canned applesauce using Splenda with no issues.

We also make bread & butter pickles using it but I haven't canned those - just used them up in the fridge. We eat a lot of them so haven't bothered to can any yet!

Do a Google search for canning with Splenda and you'll find lots of helpful info that way.
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 06:52 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
I have made and canned Jam with splenda and it turned out good.
I also made freezer jam with splenda and it was good too.

I don't know about pickles, but I'd be interested in hearing any results.
I usually just make dill pickles and I use a very simple recipe...no sweetner in them.
Nigel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 07:05 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Char - could you post your bread and butter pickle recipe? I was given a bag of cucumbers and some pickles would be a good way to use some of them.
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:12 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: JJJ'sMom
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Jan. 2013
I've been making pickles using xylitol for 15 yrs. So I can't say if another sweetner would work. I just know that in the recipe that I'll post, xylitol works like sugar. Here's the recipe and then my tips........

14 day pickles aka Icicle pickles

2 gallons cucumbers, cut lengthwise or round
1 pint of "uniodized" salt (makes for a clearer pickle) dissolved in 1 gallon boiling water
Put cucumbers in glass or plastic, cover w/ boiling salted water, let stand for
7 days, stirring or shaking once each day.
8th day....pour off salted water, pour over clear water to rinse(no need to boil, just water fr. the spigot), drain. Pour over 1 gallon
of boiling water. All liquids in this recipe are boiled and then poured over cukes, kills bacteria and sets the pickle.
9th day...drain and cover w/ 1 gal. of boiling water to which you've added 2 Tblsps of
alum (found in spice section or canning section) Alum will crisp up the pickle. Let sit 24 hrs and no more.
10th day.....drain alum water, just rinse w/ clear water fr. the spigot. Make your syrup..
8 cups of vinegar, make sure it is 5% acidity (I use 6 c. white vinegar, 2 c. apple cider vinegar) 16 cups of xylitol, 2 Tblspns pickling spice. Let this come to a boil and pour over cucumbers.
11th day-13th day........drain syrup, bring to boil and pour back over pickles
14th day.....drain syrup, pack pickles into jars of choice, pour over boiling syrup
and water bath for 5 minutes.

Follow directions exactly as written for a sweet, tart pickle. I've been making these for 30+ yrs and you can't shorten the process (lol, do as I say and not as I tried doing)

Since xylitol is so much more expensive than sugar, save any leftover syrup and can in a jar by itself. When you have finished the pickles, use that expensive syrup to cook a piece of salmon in. Or just add syrup to tuna salad, etc. I buy my xylitol at xylitolusa.com, great price. Yes, expensive pickles but the only way that a diabetic can have a great homemade pickle. This type of sweet pickle isn't sold anywhere, it's one that's been made in the South forever. Any questions, feel free to post here or email me, I'm more than happy to help.
JJJ'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:18 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Sidenote to the above..........you don't have to make a "whole batch" to try these.
Figure it this way.........1/2 cup salt to 1 qt of water for your brine. (1/4 of a batch)To figure out how many cukes this will cover, cut some up, put into a container, pour on tap water and then measure that water. That will start you w/ the amt of brine you need to make. If it's more than a qt of water, take out some cukes until a qt of tap water is what you use. Then you would figure the syrup the same way based on how much brine you used. 1/4 batch of syrup, 2 c. vinegar to 4 c. xylitol, 1/2 Tblsp pickling spice.
And of course you can go even smaller w/ the batch. Point is to put cut up cukes into a container and measure w/ tap water how much brine and syrup you'll need. Make sense? Lmk if I can help.
Old 08-09-2014, 08:22 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Another sidenote.......I use xylitol only made from birch trees, not corn, etc. Xylitol does give a cooling effect in some things but not in these pickles, you can't tell the difference between xylitol and using real sugar. I can use xylitol in a lot of things and in some not, as I think we've all experienced w/ the different sugar subs.
Old 08-10-2014, 03:13 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMacB
Stats: 275/190/160
WOE: Modified Atkins/general low carb
Start Date: Feb 2012
I didn't have a good crop this year, but my goal before next summer is figure out a sf method of fig preserves. That is one of the things I miss most!
JMacB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 04:01 PM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
We have a really long thread you can check out.

You will get alot from this thread.
Canning time will be here soon and
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 05:03 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ncredbird
Stats: 204/188/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2014
Thanks Esther! I read and subscribed to the thread.
ncredbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 06:03 PM   #11
Gadget Gal

Yes, that is a great thread with lots of fantastic ideas.

I forgot we also make jams and jellies using Splenda and the no/low sugar Ball pectin. They work great. One of DH's faves is blueberry jelly, made using Trader Joe's 100% blueberry juice. It really is good.

Tweak, here are the threads with the pickle recipes I used, including pickled bread & butter jalapenos - which we love!

Fast and Easy Bread and Butter Pickles

and

Char's Bread & Butter Pickled Jalapenos

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters

Last edited by Charski; 08-10-2014 at 06:07 PM..
Old 08-10-2014, 07:13 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks, Char, for both recipes.

Now another question, I just happen to have 3 or 4 jalapenos not enough to make a batch of your pickled jalapenos, but I'm thinking of just chopping up the jalapenos and adding right into the cucumber pickles. What do you think? Would I be better off to just make 3-4 poppers? I could eat those poppers with one meal but if putting in the pickles at least I'd make them last a little longer.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:19 PM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
This one is so awesome!!!! I use her technique to make cauliflower pickles. Yum!!!

Claussen Kosher Pickle Copycat
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 02:28 PM   #14
Gadget Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker Geek View Post
Thanks, Char, for both recipes.

Now another question, I just happen to have 3 or 4 jalapenos not enough to make a batch of your pickled jalapenos, but I'm thinking of just chopping up the jalapenos and adding right into the cucumber pickles. What do you think? Would I be better off to just make 3-4 poppers? I could eat those poppers with one meal but if putting in the pickles at least I'd make them last a little longer.
*I* would do that because we love spicy stuff! I don't see how it could hurt!

I'd probably slice them into rings though, then cut each ring in half. That way you can eat them or easily pick them out if need be.
Old 08-14-2014, 07:47 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

OMG, Char, I made the pickles today--they are so good and so easy to make! I must tell you though that I totally forgot to put the jalape˝os in--can you believe that? Talk about a senior moment!