Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2014, 04:06 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: lindaokc
Stats: 196/170/140?
WOE: atkins/hcg/learning
Start Date: Feb, 07
Julienned Zucchini Vegan Bowl with Peanut-Sriracha Sauce

I'm hoping it's ok to post this recipe here.....ok here and ok with her site. It's just so yummy.

I copied this from a site I follow called Kalyns kitchen and it sounded good. I decided to make it a warm dish rather than a cold one and so I cooked the zoodles for approx 3 mi. in boiling water.
I also added more veggies than she called for, using 1/2 white onion, diced, lots more bell pepper than she called for and the next time I make it will also add broccoli, plus I sauteed them before added the rest of the ingredients, so it wasn't raw, but I'm sure it would be just as good cold.
The peanut-sriracha sauce is the yummy part and while it was too thick for us, I went ahead and added "some" water and stirred it in (maybe 1/4 c) Also didn't use near as much sriracha sauce as I am a wuss Made a yummy warm dish and was easy to put together.

Julienned Zucchini Vegan Bowl with Peanut-Sriracha Sauce

(Makes 4 servings; recipe created by Kalyn with inspiration from Whole Wheat Sesame Noodles with Spicy Peanut Sauce.)

Ingredients:
10 cups julienned zucchini (2-3 very large zucchinis)
1 cup diagonally sliced sugar snap peas
1/2 red bell pepper, cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced
1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions (or less)
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1/4 cup coarsely chopped peanuts

Sauce Ingredients:
1/3 cup + 1 T Tamari or soy sauce (I used coconut aminos)
1 T rice vinegar (not seasoned)
1 T Sriracha Sauce (more or less to taste)
1 T sesame oil
2 tsp. sugar, Splenda, or Stevia in the Raw granulated Sweetener (Use Splenda or Stevia for South Beach Diet)
1/2 cup natural peanut butter (I only had Adams 100% Natural Crunchy Peanut Butter which was fine, but I would use smooth if you have it)

Instructions:
Use a Julienne Cutter, Mandoline Slicer, or even a grater to make the zucchini noodles. I cut off the ends of the zucchini, then hold it on on end and cut with my julienne cuttter, starting in the middle and going towards the end, moving around that end of the zucchini. When you reach the seedy part, turn it over and hold by the other end and do the other half of the zucchini. If the zucchini seems fairly wet, I would drain it in a colander while you prep the other ingredients, but I don't usually need to do this. (Some people salt the zucchini to draw out the water for this type of zucchini "noodle" but I prefer the plain raw zucchini with a little crispiness.)

Mix together the Tamari or soy sauce, rice vinegar, Sriracha Sauce, sesame oil, and sweetener of your choice. Put the peanut butter in a microwave safe dish and heat in the microwave until it softens, about 15-25 seconds, depending on how powerful your microwave is. Whisk the hot peanut butter into the seasoning mixture and let the dressing cool while you prep the other ingredients.

Slice the sugar snap peas, red bell pepper, and green onion and chop the cilantro and peanuts.

Put the julienned zucchini into a bowl and toss with a generous amount of dressing, until most of the zucchini is well coated with dressing. Divide the coated zucchini into serving bowls and top each one with one-fourth of the sliced sugar snap peas, red pepper strips, sliced green onions and chopped cilantro. Drizzle a little more dressing over the vegetables, sprinkle with chopped peanuts and serve immediately.

If you're not going to need four servings of this, I would make the dressing, and slice the sugar snap peas, red pepper strips, and green onions. These ingredients could be kept in the fridge until needed but I would julienne the zucchini, chop the cilantro, and chop the peanuts right before serving.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2014, 08:45 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: paynts
Stats: 229/198/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Feb. 15 2014
Sounds amazing-I am off to the store. I just got one of those veggie julienne cutters and need something more than just pan fried zuchinni to keep me amused.
paynts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:52 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: pocahontas
This sounds delish but needs meat!! I think it would be good with shrimp or chicken or even some flank steak. Adding to my recipes....thx!
pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:11 AM   #4
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
That sounds like a great pot-luck "salad" option
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:09 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bonbon41
Stats: 200+, 134, 125
WOE: NK, HFLC