Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2014, 09:05 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chocolate Rose
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: February 2012
Vanilla Frozen Custard to Chocolate Frozen Custard?

I made the Premium Vanilla Frozen Custard from cutthewheat. I LOVE the flavor, but would like to make a chocolate version. Any suggestions on how to do this without it becoming grainy (from cocoa powder) or adding in too many carbs? I bought the stevia cocoa syrup a month or so ago because I read that someone used it in ice cream. I haven't tried it in anything yet. Do you think it would work with this recipe, or would it water down the custard too much?
Chocolate Rose is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2014, 05:11 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
I found a couple of recipes similar to the one you are using in a chocolate flavor.
Chocolate Ice Cream Joy in Our Journey
1/3 cup xylitol
1/3 cup erythritol
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3 egg yolks, beaten
2-2/3 cups heavy cream
1/8 tsp. Pure Stevia Extract
1/8 tsp. xanthan gum
1 vanilla bean, split - or 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 Tbsp. brandy or vodka or glycerin
Melt xylitol and erythritol over medium-low heat in a small saucepan. It may take as long as 10-15 minutes to melt completely and turn into syrup. Stir gently with a whisk while melting. Add vanilla bean scrapings and bean pod, if using a vanilla bean. Otherwise, wait to add the vanilla until later. Let the vanilla bean steep for 2-3 minutes with the melted xylitol/erythritol. Whisk in cocoa powder and about 1/4 cup of the measured heavy cream. Stir with whisk, until the sweetener has completely dissolved. Remove saucepan from heat. In a large bowl, beat egg yolks with an electric hand mixer until light in color. Slowly pour in the remainder of the heavy cream, a bit at a time, mixing well after each addition. Pour cocoa mixture into egg yolk mixture, beating well. Whisk in stevia, xanthan gum, and vanilla extract (if you didn't use a vanilla bean). Cover the ice cream base with plastic wrap. Chill the chocolate ice cream base in the refrigerator for at least four hours or overnight. When you are ready to make ice cream, turn on your ice cream maker. Strain the chocolate ice cream base through a fine mesh strainer as you pour the mixture into your ice cream maker, to remove any vanilla bean pieces.
Carb Fudge Chocolate Overboard Ice Cream Harini This Empty Plate
3/4 cup sugar-free chocolate, finely chopped
1/2 cup unsweetened Dutch processed cocoa powder
4 cups heavy cream or coconut milk
8 large egg yolks
1 1/4 cup sugar substitute
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
Place the chocolate in a medium bowl and place the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, turn the temperature down to low. Stir the chocolate until it has melted and is smooth. Set the bowl aside. Whisk together the cocoa powder and cream in a medium saucepan that is set to medium heat unit it begins to simmer, then remove from the heat and set aside. In another medium mixing bowl, whisk the egg yolks using an electric mixer until they are light and fluffy, gradually add the sugar substitute and continue beating the mixture until it is all combined together. Temper the cream mixture by gradually adding small amounts of the heated cream mixture to the eggs and continue beating to ensure the eggs do not cook. Pour the remaining cream, beat and pour back into the saucepan. Add the melted chocolate to this mixture. Set the heat to low and cook the mixture (while stirring continuously) until it thickens. The perfect temperature to achieve this is between 170-175 degrees F. You want the mixture to coat the back of your spoon, this is the perfect temperature. Mix in the vanilla and salt. Remove from the heat and allow it to cool for 30 minutes. Place the ice cream base in the refrigerator until it is cool to the touch or it has reached 40 degrees F, this should take 4-8 hours. Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and follow the directions provided from the manufacturer. I like to serve this with chunks of chocolate on top.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 08:38 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Thanks! Maybe cocoa powder is the way to go.
Old 07-20-2014, 12:38 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Food Lady
It is. If you mix a little boiling water into it, you'll get a deeper flavor and it will blend into the other ingredients more easily. I use a brand that's a blend of natural and dutched (dark) cocoa. I put it in my coffee every single day.
Food Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:34 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Food Lady View Post
It is. If you mix a little boiling water into it, you'll get a deeper flavor and it will blend into the other ingredients more easily. I use a brand that's a blend of natural and dutched (dark) cocoa. I put it in my coffee every single day.
Thanks! I have Dutch cocoa and was planning on using it. I'm hoping to make it today.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:15 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

I made another batch of the Premium Vanilla Frozen Custard, but added in a couple of tablespoons of cocoa powder and a couple of teaspoons of the Stevia Cocoa Syrup. I also added in 1/2 Tbs of vodka in the hopes that it would help to keep it from freezing solid. The syrup has glycerin in it, so that should help, too. It came out with a very light chocolate flavor, so next time I'll have to try adding more cocoa powder. Even so, it's very yummy!
Old 07-21-2014, 10:31 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Food Lady
I wonder if it would work in a popsicle mold?
Food Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:13 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Food Lady View Post
I wonder if it would work in a popsicle mold?
I bet it would. I tried in when I got home from work tonight and it's scoopable, so I'm happy.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:08 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Some coffee will deepen the chocolate flavor too. Just a bit.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 07:49 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watcher513 View Post
Some coffee will deepen the chocolate flavor too. Just a bit.
OH, good thinking!!