Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Tempura recipe (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/83416-tempura-recipe.html)

codysmom 04-03-2003 10:10 AM

Tempura recipe

I had an Atkins book from the mid '80's, that I unfortunately gave away a couple years ago, when I bought the more recent printings. This book contained a tempura recipe that I can not find in any of this current books. I believe this is how it goes:

2 T sesame seeds
2 T cottage cheese
2 whole eggs
salt/pepper to taste (I used seasoned salt)

Blend until smooth in a blender.

I used this recipe to coat shrimp and deep fry. It was better than any store bought, full-carb product I've ever used, and periodically used it even after I'd gone back to my old ways of eating. I'd like to try it with onions and various vegetables once I'm on OWL (I'm on day 3 of induction).

Is anyone familiar with this recipe, or the old Atkins book for that matter?

Thanks,

Susan

Terri 02-24-2013 12:13 PM

A little late, but I found this doing a search for a low-carb tempura batter recipe:

Atkins Tempura Batter

A low carb tempura batter Ingredients

0.19 cup sesame seeds
3 medium eggs
1/8 cup, small curd cottage cheese

Directions:
Place seeds in blender and crush.
Add cottage cheese, eggs, and season salt.
Blend until smooth.
Place shrimp or vegetables in batter. Fry until golden brown.

CarenL 02-24-2013 01:03 PM

Yes, a bit tardy. :hyst: As in 10 years. :hyst: But thanks nonetheless!

whoknew 02-24-2013 10:12 PM

By golly, it's better late than never! and this sounds interesting -- must try!

LindaSue 02-25-2013 07:15 AM

I wonder how anyone ever came up with that idea. I just happen to have all of those ingredients on hand so maybe I'll try frying some fish with it.

LindaSue 02-25-2013 07:22 AM

I have a copy of the original Atkins book and the recipe is in there.

Quote:

TEMPURA
3 tablespoons sesame seeds, crushed in a blender
3 eggs
2 tablespoons cottage cheese
10 shakes seasoned salt

Place all of the ingredients in a blender and blend for 3 minutes.

Makes 4 servings
There are no instructions for the actual frying.

Tweaker Geek 02-25-2013 05:53 PM

I love hc tempura, I'll be watching to see if anyone tries this lc recipe. I don't have any cottage cheese or I'd try it myself.

watcher513 02-26-2013 04:35 AM

Tempura green beans, yum.

dlk35 02-26-2013 06:58 AM

Dosen't tempura have to be chilled ?

lazy girl 02-26-2013 07:28 AM

which oil

This is enough to send me to the store for shrimp. I have a question, which oil do you use for deep frying? I'm getting rid of all our hydrogenated oils. Do you think that coconut oil would be good for this tempura?

dlk35 02-26-2013 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lazy girl (Post 16281404)
This is enough to send me to the store for shrimp. I have a question, which oil do you use for deep frying? I'm getting rid of all our hydrogenated oils. Do you think that coconut oil would be good for this tempura?

Peanut oil is best,coconut oil dosen't hold up well with high temps.All of your other oils are alright...