Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2014, 09:12 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Einkorn Sandwich/Hamburger Buns

I'm still in shock how good these came out. Am going to try them with a little less Einkorn next time to see if I can pull the carbs down a bit. But this roll is just amazing as is. I even froze them and they reheated marvelously. Toast better than any breads I've made to date, too. No cravings, no weight gain.

I can’t take full credit for this recipe. My inspirational recipe was Maria Emmerich’s “Healthified Sub” recipe. I had tried to make that bread on a previous occasion with Konsyl psyllium. Big mistake. Had to toss the whole mess into the trash can, as the dough was a brick and impossible to work with. Clearly Konsyl is a unique psyllium product.

I finally ordered some NOW band Psyllium Husk Powder to test the recipe again and did so today. You all know I’m hopelessly addicted to tweaking recipes, so I made just a few changes. I added a small amount of Einkorn flour. I will probably reduce the amount next time to pull the carbs down a bit. I also added 1 tsp. of dry yeast for flavor, reduced salt and increased the water to 1 cup. These had 659 mg/827mg sodium respectively as the recipe was originally written. I can’t handle that much sodium in just one bun so I greatly reduced the salt.

I wanted very much to substitute whey liquid previously drained off yogurt for the boiling water in these, but that would have jacked up the carbs too high, so I opted to just use water. The whey liquid may be a future experiment, however, as well as a rye and pumpernickel versions. Stay tuned.

Man, the house smelled like a bakery while these were baking…..you know that yeast-y smell?! These rose nicely (about double) and have a very nice texture inside, as you can see in the photos above and below. They have the mouth feel of real yeast bread, perhaps a wee bit more “elastic”, but not unpleasantly so. These were simply DELICIOUS!! I got five 3″ small buns from this recipe. Being made with psyllium, these are VERY filling.

I then turned around and made the recipe a second time, making just four larger 4″ hamburger buns.

It goes without saying this recipe is not suitable until you reach the grains rung of the Atkins carb reintroduction ladder in Pre-Maintenance or Maintenance due to the Einkorn Flour. I order my Einkorn Flour from JovialFoods.com. I order my NOW psyllium husk powder from Netrition.com.

If you want a lower carb bun, either reduce the Einkorn flour above, or I would just make Maria’s bun as her recipe is written, but I would still add the yeast, as that added a lovely yeast taste and aroma to these buns.

UPDATE: These freeze beautifully for up to 1 month. Reheat directly on the oven grate for about 10 minutes at 350 minutes. The crust will get semi-crusty and chewy again. Man, these are like eating REAL BREAD! Not sure I need to do anymore bread experimenting.

INGREDIENTS:

1½ c. almond flour
5 T. psyllium husk powder
2 tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. sea salt (I used Himalayan Pink Salt)
1 tsp. dry yeast
¼ c. Einkorn Flour
2½ T. apple cider vinegar
3 egg whites
1 c. boiling water

DIRECTIONS: Preheat oven to 350º. Mix all the dry ingredients in a medium mixing bowl. Stir well to be sure it is uniformly mixed. Mix the egg whites and vinegar in a small bowl with a fork and add all at once to the dry ingredients. Stir quickly with the fork, to make a thick dough. Pour the boiling water over the dough and using the fork, stir into a smooth liquid. Transfer to using a rubber spatula and continue to stir and fold as it thickens up. Portion off 5 equal portions (using your spatula) in the bowl (mark off only 4 portions if making the larger hamburger buns). Roll each portion in your palms into a round ball. Place on non-stick, silicone lined or oiled baking sheet. Press them down to about 1″ thick. They don’t spread much, so be sure you are shaping them the size you want right now. Pop into preheated oven and bake for about 45 minutes. Cool partially before attempting to slice or they will get pack-y inside just like regular flour bread when sliced too hot.

NUTRITIONAL INFO:

Makes five 3″ sandwich buns, each contains: 247 calories, 17 g fat, 20.16 g carbs, 11.18 g fiber, 8.98 g NET CARBS, 10.46 g protein, 308 mg sodium

Makes four 4″ hamburger buns, each contains: 309 calories, 21.2 g fat, 25.2 g carbs, 13.97 g fiber, 11.23 g NET CARBS, 13.1 g protein, 385 mg sodium

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2014, 11:24 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
They look scrumptious!! Thank you for the recipe.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 02:37 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
I might be able to try this thanks Peggy.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 06:40 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hope you guys like these. The flavor and texture of these shames all my other bread recipes to date. Just mind boggling. Even my picky husband who still only eats bakery breads, said they taste like real yeast bread.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 08:10 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Posting to this thread also. I put this information on the original Einkorn Flour board.

I found Einkorn Flour at Raley's today (Northern California) and they are the parent company of Bel Air and Nob Hill grocery stores also. I don't know if the other stores have it also because there aren't any in my area.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:15 AM   #6
Administrator

Gallery: Kathy
Thanks for posting this! Netrition should have Einkorn flour in stock soon. I'll post when it becomes available for sale.
Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 10:47 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
Watcher--they also have it at Olivers, along with the premade Einkorn pasta--
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 03:10 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Thank you Ouizoid. That's good to know about Olivers since I'm a lot closer to them, under a mile.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 07:44 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
me too! although there are 3 lol. I'm near the montecito one--
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:07 AM   #10
Administrator

Gallery: Kathy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy View Post
Thanks for posting this! Netrition should have Einkorn flour in stock soon. I'll post when it becomes available for sale.
Just got this in stock.
Jovial Foods Einkorn All Purpose Flour
Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 12:29 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy View Post
Just got this in stock.
Jovial Foods Einkorn All Purpose Flour
cool beans...I like the price too! Thank you.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:20 PM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Wow that's not a bad price!! Thanks Kathy for letting us know.

Peggy they look so good.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 01:28 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

They really are good, Esther. Wish they were whiter, but hey, I can eat tan bread. I think I can stop experimenting with bread recipes now. Even my HUSBAND likes these! Yes, you heard me right. My fussy won't-eat-any-bread-but-bakery-bread husband likes these! And I'm real pleased to see Netrition picking up Einkorn flour in their product line!
Old 07-23-2014, 09:15 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sherrymyra
look scrumptious
sherrymyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:05 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

We had these with burgers tonight for the first time and man, were they good as burger buns. They didn't fall apart before we consumed the entire burger. Even my husband said they held up better to the hot meat than a regular store-bought bun.
Old 07-26-2014, 02:56 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bonbon41
Stats: 200+, 130, 125
WOE: Keto-paleo/HFLC
Start Date: Atkins 2001, NK May 2014
You are a downright inspiration! I'd love to try but the psyllium causes internal combustion. Any ideas to substitute psyllium welcome
Bonbon41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 05:34 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm practicing your recipe today, Peggy.

I did two different batches with some minor tweaks just for kicks.

I am waiting for the second batch to bake.

The first batch was delicious!! I might need to replace my yeast and/or baking powder cuz they didn't rise much.

But this is definitely a keeper for me!! Thank you so much.

I had to have one as soon as they cooled with some homemade s/f blueberry jam...YUM!YUM!YUM!

p.s. Best of all, finally a bread that didn't need to be toasted to tolerate. It didn't even need butter on it or anything.

Last edited by Nigel; 07-27-2014 at 05:37 PM..
Old 07-27-2014, 07:47 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Amen on your p.s., Nigel. so delighted you like these. They do taste real good toasted, but like you say, they are just fine without it. Oh, I have to have butter on mine. I can't believe how much they smell and taste like real yeast rolls.

Last edited by buttoni; 07-27-2014 at 07:51 PM..
Old 07-27-2014, 07:50 PM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonbon41 View Post
You are a downright inspiration! I'd love to try but the psyllium causes internal combustion. Any ideas to substitute psyllium welcome
Just no possible substitute for the psyllium in these, Bonbon. Sorry. It is what creates the dough. It's the primary volumizer, in other words. That would be like leaving the glucomannan out of my glucomannan dumplings. Or leaving the milk/cream out of pudding. What's left just wouldn't make a dough you could bake. I have other roll recipes on my website that don't use psyllium, but it's the psyllium that is the magic in this recipe.

Last edited by buttoni; 07-27-2014 at 07:57 PM..
Old 07-27-2014, 07:55 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonbon41 View Post
Just no possible substitute for the psyllium in these, Bonbon. It is what creates the dough. It's the primary volumizer, in other words. That would be like leaving the glucomannan out of my glucomannan dumplings. Or leaving the milk/cream out of pudding. What's left just wouldn't make a dough you could bake. I have some other roll recipes on my website you could browse through that don't use psyllium, but it's the psyllium that is the magic in this one. Search the forums here for my Rosemary-Onion Dinner Rolls. They're real good.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:55 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bonbon41
Stats: 200+, 130, 125
WOE: Keto-paleo/HFLC
Start Date: Atkins 2001, NK May 2014
Thanks Buttoni - appreciate your help. Will definitely try your rosemary rolls.
Bonbon41 is offline   Reply With Quote