Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2014, 02:44 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: paid4c4
Lupini Beans make tasty treat

After reading several other threads about tasty lupini beans I decided to try them. You can buy lupini beans ready to eat in jars from many sources. I decided to order the dry whole lupini beans and fix them myself. There are many thread on the web about preparing lupini beans for consumption. First I washed and sorted the beans. Second was a soak in salt water for a week, rinsing them and using new salt water daily. After a week I lightly boiled the beans for ten minutes leaving the beans in the hot water to cool. Once cooled the beans went back into salt water to soak for another week, changing the water everyday. After a week I lightly boiled the beans for a second time for 5 minutes, leaving the beans in the water to cool. The beans went back into salt water to soak another couple of days. You can test the beans at any time in this process to see if they are ready. The beans have a toxic bitter taste and soaking them in salt water removes the toxins and bitter taste. When the bitter taste was gone I rinsed and dried the beans and placed them into a sealed lid glass bowl. In the bowl I added a small amount of olive oil with several small toes of garlic crushed up in the oil with a little sea salt and freshly ground coarse pepper. I then coated the beans in the oil and let them set a while. Then came the taste test WOW they sure are good. A carb friendly treat high in fiber and taste.
Bill
paid4c4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2014, 10:33 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JHoberer
Stats: 283/177.0/170, 5'10.5", 38
WOE: 1/08: Atkins, 8/11: HCG, 7/12: JUDDD, 10/12: HCG
My goodness! And I thought my brisket takes a long time!!
JHoberer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 05:57 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: paid4c4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHoberer View Post
My goodness! And I thought my brisket takes a long time!!
Briskets are an entirely different story but it does take a while for a good brisket. Speaking of which I am smoking one for the 4th of July!!!!
Please share your brisket receipt.
Bill
paid4c4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:29 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: grneyedldy
I've seen them in jars at Harris Teeter. I personally can't imagine going through the effort to do my own.
grneyedldy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:42 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JHoberer
Stats: 283/177.0/170, 5'10.5", 38
WOE: 1/08: Atkins, 8/11: HCG, 7/12: JUDDD, 10/12: HCG
How I make my brisket
JHoberer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 09:45 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
I bought some lupine beans in a jar from Italy.
They were gosh awful....Hopefully the fresh are the way to go.
Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 09:31 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: That Girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by paid4c4 View Post
After reading several other threads about tasty lupini beans I decided to try them. You can buy lupini beans ready to eat in jars from many sources. I decided to order the dry whole lupini beans and fix them myself. There are many thread on the web about preparing lupini beans for consumption. First I washed and sorted the beans. Second was a soak in salt water for a week, rinsing them and using new salt water daily. After a week I lightly boiled the beans for ten minutes leaving the beans in the hot water to cool. Once cooled the beans went back into salt water to soak for another week, changing the water everyday. After a week I lightly boiled the beans for a second time for 5 minutes, leaving the beans in the water to cool. The beans went back into salt water to soak another couple of days. You can test the beans at any time in this process to see if they are ready. The beans have a toxic bitter taste and soaking them in salt water removes the toxins and bitter taste. When the bitter taste was gone I rinsed and dried the beans and placed them into a sealed lid glass bowl. In the bowl I added a small amount of olive oil with several small toes of garlic crushed up in the oil with a little sea salt and freshly ground coarse pepper. I then coated the beans in the oil and let them set a while. Then came the taste test WOW they sure are good. A carb friendly treat high in fiber and taste.
Bill
I just wanted to add to this that the lupine bean water is toxic. In Italy when my mom was little, they used to use the water from the beans to treat Lice in kid's school when there would be an outbreak of it...Yep, very toxic!
That Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 09:33 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: That Girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbo View Post
I bought some lupine beans in a jar from Italy.
They were gosh awful....Hopefully the fresh are the way to go.
I don't eat them straight from the jar, I rinse them off with a couple of water baths before I eat them...They are wayyy to salty for me unless they are rinsed.
They are good and I am pretty sure they are low carb.
That Girl is offline   Reply With Quote