Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2014, 04:37 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Iwantlessofme
Stats: Well on my way to fantastic!!
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: Every single day, day in day out
Capella drops and LorAnn oils...

I just received my Netrition order and I bought some Capella drops and LorAnn oils. I am here seeking ideas and recipes to use them with. Being that I am new to both products, specifics would be helpful.

I would like to know how to use them to flavor low carb muffins, low carb shakes, low carb frapps, low carb smoothies, low carb cheesecakes, or anything else I may be missing out on .

Thank you,

Mindy
Iwantlessofme is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2014, 07:27 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: locarbman
Stats: 289/180/185
WOE: Atkins/Maintenance
Start Date: September 1998
Hi, Lorann pretty much leaves it up to your taste buds...they recommend a "few drops" in most recipes... ;-)

From their site:

More uses for LorAnn Flavoring Oils
· If your recipe calls for orange, lemon or lime zest, use a few drops of flavoring instead.
· If you're making homemade jams and jellies, add a bit of LorAnn Flavoring Oil (Strawberry Flavor for strawberry jam, etc.) for a great flavor boost.
· Try a few drops of Raspberry or Peach Flavoring in your iced tea.
· Add a few drops of Orange Flavoring to your favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe.
· Add 1/2 teaspoon of Pineapple Flavoring to any boxed white cake mix. While still warm, top with a glaze made with powdered sugar, milk and a few drops of Pineapple Flavoring for a delicious tropical treat.
· Use a few drops in your recipe for homemade beer. Try pumpkin, apricot, raspberry or your favorite flavor!

Many of their flavorings use propylene glycol as a medium...just another name for glycerine.

For my liquid stevia orange sugar free syrup I used:
1t Homemade Liquid Stevia (= 4c sugar, 0 carbs)
5d(rops) Lorann Orange Oil (0 carbs)
3T Glycerin (0 carbs)
1/8t Salt (0 carbs)
1/2t Xanthan Gum (0 carbs)
25oz Water (0 carbs)

You can vary ingredients depending on the amount/strength/texture/flavor/sweetness you desire for any given use...hope this helps!

locarbman... ;-)
locarbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 10:26 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eagle eye
WOE: Low Carb
I love lorann and Capella drops. I use them to flavor my shakes. the Capella drops are to be used one drop per ounce of liquid.

Tonight I tossed some strawberries, almond milk , xylitol,ice, glucomannan powder, heavy whipping cream and Capella sweet strawberry drops in the blender. What a delicious strawberry shake.
eagle eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 05:10 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Iwantlessofme
Stats: Well on my way to fantastic!!
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: Every single day, day in day out
Thank you Locarbman and eagle eye for your ideas. So far I have used them for coffee, frapps, cheesecake and flax hot cereal. As of this time I am not that impressed. I am not sure if I am not using them correctly or maybe not enough.

I have Boston Cream Pie, Pumpkin Pie, Blueberry Crumble, Red Velvet cake, New York Cheesecake, Birthday Cake and Salted Caramel. Not sure what to do next.

Mindy
Iwantlessofme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 01:19 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
I did like not any of the Capella drops at all. I thought they were weak and very artificial tasting.

I do use LorAnn sometimes but you have to use very sparingly, they're not kidding when they say drops, a couple drops of apple on chayote squash really gives them a apple taste. I made the mistake of trying to pour out a drop or too and got way too much and that was nasty. I now keep a glass eye dropper that came out of a bottle of liquid stevia and use that instead and rinse it out afterwards. You do lose some flavoring that way but better a few drops of flavoring than a whole dish of food.

I really like the organic Frontier flavorings and also some of the McCormick but you do have to use more of them. I used 2 tsps of the Frontier brand maple flavoring in my homemade Maple Nut ice cream the other day and it was great.
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 01:55 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ncgirl
I find them both to be a bit hit or miss....really like the graham cracker and vanilla cupcake Capella flavors, but I think my expectations for the chocolate flavors were a bit too high (I like them, just not as much as I hoped). It's been a while since I've purchased the Lorann flavors, but I did like the variety they had (I think I ordered the taffy and cotton candy flavors, just to be unique).
ncgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:47 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JHoberer
Stats: 283/177.0/170, 5'10.5", 38
WOE: 1/08: Atkins, 8/11: HCG, 7/12: JUDDD, 10/12: HCG
I use the popcorn one as corn flavoring... see my tamale pie thread (also Doritos type dehydrator chips, "corn" tortillas)
JHoberer is offline   Reply With Quote