Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2014, 08:20 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Einkorn Loaf Bread

I'm very pleased with my latest Einkorn flour experiment. This bread has an amazing taste and texture.

I took my Lupin Flour Bread recipe and did some major tweaking to come up with a delicious Einkorn Loaf Bread today. My husband even said this was quite good and he’s real hard to please with low-carb baking. It has a nice elastic mouth feel one finds in a good traditional yeast bread. I even included some dissolved yeast but I think it only impacts flavor, not rise. There’s not enough gluten in 2 T. Einkorn flour for proper yeast “action”. But it does give a little yeast taste.

I am not eating baked goods right now, so I only tasted and my husband will get to finish off this loaf. This should make very nice sandwiches and slices into fourteen ½” slices. The loaf didn’t rise up to the top of the pan but it domes up nicely. It doesn’t toast a lot better than most low-carb breads, but the crust toasts quite nicely. Flavor is nice toasted. I think next time I’ll try separating the eggs and beating the whites to stiff peaks and folding them into the thicker portion of the batter after the boiling water has been incorporated into it. That should fluff the batter more and render a higher rise loaf.

I order my Einkorn flour from Jovial Foods website. It’s less expensive than many low-carb baking "flours". But Einkorn is real, ancient wheat, that has not been hybridized like most modern wheat. I do use only the tiniest amounts in recipes when experimenting. I have not found it causes carb cravings. YMMV. It brings so much texture and flavor to the final product and for little carb impact because I keep the amounts so low.

EINKORN LOAF BREAD

DRY INGREDIENTS:

½ c. almond flour
2 T. Einkorn flour
½ c. egg white protein
2 T. oat fiber
2 T. coconut flour
1 T. baking powder
2 T. golden flax meal (dark flax can be used for a darker, nuttier-tasting bread)
¼ tsp. sea salt
3 T. psyllium husk powder (I use NOW brand)

WET INGREDIENTS:

1 tsp. dry yeast dissolved in 2 T. warm water + pinch sugar
5 large eggs, beaten
3 T. olive oil
¼ c. egg whites (from a carton)
½ c. boiling water (added very last)

DIRECTIONS: Preheat oven to 350º. Grease or oil a standard 5×8″ loaf pan and set aside. Dissolve yeast in 2 T. warm water and add a tiny pinch sugar. Set aside. In a large mixing bowl, measure out all dry ingredients. Stir well. In another medium bowl, ad the first 5 wet ingredients (all but the boiling water) and beat with a fork. Add the dissolved yeast mixture to the wet ingredients and stir. Now add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and beat well using a rubber spatula. Slowly add the boiling water to the batter and mix until smooth. Spoon better into greased loaf pan and bake at 350º for 30 minutes and test for doneness with toothpick. If not done, cook 5-10 minutes longer. Remove from oven and in a few minutes, tip onto board to finish cooling. Stats below are calculated for 14 slices ½” thick. I will also provide numbers for entire loaf so that you can figure out your for the number of slices you choose to cut.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 14 slices, each contains:

106 calories
7.34 g fat
5.60 g carbs, 3.37 g fiber, 2.23 g NET CARBS
4.15 g protein
190.6 mg sodium

Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2014, 11:52 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Awesome!! Thank you for the recipe too!
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 11:57 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
Wow, Buttoni, that's awesome. At some point, I will make this and see if my gluten sensitive daughter can eat it. She'd love having bread back!
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 12:14 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JHoberer
Stats: 283/177.0/170, 5'10.5", 38
WOE: 1/08: Atkins, 8/11: HCG, 7/12: JUDDD, 10/12: HCG
That is a gorgeous looking loaf! I can almost smell the yeast...
JHoberer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:03 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Tastes like yeast, too, Jen. But in a few, I'm going to post one with Einkorn and psyllium that came out even better, if that's possible. Stay tuned.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 08:07 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
I was at Raley's today (Northern California stores) and just happened to walk down the bulk bin aisle. Opposite of those bins is where the artificial sweeteners and different flours we use are. I just happened to look at the bottom shelf and saw a package that said Jovial Foods. It was the Einkorn Flour! 2 lb. pkg. for 7.49.

I don't know if Raley's other stores carry it or not but for those in Northern California it might be worth calling unless you shop there all the time anyway. Raley's is the parent company of Bel Air and Nob Hill grocery stores also.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:23 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

That's about what it costs on-line. Lucky you!
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote