Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2014, 12:40 PM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Begete
Stats: 3/24/13 188.4/165/140 Restart 2/16. 171/157.4/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2/1/2003 at 199
Is there a formula?

I have been low carbing a long time, but am not the world's best chef.

I own bags of carbalose flour, almond flour, coconut flour, etc, and if I follow recipes from the recipe room here, most of the time they come out OK, but always seem a bit dry.

When I try to adapt non low carb recipes, however, using such ingredients, I usually end up throwing the final result away as inedible.

I think what I am lacking is knowledge of food chemistry. So I am wondering if anyone can provide some guidance. Two examples? Pie crust using coconut flour and scones using half coconut flour and half carbalose flour. Had to discard both, as they were so dry. I would love to use more coconut flour because it is cheaper, better tasting, very high fiber content, etc, than almond flour, for example.

I read one must add more liquid to coconut flour or more eggs, but I just cannot seem to come up with the correct proportions. Any advice, suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2014, 12:46 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
This is just a guess, but maybe using almond flour and coconut flour would produce better results.

I haven't used carbalose much and when I did, I didn't care for the results, but I'm just a novice.

If you go to buttoni's site, she has several pie crust recipes there. I hope this helps.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 12:51 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Begete
Stats: 3/24/13 188.4/165/140 Restart 2/16. 171/157.4/130
Start Date: 2/1/2003 at 199
Thanx. I found buttoni by google.

Last edited by Begete; 06-15-2014 at 12:56 PM..
Begete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 01:36 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TBipp
Stats: 142/112/120, 5 ft 2 in
WOE: Combined low carb
Start Date: 05/23/2011
It will be challenging to use coconut flour as a major component. As you have noticed, it is very dry. Many of the successful recipes have a small amount of coconut flour compared to the almond flour; i.e., 1/4 cup coconut flour and 1 1/4 cup almond flour is in a coffee cake recipe I use. I have never even seen it used at 50% volume--it is more like 20-25%.

Regarding the use of either of these ingredients instead of wheat flour, you cannot substitute one for one and you will need to make other changes; i.e., you will need to use almost twice as much almond flour as wheat flour and you will need to reduce the fat in the recipe. Caroline wrote in her blog, All Day I Dream about Food, about the adjustments necessary when substituting almond flour for wheat flour. It is a long article with great pointers.
TBipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 03:19 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
Start Date: which time?
Hi Begete, yep, learning to cook all over, again, is a pain and can get expensive. I ditched all the carbalose, soy, etc. after finding out my DD#3 was gluten intolerant. And it was just getting to be too much.

I have found awesome cooks here and the internet. Buttoni, LindaSue just to name a couple. TBipp mentioned all day I dream about food, I concur, she's awesome. But also checkout Maria Emmerich, Elana's pantry, and I Breathe I'm hungry. I've found links through them that are awesome too.

Elana's pantry has a vanilla cupcake recipe that I've made several times. They are amazing. Coconut flour and eggs. I like her 'scones' too, but I like Carolyn's too. These are a great start but I can't believe how much you can find on the net. It can get a little overwhelming. Happy cooking!

..stop thinking of it as "starting over". It's life, we don't get do-overs. You can only move forward from this point. ~~ pepperanne
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 03:59 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
Start Date: September 2000
It's taken a while, but I feel that I can make almost anything low carb now. I find everyone else's experiments fascinating.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 05:38 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: theBeave
I had read a tip regarding coconut flour that when used in a recipe in which it was not originally used, one needs to add an equal amount of liquid above and beyond the wet ingredients already listed in the original recipe.

Coconut flour should really only be a portion of the 'flour' in your recipe. Especially when adapting your own from conventional recipes. Each flour adds their own flavor, texture, and baking properties.

That is to say, when the recipe calls for 2 cups of flour, and you want to substitute 1/4c of that volume as coconut flour, you need to add an extra 1/4c of some kind of liquid; eggs, butter, etc... Note: I am not sure this rule holds up on the 'cup' scale, but works well on the fractional-cup level.
theBeave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:42 PM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
I also have been doing this for years. Low carb baking is another animal.I have a good handle on it now.I'm grain free. I don't use carbalose but Kevin used it and had good results. Have you looked at any of Kevins recipes?I made Kevins carbalose bread many years ago and carbquik recipes.His recipes are wonderful.

I can only use almond and coconut flour.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:10 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Grammy G
Stats: 235/185/150
WOE: Paleo
I use Buttoni's pie crust. It's the only low carb dessert my husband will eat.

Low Carb Pie Crust

1 cup + 2 Tbsp. Carbalose Flour
1/2 c. + 1 Tbsp. shortening or butter (I used shortening)
1/4 tsp. salt
1 small egg
1/4 c. cold water
1/4 t. vinegar

Mix Carbalose, salt and resistant wheat starch together. Use a fork or pastry cutter to cut in the shortening until the mixture is similar to small little peas. Mix the egg and vinegar into the water and add to the flour/shortening mixture. Mix together. Take a handful of dough and roll out between 2 pieces of seran wrap that has been dusted with flour or Carbalose. Roll thin. Makes 2 pie crusts.
Grammy G is offline   Reply With Quote