Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2014, 01:34 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Emita
Stats: 115/101/95
WOE: LCHF (<30 total carbs)
Start Date: June 2013
stray ingredients: greek yogurt & egg whites

Hey all! I accidentally ruined two batches of hollandaise this morning, and succeeded on my third (half batch).

Now I have about... 8 egg whites and no idea what to do with them!! I also inherited a coworker's fage 2% unsweetened yogurt.

Anyone has (preferably easy!) recipe ideas for using up egg whites or yogurt? I thought about yo cheese, but dunno what I'd eat it with and have never tried it.

I just made a batch of maria emmerich's protein buns and a flopped protein bread loaf (took it out too early) and was thinking of making her batter into pancakes... but I'd prefer something more creative. Most pancake recipes use whole eggs...

Ideas?
Emita is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2014, 02:15 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
Lauren at Healthy Indulgences has a recipe for Golden Cranberry Pavlova. I also found these recipes for meringues which are then used in other recipes using yogurt-Protein Pavlovas and Eton Mess. I have other recipes, I'm sure. I will check.
Protein Meringue Mind Muscle Yoga
3 egg whites
1tsp Stevia
3 scoops/38g Vanilla whey (I used Reflex)
½ tsp. vanilla extract
Pre-heat the oven to low – about 75 degrees. Whisk egg whites in a clean bowl until they form soft peaks (this takes about 3 minutes with an electric whisk, hand whisking will take a lot longer – but a good arm workout!) Mix in the Stevia and vanilla extract. Whisk in the Vanilla whey. The mixture will go more liquidy at this point (might be worth trying with pea protein) so won’t look like normal meringue mixture. But this is no normal meringue! It should be a very thick, almost angel delight-y. If eating raw eggs doesn’t worry you then it would be perfectly palatable without cooking. Divide the mixture between small cake tins (I use these 11” ones but improvise and use what you have) and bake for 50-60 minutes until the outside is crispy and the inside is chewy.
Protein Pavlovas
1 Quantity of Meringue mixture divided into 2 tins
150g Greek Yogurt
1tsp Stevia
2 scoops/25g Vanilla Whey
Fresh fruit
Remove the meringues from the tins and leave to cool. Mix the Greek Yogurt with the Stevia and vanilla whey and divide between the center of the meringues. Top with a pretty array of sliced fruit.
Protein Eton Mess Anna
1 Quantity of Meringue Mixture
200g Greek Yogurt
1tsp Stevia
3 scoops/38g Vanilla Whey
Fresh fruit
Crumble the meringues into little piece Mix the yogurt with the stevia and whey and slice the fruit. Layer the meringue, yogurt and fruit into a glass or mix up in a bowl.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 02:20 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Here is a recipe for high protein brownies. I made these once and they were pretty good.
High Protein Brownies Shannon Healthful Balance
3 tablespoons coconut flour
2 1/2 tablespoons cocoa powder
5 egg whites
3 1/2 oz. water (ca. 70-75 ml)
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
Sweetener of choice, 5-7 packets stevia
Preheat your oven to 350°F. Put all the DRY ingredients into a bowl and mix it up. Then add the wet ingredients and mix well. Cover a small baking tin with baking paper and put the mixture on it. Evenly spread out the mixture with a spoon or spatula. Put in the oven and let it bake for 15 min.

Today I made Moussaka. The sauce over the moussaka is made with yogurt. Would something like that interest you?
Old 06-14-2014, 02:39 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Thank you so much Soobee, these all sound super easy and delicious!

I think I will do the protein brownies. I think I'll add some oil to the recipe... needs more fat! I presume an 8x8 pan would be fine for that recipe.

If I can get some fruit I'll try the pavolvas.. shame I just went to the store, too!

I do love moussaka and have been thinking of making some, but it's difficult and would heat up the house quite a bit with all the oven time. I have the moussaka recipe from Ginny's low carb kitchen.

Please do share the one you're thinking of, even though I don't have the ingredients at the moment.

Last edited by Emita; 06-14-2014 at 02:47 PM..
Old 06-14-2014, 04:31 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

This is the one I made today. But the egg yolks used compound your egg white problem. I have more than a dozen recipes collected, but this one was delish. I used 1/2 beef and 1/2 lamb. I also nuked the eggplant slices 5 minutes for each eggplant before frying. By the way, I usually assemble the dish, and then nuke portions as needed without bothering to bake the casserole.
Moussaka Libby Ditch the Carbs
Lamb Mince Layer
1 red onion
2 cloves garlic
2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
500g minced lamb
½ tsp ground nutmeg
½tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp ground cloves
1 tsp dried oregano
Salt/pepper to taste
Eggplant Layer
Extra virgin olive oil
2-3 eggplants (aubergines)
Bechamel Sauce
300ml natural unsweetened yogurt
100g feta crumbled
3 egg yolks
Salt/pepper to taste
Set the oven to 350 then start making the minced lamb layer. Fry the diced onion in the olive oil. Add the garlic and cook until the onion is clear. Add the minced lamb and continue to cook until all the meat is slightly browned. Add the tomatoes and spices, and then cook on a low heat for 15 minutes while you make the other layers. Slice the eggplants into 1-2cm slices. Heat a generous amount of olive oil in a frying pan, and fry the slices until golden on both sides. As the eggplant slices are fried, place them in a single layer on the bottom of the baking pan. Keep half the slices for another layer once we assemble the moussaka. In a measuring jug, put the yogurt, crumbled feta and egg yolks. Whisk together with a fork. Place the lamb mixture onto the baking dish that already has half the eggplant slices lining the bottom. Place the remaining eggplant slices, then pour the béchamel sauce over the entire dish. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese if you like. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.
Old 06-14-2014, 06:33 PM   #6
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
I'll give you a shortcut for the eggplant - slice thinly, put in single layer on two parchment paper lined baking sheets, brush lightly (or spray) with olive oil, bake in 400* preheated oven til browning on bottom - check in 5 minutes, go from there. Flip over and brown on second side.

SO much easier than spattering grease and multiple pans of frying eggplant!

The first time I made moussaka I swore I'd never do it again. Then I did the ovenfried thing and ta-da, easy peasy.
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 05:14 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Thank you both!! Any idea if I can use muffin top pans for the pavlovas, or if they need to go all the way up the sides of a dish... the original recipe is 404'd now (googled for it).