Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2014, 08:58 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: theBeave
Dairy-free Ice Cream, high-fiber, low-calorie too

This recipe comes out great, although I am constantly attempting to make it better. See notes starred notes for each ingredient after the recipe.

This makes a fine vanilla base, upon which to build other flavors. I have used LorAnn Flavor Fountain syrups successfully with this base.

Time 15m prep + 25m churning (chilling time not included)
Yield: Base - 6cups; Ice Cream - 7+cups (approx)
Servings: Depends...This is a single serving for me

< Wet Ingredients >
4 cups Almond Milk - unsweetened (Almond Breeze - Vanilla Coconut/Almond blend used, but plain acceptable)
1 tsp White Vinegar (*a)
2 Tbs Vanilla Extract (*b)
1/4 tsp Sea Salt
< Sweeteners > (*c)
20 drops Stevia Glyceride (*d)
10 drops EZ-Sweet liquid sucralose
1-2 Tbs Torani sugar-free flavoring syrups
< Dry Ingredients - combine in separate cup >
2 Tbs Protein Powder (Now Egg White - unflavored)
1 Tbs Acacia Fiber
1 tsp Guar Gum
1 Tbs Psyllium Husk (whole)
1 Tbs Psyllium Husk (powder)
1/4 tsp Baking Soda

Directions
1. In Blender: Combine almond milk, vinegar, salt and sweeteners - also add any liquid flavor components.
2. You should be able to modify the mix to your liking, both flavor and sweetness - Remember, cold slightly changes/mutes taste sensation.
3. In separate container: combine < Dry Ingredients >
4. Slowly add dry container into running blender with wet ingredients
5. Blend on medium to medium-high speed until thickeners take effect, approx 1-2 minutes - mix should aerate and increase in volume to about 6 1/2 cups. Viscosity should be along the lines of proper custard base - chilling a couple hours before use is recommended to allow flavors to mellow and gums to stabilize.
6. Follow directions for ice cream production per your equipment, ie chill ice cream base and churn in machine. **I am obliged to say 'follow manufacturer directions' I personally run the stand mixer at medium-high (6) speed for the first 10 minutes, then kick down to stir speed once base thickens. I am ready to eat in 20-25 minutes.

Notes:
• a) Dairy products are slightly acidic vs conventional almond milk. A bit of vinegar helps replicate the tanginess of real dairy.
• b) Vanilla Extract - Goal to add approximately 3/4 Tbs of alcohol. Could be made of of any alcohol bearing ingredient or something like vodka directly. (McCormick is noted as 41% alcohol x 2 TBS = 80% of TBS)
• c) Sweeten and flavor to taste, amounts are only suggestions
• d) The Glyceride adds a bit of texture modification, this is the one sweetener that should be added, the others are optional and/or replaceable
• Most of the ingredients are to add particular textures and characteristics to the end product. Substitutions should be made carefully
• Sweeteners may be modified and substituted as desired. I have found the above combination tasty, as one would expect for an ice cream
• Flavor the base to your liking. Consider professional flavoring syrups (sugar-free of course). NOTE: This recipe is extremely low-fat, start with 1/4 - 1/2 the recommended flavoriing and increase to taste -- too much will make the base taste terrible.
• Texture from Kitchenaid stand-mixer ice cream attachment is scoopable soft-serve right from the bowl. Freezing is not recommended, though the texture holds together moderately well. Warm frozen mix on counter for 30-40 minutes or in the fridge for 1-2 hours before consumption -- check routinely for thawing consistency and determine your own preference.
• All-in-all, ideally the batch is made and consumed immediately. For me, the ice bowl has enough thermal capacity to both convert the mix and hold the ice cream to act as a serving bowl at leeast 30 more minutes (plastic tools of course).

The key ingredients are the alcohol and dry-ingredients. The stevia glyceride adds a mild amount of texturizing. Pretty much any of the other ingredients could be substituted, but that is not something I have really tried once settling on this recipe.

It loses some of its appeal after hard freezing overnight, but survives relatively intact. It loses some of its creaminess, but retains the ability to curl and accept a spoon right into it once warmed enough -- does not immediately become a block of ice. Though, for best results, churn and consume immediately.

Nutritional Data (estimated):
FOR ENTIRE YIELD OF 1.5 QUARTS
300 calories (no fiber calories included)
10g protein
18g fat
≈25g fiber in various forms
0g net-carbs
1/2oz alcohol

Enjoy!
theBeave is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2014, 01:28 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Sounds wonderful!!! I make dairy free ice cream using coconut milk. I will try yours thanks.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 11:17 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JHoberer
Stats: 283/177.0/170, 5'10.5", 38
WOE: 1/08: Atkins, 8/11: HCG, 7/12: JUDDD, 10/12: HCG
I just posted on the ice cream thread about the dairy free lemon gelato I made tonight. It was very good. I used 1 1/2 cups full fat coconut milk and 1 cup almond milk plus 4 egg yolks. The cup of almond milk really slimmed down the calories and it made exactly 5 cups of ice cream.
JHoberer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 04:09 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: theBeave
I am constantly trying to improve the recipe. The original one posted is fine enough, but better is...well..better.

A strong suggestion for those using almond milk in ice creams:
Consider using milk/dairy flavorings to skew the taste towards proper dairy. For instance, the Flavor Fountain preparations from LorAnn oils work best when the base tastes like real cream; there is a marked decline in flavor accuracy when base is not real dairy. A way to skew the ice cream base, I have found, is to use strong flavorings from Flavor Apprentice (aka Perfumers Apprentice). Adding 20-30 drops of Butter flavor and 10-15 of Sweet Cream greatly impact the base flavor. Note: some of these flavors break the true 'dairy-free' nature. Should be fine for all but the most severe circumstances or kosher concerns.

The output is creamy and delicious. It curls nicely when spooned or scooped and holds together. Now that the mix is stable and edible right out of the machine, I will experiment further see if any of the ingredients are still superfluous and if/how the mix fares after various lengths of hard freezing. To any that hard-freeze, provide feedback.

Here is v3:

<improvements>
Dropped some of the pysllium. Some is needed, as this appears to be the 'magic' fiber, along with acacia to do the most in preventing ice crystallization. This nearly eliminated the grassy flavor contribution of the pysllium. Upped the guar gum - base is pretty thick but what you would call liquid.

ingredients
< Wet Ingredients >
4 cups Almond Milk - unsweetened (Vanilla preferred, but plain is acceptable)
1 tsp White Vinegar (*a)
1 Tbs Vanilla Extract (*b)
1/2 Tbs Walnut Oil (*e)
1/4 tsp Sea Salt
< Sweeteners > (*c)
1/4 tsp Stevia Glyceride (*d)
10 drops EZ-Sweet liquid sucralose
1-2 Tbs Torani sugar-free falvoring syrups - to taste
< Dry Ingredients - combine in separate cup >
1 Tbs Protein Powder (Egg White - unflavored) (*f)
1 Tbs Acacia Fiber
2 tsp Guar Gum
1 Tbs Psyllium Husk (powder)
1/4 tsp Baking Soda

1. In Blender: Combine almond milk, vinegar, and sweeteners - also add any liquid flavor components.
2. You should be able to modify the mix to your liking, both flavor and sweetness
3. In seperate container: combine < Dry Ingredients >
4. Slowly add dry container into running blender with wet ingredients
5. Blend on medium to medium-high speeed until thickeners take effect, approw 1-2 minutes - mix will aerate and increase in volume to about 6 1/2 cups. Mix will noticeably change consistency while blending - will result in a blend that still pours, but is thick
6. Follow directions for ice cream production per your equipment, ie chill ice cream base and churn in machine

notes: • a) Dairy products are slightly acidic vs conventional almond milk. A bit of vinegar helps replicate the tanginess of real dairy.
• b) Vanilla Extract - This is to reenforce the vanilla base flavor. You may use real or imitation, water- or alcohol-based, though alcohol may make the resulting mix slightly softer due to the lower freezing point.
• c) Sweeten and flavor to taste
• d) The Glyceride adds a bit of texture modification, see note (e)
• e) Use of an oil with a low freezing point is recommended to add some lubrication. My experience has been that refined walnut oil takes an extremely long time to freeze. You may alternatively increase the glyceride amount as a substitute to adding oil while upping the sweetness some.
• f) Choice of protein powder is up to you. I choose unflavored egg white to keep non-dairy for the recipe. You may also decide to use flavored protein poweder for a more complex taste.
• Most of the ingredients are to add particular textures and characteristics to the end product. Substitutions should be made carefully
• Sweeteners may be modified and substituted as desired. I have found the above combination tasty, as one would expect for an ice cream
• Flavor the base to your liking. Consider professional flavoring syrups (sugar-free of course). NOTE: This recipe is extremely low-fat, start with 1/4 - 1/2 the recommended flavoriing and increase to taste -- too much will make the base taste terrible.
• Texture from Kitchenaid stand-mixer ice cream attachment is scoop-able soft-serve right from the bowl. Hard-freezing is not guaranteed, though the texture holds together moderately well. Warm frozen mix on counter for 30-40 minutes or in the fridge for 1-2 hours before consumption -- check routinely for thawing consistency and determine your own preference of course
• The mix is great soft-serve -- I am constantly adjusting to see if it can be made to handle hard-freeze with acceptable results while still meeting the following guidelines (in order of precedence) in for the base recipe [low-net-carb, lactose-free, low-calorie]

Nutritional Data (estimated):
FOR ENTIRE YIELD OF 1.5 QUARTS
300 calories (no fiber calories included)
10g protein
27g fat
≈20g fiber in various forms
0g net-carbs
(could contain trace amounts of alcohol, depending on the vanilla extract used)
theBeave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 02:44 PM   #5
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I find it easier to just go buy myself a pint of Arctic Zero when I crave ice cream.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 04:35 PM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: pocahontas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
I find it easier to just go buy myself a pint of Arctic Zero when I crave ice cream.
They dont make a sugar free though do they? I couldnt find one at my store. I love the So Delicious coconut milk ice cream but my stores only stock the vanilla and mint chocolate in sugar free. They get old fast. Im going to try my hand at making a coconut milk ice cream in our machine.
pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 05:00 AM   #7
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/138.6/?
WOE: lc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Leo
What flavor(s) do you like? I mistakenly bought several when I finally was able to find them locally only to find out I don't really like them. I wonder if there is a way to doctor them up that is more palatable. I read somewhere that some folks use them to thicken protein shakes.
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote