Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2014, 01:38 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: muncheechee
Stats: 261/235/145 (5'6")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 8/14/14
bakery worthy treats

Have you made any low carb treats you think are good enough to sell at a bakery? Would you be interested in buying a lc treat at a bakery? My friend is working on opening up a bakery sometime in the next year and I'd love to convince her to have a couple low carb options for purchase.
muncheechee is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2014, 01:47 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DeanieS
Stats: 275/245/size12 (44 yrs/5'8"/size20)
WOE: LC 4/4-5/27/14 lost 17, JUDDD 5/28/14 258/245
Start Date: 4/4/2014
Hi Muncheechee, I personally would love to have a bakery that offers real low carb options but I think we're about 8 years too late for the "popular trend". It can't hurt for her to try a few items and see how they do. If she gets it out there that she has some items that cater to low carbers, really caters and not just oh this tiny little treat is 15 net carbs instead of 50, she might get a following.
DeanieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 02:09 PM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
The key word would be "gluten free" and "sugar free" together. She can kill two birds with one stone by doing that, say in muffins/cakes/brownies, etc..

What she needs to do (or you need to do) is to look on our recipe boards, go on LC blogs, and practice..Take something to her and let her be the judge.
CarolynF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 02:15 PM   #4
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
The key word would be "gluten free" and "sugar free" together. She can kill two birds with one stone by doing that, say in muffins/cakes/brownies, etc..

What she needs to do (or you need to do) is to look on our recipe boards, go on LC blogs, and practice..Take something to her and let her be the judge.
Fully agree with this. If she could combine gluten free, sugar free, and low carb in the description - she's golden, as it appeals to several facets of the population that would purchase it based on one or more of those.

THEN if she could somehow get some good publicity, like a feature on a news channel for the new bakery in town that also has that type item - she'd better be prepared!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:37 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: muncheechee
Stats: 261/235/145 (5'6")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 8/14/14
Yeah, she wants to offer gluten free desserts BUT to her that means using gluten free flour. She knows I regularly make lc desserts using almond and/or coconut flour but come to think of it I don't think she's ever tried anything I've made. I'd love to try out some new recipes on her if any of you have suggestions.
muncheechee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:44 PM   #6
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/211/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
I have started noticing more sugar free things at Whole Foods with stevia, erythrinol and xylitol (you don't see Splenda or aspartame or anything like that). I bought some boxed gelatin there today (like Jello). There is also a brand of chocolate with stevia and one of the "natural" sf sweeteners. If she uses those sweeteners I think she stands a better chance.
GME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:57 PM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
I think she'd do great. People who are gluten intolerant eventually figure out any grain is not good. I would suggest she check out the vanilla cupcakes on Elana's pantry. I've made them a couple of times and they always turn out great. Or you make them and have her try them. Bet she won't know the difference.

They're just coconut flour and eggs basically, but it works. And it could be made into a cake also. A really great blog for desserts is All Day I Dream About Food. She's genius!
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 02:10 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: grneyedldy
While I would love to see a quality low carb bakery product, I think your friend would have to market more to the latest trends (which is not intended to imply that's a negative) including the following buzz words......gluten free, keto, paleo, omega 3, coconut oil, GMO free and I'm sure more. Those of us looking for quality lc food would check it out and see if it works with our woe.

Maybe as a community, we need to start making requests at food establishments we frequent and see if we can be part of a movement. Like a bunch of lc Norma Raes We can bring the signs later....Low Carb Treats Now
grneyedldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 03:30 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Sunny7
Blueberry muffins can be made low carb to....and is a good bakery item.....also pumpkin and zucchini would be good too...lots of ideas on muffins.....
Sunny7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 04:04 PM   #10
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 1400 cals/70g carbs/85% Primal
Coconut macaroons? I would LOVE a really good, low-carb, sugar free one that wasn't dry or crumbly.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 04:28 PM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
Coconut macaroons? I would LOVE a really good, low-carb, sugar free one that wasn't dry or crumbly.
Huh. You stop that! You just gave me another idea. A local breakfast place has awesome macaroons. They market them as gluten free. Duh. But, I know the pastry chef, I'll see if I can get her recipe. They are crusty golden brown and soft and moist inside. Mmmm... If I see her tomorrow I'm gonna ask.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:12 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JHoberer
Stats: 283/177.0/170, 5'10.5", 38
WOE: 1/08: Atkins, 8/11: HCG, 7/12: JUDDD, 10/12: HCG
For me, it'd have to be sugar alcohol free, with the exception of maltitol, and no saccharin or aspartame either.

That + truly low carb and I'm in!

I'd start with a good bread, a brownie, a cookie, a breakfast muffin or pastry and a cake appropriate for birthdays.

Last edited by JHoberer; 06-12-2014 at 11:15 PM..
JHoberer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 02:35 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DeanieS
Stats: 275/245/size12 (44 yrs/5'8"/size20)
WOE: LC 4/4-5/27/14 lost 17, JUDDD 5/28/14 258/245
Start Date: 4/4/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post
I have started noticing more sugar free things at Whole Foods with stevia, erythrinol and xylitol (you don't see Splenda or aspartame or anything like that). I bought some boxed gelatin there today (like Jello). There is also a brand of chocolate with stevia and one of the "natural" sf sweeteners. If she uses those sweeteners I think she stands a better chance.
I'm jealous! I went into my local Whole Foods a few weeks ago and asked what sugar free items they had and especially was looking for syrups. The guy looked at me like I was nuts. Sugar free, why would we have sugar free items? Nope not us! Like sugar is now known to be so healthy or something! It was a weird interaction and he kept telling me how they don't even carry most of the sugar subs because they're not considered natural. Like sugar is natural? LOL
DeanieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 03:36 PM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

DeanieS, I think your Whole Foods guy must have been smoking something funny. They have a bunch of different 'sugars' in the baking aisle at my Whole Foods. And they carry stevia sweet leaf sf sweeteners. Most of the people that I've talked too at mine get it. Weird.
Old 06-14-2014, 04:34 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
Start Date: September 2000
I agree with Snowangel9. They have Lily's chocolate bars with the other chocolate bars and Lily's chocolate baking chips with the baking items-both sugar free.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 10:48 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JHoberer
Stats: 283/177.0/170, 5'10.5", 38
WOE: 1/08: Atkins, 8/11: HCG, 7/12: JUDDD, 10/12: HCG
I said with the exception of maltitol... I meant erythritol!
JHoberer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:12 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHoberer View Post
I said with the exception of maltitol... I meant erythritol!
I was wondering about that, LOL. I was thinking you must have an iron gut.

I would love to have bakery that would sell gluten-free, sugar-free, low-carb goods. I love a good zucchini muffin or blueberry muffin with my morning coffee and don't always have the time to make them myself.

What I've ran into is that most bakery's that sell gluten-free goods still load them up with regular sugar. I suspect that the macaroons that Snowangel9 mentioned are not sugar-free which is why they have the texture that they do.
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:42 AM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

Your right Pam. They aren't sugar free. But they were a better option than flour and sugar filled stuff. I am thinking xylitol might recreate that same texture. I didn't get a chance to talk to the pastry chef, but I m trying to get her educated about gluten free/sugar free. It's definitely a process.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:04 PM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
It sounds like baking can sure get complicated.

I admit, I'm not much of one so Kudos to those of you who can bake successfully.

I got a s/f pie from whole foods....the problem with the sugar free pie is that there were still plenty (as in too many) carbs in one serving. The pie tasted terrible too. I had some s/f lemon pie from walmart-- same deal, tasted awful.

My sister got my Mom some GF cake/brownie thing from a bakery. Nevermind that she paid an exorbitant price, but it tasted like crap too...very bitter.

So a bakery that could cater to some or most needs would be great...too bad there isn't a sweetner that doesn't affect our guts yet.

Good luck to your friend. I applaud her.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 05:04 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cheeky1178
Stats: 324.8/288/180-ish?
WOE: 50gms or less
Start Date: 1/17/14
I will second the recommendation to check out all day I dream about food...I've made a few of her recipes already and they were awesome. I made the Almond Crusted Butter cake, her Cinnamon Cereal was great as both cereal as well as a "graham cracker" crust for a pudding pie, and I used her "sugar" cookie cut outs for the base of a "sugar" cookie fruit pizza.

I would love love love a bakery that offered LC items. I frequently buy these mini-cheesecakes at Whole foods that are sugar free. Mmmmm! If she just wants to test the waters to see how many people are interested in Sugar Free items she could start with a simple cake/cupcake, a simple cookie and a plain cheesecake. If there is demand she can branch off into more exciting items.

"I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; I will not refuse to do something I can do. -Helen Keller"

cheeky1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 05:17 PM   #21
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Cacountrymom
Stats: 275.0/197.8/140.0
WOE: Low Carb, JUDDD
Start Date: 06/18/2014 (AGAIN!!!)
I'm a little late in chiming in, but I would definitely love to have a bakery that had a selection or two in low carb. Sometimes you want a little treat and not have 5 more in the house - even if you do put them in the freezer!
Cacountrymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 07:49 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: maximumdensity
Stats: 183/150/130ish
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Feb/2014
I am happy and sad about this post. On one hand having a choice I could actually have at a baery would be wonderful. On the other hane for me if I have something somewhat sweet and carby it is like you woke the dragan and it must be fed. Maybe someday that won't be the case. For instance if I have a couple strawberries, YUMMY, but then I find I have to quell that desire for food with lots of on plan foods that I would not necessarily "needed" if I hadn't started with the strawberries.

I really miss fruit
maximumdensity is offline   Reply With Quote