Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2014, 06:27 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: theBeave
90 second microwave 'wheat' bread using almond bran

Synopsis: Basically a wheat bread-style bun that can serve as anything from a dinner roll; hamburger bun, sandwich bread, etc...

Flavor is neutral and texture is very bread-like.

Recipe:
3 Tbs Almond Bran
1 Tbs Whole Psyllium husk
1 tsp chia seeds (optional)
pinch of salt
strong pinch of baking soda, about 1/8 tsp
Any spices you want, ie cardamon, garlic, etc...(optional)
1 egg
1 Tbs liquid fat, your choice
1/2 Tbs water
1/2 Tbs vinegar

Quick Directions:
Combine drys into a small cup.
Mix wets (less viengar) in microwave safe bowl
Combine dry into wet, mix
Wait 1 minute
Add vinegar and mix
Microwave on high for 80-100 seconds
Depan immediately, and enjoy

Long Directions:
Combine the dry ingredients in a small cup.

I use a round 1-1/2 cup pyrex bowl. Into which I add one egg, about a Tbs of liquid fat (your choice of butter, coconut oil, MCT oil, mayo, etc) and about 1/2 Tbs water. The actual liquids may vary on your conditions, as I now measure the liquids by eye when making this recipe. DON't add the vinegar yet.

Mix the liquids, then dump the dry ingredients into the wet - combine and set for 1-2 minutes. The batter should have the consistency of stiff mayo - not crumbly nor so wet that the mix slumps flat. The batter will stiffen slightly. You will quickly get a feel for the right amounts of liquids and batter consistency.

After waiting, add the vinegar to the mixed dough to activate the baking soda. Remix thoroughly, but gently. The mix will thin and froth. Make sure to completely incorporate the vinegar. Spread the batter evenly in the dish, with a smooth top and nothing plastered up the sides.

Microwave in this dish for anywhere from 80-100 seconds, depending on your microwave. I know the time based on the consistency of the batter. If I made it a bit too wet, then it takes closer to 100 seconds. The bun should be evenly cooked and resilient. A wet spot in the center indicates that more cook time is needed.

Immediately evacuate bun onto a folded towel by inverting the dish and gently dropping on the towel to knock loose. The bun has always released without issue for me, so I have never oiled a pan for this recipe. The bottom will initially be hot and moist, but will cool and dry with time.

Results:
The is hot and steamy out of the microwave. It toughens slightly as it cools. However, it retains its moisture and I have not ever had it go stale, even after two days out on the counter. I have not noticed any degradation in structure/texture/taste after many hours (besides the temperature).

I have stored the bread loosely wrapped in wax paper on the counter as well as in a ziploc bag with similar positive results.

Variations:
The egg adds the structure. Varying the proportion of water to oil alters how moist vs. how tender the resultant bun becomes - more water I have found results in a more tender/crumbly feel (more cake-like). More oil tends to result in a tougher bread that can handle manipulation as a hamburger bun or in a sandwich.

Using mayo for the oil component seems to make for a more forgiving dough mix, though the final outcome is the same either way.

Mine come out about 3in in diameter by 1.1/2-2in tall. It can also be made in a cup for a taller muffin form. Or, in a larger diameter dish for broader uses.

I have added up to 2 Tbs of seeds/nuts to the mix and the bread stayed together after cooking. This adds a bit of extra texture to the final product.

Uses:
I cook one up with every meal, and tend to have the dry ingredients premixed on the counter. I use the wait time before adding the vinegar to refill the bread mix cup for the next batch.

The directions take longer than the actual preparation
theBeave is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2014, 04:30 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
First, This is a very interesting recipe. I have not baked with almond bran. Is it available in stores or did you find it online?
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 05:27 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
I actually have some almond bran in my freezer. There was a muffin recipe that I got it for. Thanks. Will play around with this. So you would slice this in half for a hamburger bun/ sandwich.

I wonder if it can be toasted.
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 05:40 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shunsweets
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: May 2003
I googled almond bran and see it is available on line. I may order some but meanwhile I think I will try this with oat bran and see how it comes out or maybe oat bran with a pinch of glucomann. Never thought of using baking soda and adding vinegar. Makes me think of those fake volcanoes we made as kids - guess it should make the bread rise!
shunsweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 09:27 AM   #5

Okay, supplies are ready. I only had the psyllium husk powder instead of the whole ones, so will see what happens.
Old 05-24-2014, 09:47 AM   #6

Made it in my grab-it and topped it with 7-seed crust topping. I took a picture and will post it. . I am anxious to hear how the oat bran version turns out.

It does look marvelous!!! Anxious for it to cool!
Old 05-24-2014, 10:38 AM   #7

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-24-2014, 12:57 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: makrida
Stats: 142/132/125
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 4th Jan 2011
that looks great !
makrida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 02:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by makrida View Post
that looks great !
It tasted great and made a nice egg salad sandwich. I am sure this bread has less than 5 net carbs and probably around 200 calories.

I made up 3 baggies worth of dry ingredients so all I have to add is the wet ingredients. Mine was perfect at 80 seconds.
Old 05-25-2014, 02:46 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shunsweets
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: May 2003
I made this today with 3T oat bran and 1/4 t of glucomann in place of the almond bran. I added a dash of cinnamon, a bit of vanilla, and 1 drop of sweetfreez as the oatbran needs something with flavor added I find.
It rose nicely, easily high enough to slice in half for a sandwich, and had a nice bready texture. Will definitely make again and may order the almond bran to try.
Thanks for a great recipe theBeave!
shunsweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 05:21 AM   #11

I might have to get some oat bran for a lighter bread. Thanks for experimenting.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:22 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lazy girl
Are you cooking this in the Pyrex bowl or do you transfer it to another dish for cooking?
lazy girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 08:33 AM   #13

What I did was to mix it in a 2 cup Pyrex measuring cup and then poured the batter into the Grab-it bowl and microwaved it in that.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:14 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LESESKI
Can't wait to try this.
LESESKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 12:02 PM   #15

I am going to see my LC doctor tomorrow. I will make her one and take the recipe with me.
Old 05-26-2014, 03:18 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lazy girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
What I did was to mix it in a 2 cup Pyrex measuring cup and then poured the batter into the Grab-it bowl and microwaved it in that.
Thank you, Carolyn.

A few days ago, I saved a recipe from Peggy's site that was quite similar to this one. I think she called it white bread. She said any bread slice sized microwave dish would do. All I had (Corning ware broke years ago) left that size was a plastic sandwich keeper put out by a commercial bakery. So I went to BB&B on a hunt and came home with a small cream brulee dish about the size of a hamburger bun. It was sprayed with a quick release spray before being used and worked perfectly. Great for sandwiches and burgers.

I'm going to copy you and put several days' worth of the dry mix in small bags.

Jane
lazy girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 05:05 AM   #17

I gave the recipe and a bun to my LC doctor. I think she will like it. We decided not to microwave anything in plastic. Finding the right sized bowl is the key, I think
Old 05-28-2014, 06:02 PM   #18
Junior LCF Member

A couple of things I have noticed over the months consuming this 'bread':

Unfortunately it does not toast well. This may very well be a function of the almond bran. Your mileage with alternative 'flours' may vary.

Adding a dash of nutritional yeast adds just a bit of yeasty flavor goodness.

The recipe adapts well to incorporation of sweet flavors, ie vanilla, gingerbread, etc.

The almond bran I use is available online. It takes a bit to dig into the Hughson Nut website I actually find the option of purchasing the goods. I end up paying by check - it's a bit slow but that is how I can order the material. They are very responsive and friendly to direct consumer inquiries.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:49 PM   #19

Hmm. I haven't had a chance to toast it, but how about buttered in a pan and fried a bit??

I looked at oat bran and it was kinda carby, so I got some wheat bran to try, too.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:06 AM   #20
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
Hmm. I haven't had a chance to toast it, but how about buttered in a pan and fried a bit??
When has frying in butter ever failed to end in good things?

I have not tried pan frying, but would like to hear the results if you give it a try.

My experience with toasting basically showed the almond bran does not seem to have a nice 'golden brown' phase that typical wheat had. But rather jumps from 'raw' to 'charred' (think overcooked popcorn). That golden brown phase could be there, perhaps a very narrow time frame. The very color of the bran, deep brown by its nature, makes it difficult to judge toastiness.
Old 05-30-2014, 02:23 PM   #21

Right.. I think there is more control when buttered and fried slightly. I made the wheat bran version and it was very nice.