Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2014, 08:42 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Heinz Reduced Sugar Ketchup--

I found Heinz ketchup at Dollar Tree, bought 6 bottles. I may get some more, the date stamped on the bottles is January 2015, don't remember the day, 15th or 28th maybe.

I do make my own ketchup too, but Heinz was always my favorite. The bottles are only 13 oz. so a good size to grab when going to a B-Q. Summer is coming!
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2014, 08:51 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jbatchelor
Stats: 248/172 /148
WOE: Atkins/Low carb
That was a great buy-I can't find it at my Walmart anymore--I would love to find it at Dollar Tree--thanks for the heads-up!
jbatchelor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:22 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Man I want some . Thanks
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 05:25 PM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
I just got 4 bottles myself. I would have gotten more, but my DH was with me and thought I was crazy for buying the 4 I need to go back
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 01:36 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ljguitar
Stats: 350++/under 240/wherever 30 net carbs a day leads
WOE: 30 net carbs a day or less...unclean eating
Start Date: August 2008
Hi folks...

We were next door to Dollar Tree this morning, so I slipped over and sure enough they had it at our store as well. So I grabbed one for my wife.

I'm not a catsup guy (except when building BBQ sauces) so if this is good, I may have to try building a bit-o-sauce with it.

ljguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 04:17 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
while I love Heinz sugar free catsup, this recipe from Linda Sue is even better: EVEN BETTER "HEINZ" KETCHUP - Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes

I buy the 12 oz can of tomato paste and double the recipe and store the ketchup in a couple of Heinz bottles, LOL.

I do two thing differently from Linda Sue, though--I don't cook it as long (I cook it about 10 minutes in the microwave in the big glass quart measuring cup I make it in). the other thing is that I use an extra six oz can of tomato paste mixed with enough water to thin it to the right amount of tomato sauce, since tomato sauce is just tomato paste and water with a little garlic & onion powders and salt mixed in. No need to buy the sauce.

It is way easy to make and costs much, much less than the Heinz--just be sure to follow her amounts exactly.

Last edited by dianafoot; 05-03-2014 at 04:21 PM..
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 05:36 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

I made it to Dollar Tree today for my 6 bottles-I always try to not use it too excessively since it cost so much and now is not available in my Walmart-if Dollar Tree will keep it-I will use it freely!! Thanks to the OP for sharing!
Old 05-03-2014, 07:51 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2010
Thanks for posting this. I will be on the look out. Hopefully my local Dollar Tree has it in stock. I wonder if this means that it is going to be discontinued?
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 06:05 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

I hope they don't quit making it-Dollar Tree also had the low sodium one and maybe another variety? I didn't pay much attention-I was just determined in getting my six-lol!

I also picked up some marinara sauce and pizza sauce there-I don't remember the brand right now but the carb count was really good for 1/2 cup and 1/4 cup on each-I usually get my pizza sauce from Walmart with their brand so I am anxious to see how this does--has anybody tried the stuff from Dollar Tree?
Old 05-04-2014, 08:06 AM   #10

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
Depending on where you shop, my recipe still comes out cheaper than Dollar Tree and you get about 16 ounces. I pay 44-cents for a can of tomato paste at Walmart and I never pay more than 25-cents for a can of tomato sauce. I often get them 5 or 6 for a buck on sale.

By the way, the main reason why I cook mine on the stove for an hour is because it's much quicker to enter "1" for the hour on my timer than to punch in 20 or 30 minutes, or whatever. With my timer I have to keep pressing the minute button that many times. For an hour, it's only one press, LOL.
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 09:15 AM   #11

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
I found it and bought 6 bottles. I think the store bought bottles will be useful to keep at my BF's place for when we have BBQ's and Burgers and I can have my own ketchup available since no one remembers when I ask them to buy it and the cost for regular store price is prohibitive.

Linda, I haven't tried your recipe yet but I might make it to use at home. I could even save the ketchup bottles to reuse! LOL.

I know my Mom won't be bothered with "making" ketchup as she's satisfied with regular, but I showed here the reduced sugar and that's easy enough for her to try it for a dollar.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 02:27 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: penguinpower
WOE: Going back to JUDDD
My Dollar Tree didn't have it

jbatchelor - I've tried the pizza sauce from DT and liked it! I think the brand I had was Rinaldi or something like that.

I also really like Brimm's Fried Pork Rinds at our DT - they are a small pack for a dollar, but they are very very VERY crunchy, a little spicy, and quite different from the puffy kind. And the other day when I was there looking for the Heinz I found small packets of salted roasted PECANS for $1 - I was hungry and they made a really good snack.
penguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 05:40 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Larry - 1 bottle!? You need to go buy more for your wife, I'm sure she would love it, Mother's Day is coming and it makes a great gift!

Diana - I make Linda Sue' s recipe also, but sometimes I'm out and don't have time to make it.

Tulip - I fear that it probably is being discontinued, I've found that the case with many products, food products mostly. It's just typical you know, they come up with decent sugar-free products and none of the bigger stores want to stock them. It aggravates me so much that everyone talks the talk about obesity but heaven forbid that they sell things that are better for you -- just fill the shelves with sugar laden items, LOL, we don't stand a chance!!

I'm glad so many of you found them at stores near you.

I keep telling myself that nothing tastes as good as getting to my goal will feel! -- Unfortunately, I don't always listen to myself!!

Last edited by Tweaker Geek; 05-04-2014 at 05:43 PM..
Old 05-04-2014, 09:32 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: That Girl
I picked up some, thanks for the heads up. The bottles are somewhat smaller than the other bottles I bought last year. I have so many lc products up on my pantry shelf that were purchased a couple of years ago....I periodically go thru them and pitch the really out of date ones......see that is the problem with stocking up for me anyway...once they pass the expiration date, I'm too chicken to use them.... What's the longest, out of date you guys will go before you pitch stuff?
That Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 09:34 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: That Girl
I think once they hit the dollar tree stores, they are about to be discontinued....hope not!
That Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:49 AM   #16

There are products in the Dollar Trees that are not discontinued, but maybe repackaged for dollar sales. for Example, I find Artisan Rolled Cookies at the Dollar Tree Regularly, but also see them in the Big Box stores for twice the price. Things I see in regular store, I just buy at the Dollar Tree. I buy my Broth there because I get 4 cup tetrapack for a dollar instead of a 14 oz can for a 67 cents.

I've used things 5 years past expiration before, but they were sealed never opened and had some type of strong preservation either being vacuum sealed dry in a foil pack or sealed in glass like bbq sauce. I almost bought a jar of "fresh" salad dressing but it was very separated and still on the store shelf. It looked scary so I didn't buy it. But my last bottle of Carb Smart BBQ sauce from 200? is waiting to be used this summer for a cook out.

Ketchup though, turns dark and gets really strong and smelly. I can't keep it more than a year before I refuse to eat it and chuck it. All my ketchups though are in plastic. I wonder if glass would preserve it better like with the BBQ sauce.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:30 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: penguinpower
WOE: Going back to JUDDD
I use many, many things waaaaaay past the "expiration" date. I think that little trick was one of the sneakiest cons ever pulled on the consumer. Some products, like Metqa mentioned, don't keep well - products with dairy as a main ingredient, salad dressings since fats do go rancid, a few other things. But canned foods and dried foods - meh. Manufacturers will tell you that these dates are actually "best by" dates, meaning that the fullest flavor and nutrition are guaranteed to be present by that date, but the foods remain safe but MAY lose some flavor or nutritional value as they age. I don't deliberately keep things beyond the expiration date, it's just not something I worry about at all.

Actually, now that I think about it, I do have an "expired" Dollar Tree item in the freezer - when they had the Atkins meals for $1 I stocked up and still have one left. The date on those is March 23. I had one the other day, it tasted just the same as when I made one the first day I bought them. Kinda blah. The date had nothing to do with the blah-ness, it's just not a very tasty product lol.
penguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 10:31 AM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ljguitar
Stats: 350++/under 240/wherever 30 net carbs a day leads
WOE: 30 net carbs a day or less...unclean eating
Start Date: August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker Geek View Post
Larry - 1 bottle!? You need to go buy more for your wife, I'm sure she would love it, Mother's Day is coming and it makes a great gift!
Hi TG...

Maybe. She's low-carbing with me for right now for a few months, and I don't eat catsup, so when she decides to switch her eating plan, we'd just have to toss it.

If we get low, we know where there's more.

ljguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 11:14 AM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
America's Test Kitchen tested canned goods that were 75 years old, I believe. Not as tasty as freshly canned, but perfectly safe.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 05:55 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi TG...

Maybe. She's low-carbing with me for right now for a few months, and I don't eat catsup, so when she decides to switch her eating plan, we'd just have to toss it.

If we get low, we know where there's more.

I wish you both much success, Larry, but don't toss the ketchup, it will keep for a couple years stored in a cool, dry place. I only toss tomato products when they turn a brownish color , but that's just me!
Old 05-06-2014, 11:55 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguinpower View Post
I use many, many things waaaaaay past the "expiration" date. I think that little trick was one of the sneakiest cons ever pulled on the consumer. Some products, like Metqa mentioned, don't keep well - products with dairy as a main ingredient, salad dressings since fats do go rancid, a few other things. But canned foods and dried foods - meh. Manufacturers will tell you that these dates are actually "best by" dates, meaning that the fullest flavor and nutrition are guaranteed to be present by that date, but the foods remain safe but MAY lose some flavor or nutritional value as they age. I don't deliberately keep things beyond the expiration date, it's just not something I worry about at all.

Actually, now that I think about it, I do have an "expired" Dollar Tree item in the freezer - when they had the Atkins meals for $1 I stocked up and still have one left. The date on those is March 23. I had one the other day, it tasted just the same as when I made one the first day I bought them. Kinda blah. The date had nothing to do with the blah-ness, it's just not a very tasty product lol.

Wow, I missed out on $1 Atkins Meals, I'd have a whole freezer full!
Old 05-07-2014, 07:05 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ann Lytle
My daughter was going to Dollar Tree, asked her to see if they had the Ketchup, of course, they didn't. Dang, but I'll keep checking, .......... Ann
Ann Lytle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:32 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ocean
Stats: 240/144/ Below 145 5'1.5"
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: June 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Girl View Post
I think once they hit the dollar tree stores, they are about to be discontinued....hope not!
I couldn't find these at dollar tree but my walmart was out for a while. They have it back now but it is packaged differently.
Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 01:01 PM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
I scored 8 bottles.
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 12:11 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JHoberer
Stats: 283/177.0/170, 5'10.5", 38
WOE: 1/08: Atkins, 8/11: HCG, 7/12: JUDDD, 10/12: HCG
Mine only had the salt free.
JHoberer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 01:17 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
I'd probably buy it if I found it at Dollar Tree, just to not have to make it, but I haven't seen it there. It's $2.39 right now at WalMart, so it's definitely worth making!

The first few times I made it, I had a bottle of Heinz SF and compared and tweaked until it was just like. Now I use Linda Sue's recipe just and double it. It's also absolutely wonderful to make barbecue sauce with!
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 04:47 AM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjlocarb View Post
I scored 8 bottles.

Me too and they had more which I may go back and get.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 03:54 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rosemary~
Stats: 244/113
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: February 2011
"Even Better Than Heinz" Reduced Sugar Ketchup

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaSue View Post
Depending on where you shop, my recipe still comes out cheaper than Dollar Tree and you get about 16 ounces. I pay 44-cents for a can of tomato paste at Walmart and I never pay more than 25-cents for a can of tomato sauce. I often get them 5 or 6 for a buck on sale.

By the way, the main reason why I cook mine on the stove for an hour is because it's much quicker to enter "1" for the hour on my timer than to punch in 20 or 30 minutes, or whatever. With my timer I have to keep pressing the minute button that many times. For an hour, it's only one press, LOL.
I made your ketchup on Saturday and it tastes great. I'd like to make a larger batch and freeze it. Is that possible?
Rosemary~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 06:57 AM   #29

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosemary~ View Post
I made your ketchup on Saturday and it tastes great. I'd like to make a larger batch and freeze it. Is that possible?
I've never tried that so I don't know. It does keep for a very long time in the fridge though and it's so easy to make anyway.
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 04:11 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jilligan
Stats: Goal = 155 ~ 5'10"
-
Jilligan is offline   Reply With Quote