Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2014, 02:22 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mr_Geiri
Stats: 209/170/170
Start Date: December 2013
Cauliflower great for "couscous"

My first attempt at doing cauliflower rice ended up looking like couscous because I used an electric chopper and it quickly became very small. So yeah I just decided to take it that direction, including heating it for a shorter time so it wouldn't go mushy (couscous tends to not be as soft as rice).

All I can say is I LOVE IT! I only used butter and spices but I'm gonna try making this with herbs and vegetable bits added to it alongside the butter and spices.

I can totally picture eating this as a whole meal when I need something cheap just as long as I put enough fat in it. I chopped a whole large one and stored it in the fridge in sealed bags so I won't have to chop it every time I want some.
Mr_Geiri is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2014, 03:17 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sligh
Stats: 190/118/145
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 31, 2003
It's hard to believe how versatile cauliflower is. Couscous sounds like a great idea. You might like it as risotto too. Here's a great recipe from Dana Carpender which I love.

Mushroom Risotto

½ head cauliflower, riced
3 tablespoons butter
1 cup sliced mushrooms
½ medium onion, diced
1 teaspoon minced garlic
2 tablespoons dry vermouth
1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granules
½ cup grated parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

Cover and microwave cauliflower rice on high for about 6 minutes.

Melt the butter over medium-high heat and add the mushrooms, onion, and garlic, and sauté them all together.

When the cauliflower is done, drain any extra water. When the mushrooms have changed color and are looking done, add the cauliflower and stir everything together. Stir in the vermouth, bouillon, and parmesan and cook for another 2-3 minutes.

Stir in the parsley and serve.

5 servings, 4 carbs, 1 fiber.
sligh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 11:59 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JHoberer
Stats: 283/177.0/170, 5'10.5", 38
WOE: 1/08: Atkins, 8/11: HCG, 7/12: JUDDD, 10/12: HCG
This made me think of buying one of those Far East Couscous mixes and ditching the couscous for cauli-couscous... a good mediterranean one. I wonder what the carb are in just the seasoning packet? Add some nuts, olives, maybe some red bell pepper, feta, tomato...

Mmmm!
JHoberer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 12:00 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
Great idea Geiri! I saw a u-tube video where the 'jar' lady did that in her vitamix. Snap! It was done. She drained it and then stored the rest in the fridge. I thought it was such a great trick I bought a blendtec.

Funny though. I haven't riced a cauliflower yet!
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:11 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jakelilydad
WOE: low carbs
Start Date: Feb 2012
I rice cauliflower in my VitaMix frequently, and have found that unless you really just turn it on (to full speed) for a second, you will end up with couscous. With the couscous, I often add a bit of Worcestershire sauce to add some flavor and color. But yesterday I riced half a head of cauliflower (to rice consistency), then sauteed it with a Tablespoon or so of Tika Masala sauce and maybe a quarter cup of salsa. Tossed in some chopped green onions at the end. YUM!
Jakelilydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 03:26 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: millergirl1976
Stats: 166.6/150.9/135<- 28in waist
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Restart. 3/31/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakelilydad View Post
I rice cauliflower in my VitaMix frequently, and have found that unless you really just turn it on (to full speed) for a second, you will end up with couscous. With the couscous, I often add a bit of Worcestershire sauce to add some flavor and color. But yesterday I riced half a head of cauliflower (to rice consistency), then sauteed it with a Tablespoon or so of Tika Masala sauce and maybe a quarter cup of salsa. Tossed in some chopped green onions at the end. YUM!
Can you say more about this? I have a VM, but have only made cauli rice a handful of times because I dont have a food processor so I have shredded it with a box grater which is a huge mess, and amount of work. How do you do it in your VM?
millergirl1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 04:00 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mr_Geiri
Stats: 209/170/170
Start Date: December 2013
You can also buy small choppers pretty cheap. You can even get ones that are hand powered.

Mr_Geiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 04:25 PM   #8
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by millergirl1976 View Post
Can you say more about this? I have a VM, but have only made cauli rice a handful of times because I dont have a food processor so I have shredded it with a box grater which is a huge mess, and amount of work. How do you do it in your VM?
The way *I* do this is to fill the container up (not stuffed) with cauliflower florets, then fill just to covered with water, then pulse the machine off and on until it's the consistency you want. It takes VERY little to do it so watch it really closely. Then pour the whole works into a sieve or colander (if it's fine) to drain all the water off.

You can make crushed ice the same way, believe it or not!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:54 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

@Millergirl1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
The way *I* do this is to fill the container up (not stuffed) with cauliflower florets, then fill just to covered with water, then pulse the machine off and on until it's the consistency you want. It takes VERY little to do it so watch it really closely. Then pour the whole works into a sieve or colander (if it's fine) to drain all the water off.

You can make crushed ice the same way, believe it or not!
What she said. You can't go wrong following Charski's advice, I've learned... The only thing I do slightly differently is that after loosely filling the container, I add water until the florets start to float. I also cut the larger florets into thirds or quarters, so they take up less space. Then buzz them QUICKLY, drain into a strainer (just add more water to the container to get out the stuff that remains the first time). Let them drain for a minute or two, and then proceed as you want. Much easier than using a food processor or, goodness knows, a grater.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:32 AM   #10
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
It's an amazing machine, isn't it? I had to watch the VM guy at Costco for a few minutes yesterday, even though I've owned VM for many years now - you never know what new tricks they've come up with!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 09:31 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: millergirl1976
Stats: 166.6/150.9/135<- 28in waist
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Restart. 3/31/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
It's an amazing machine, isn't it? I had to watch the VM guy at Costco for a few minutes yesterday, even though I've owned VM for many years now - you never know what new tricks they've come up with!
Thank you both! Char, I had one and sold it a couple years ago, and went with my mom to the state fair over the summer... and bought another one. I haven't been using it enough and I need to get back in the groove.
millergirl1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 07:36 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

For a great video on making cauli-rice in the vitaMix:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TW6UA90bnIo

Hope this gets you using your machine!