Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2014, 07:55 AM   #1
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Did you know? "Raw" cashews!

I'd heard that it wasn't safe to eat raw cashews - I had picked up a bag at Trader Joe's that said "raw cashews" - so looked it up. Who knew? Not poisonous after all!

From WiseGeek:

"Unless you happen to work in a cashew plant or pick cashew apples, it’s unlikely you’ll encounter completely raw cashews. The so-called raw cashews sold in natural food stores are not exactly raw, but instead are steamed. It is the case that the double shell surrounding the raw cashew, which is technically a seed and not a nut, contains urushiol, a resin that can create significant skin rashes, and can be toxic when ingested.

Urushiol is the same chemical found in poison ivy, and it is present on the leaves of the cashew tree as well as in the raw cashew shell. Processing raw cashews can be a laborious and nightmarish ordeal, and people who work in cashew processing plants tend to exhibit greater allergies to cashew shells over time. There is a high incidence of skin rashes among people who either harvest or process raw cashews. Greater sensitivity to urushiol can lead to extreme allergic reaction when raw cashews are ingested, and anyone allergic to poison ivy could potentially have a fatal reaction to eating true raw cashews.

This is why we don’t eat strictly raw cashews. Even the “unroasted’ varieties are steamed to release urushiol from the nut and make it safe to eat. Certainly, those raw cashews sold as raw have been processed to remove urushiol, so there is no danger in consuming them. As nuts and seeds go, safely prepared cashews actually cause very few allergies, especially when compared to nuts like walnuts or legumes like peanuts."

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2014, 08:33 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Thanks so much for posting this, Char. I think I'd heard about the "raw" cashew issues and wondered why all the Paleo folks make so many cheesecake and non-dairy foods with them. I just bought a bag at my Natural Grocers yesterday. Don't use them often, but occasionally a recipe calls for some ground or turned to butter.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 02:01 PM   #3
Gadget Gal

I did the same, Peggy - a friend gave me a vegan recipe for a creamy salad dressing made with the raw cashews. So I bought them. THEN I heard about the "poisonous" thing. Yikes!

Now I know the truth!
Old 04-25-2014, 03:25 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
LOL I use them all the time. But i do alot of research for foods I can eat.I soaked all the nuts I use in recipes because it is better for digestion. Thanks.I use them alot in " cheese sauces"
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 11:28 AM   #5
Yaz
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Yaz
I used soaked raw cashews in a low carb waffle recipe I make. I haven't died yet!
Yaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 04:11 PM   #6
Gadget Gal

That's because they're most likely NOT really raw!