Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2014, 07:42 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MacN. Cheese
Looking for Savory Cheese Flavor Drops

Hello all -

Today I made a Capella flavor request at their website. Meantime, does anyone have a suggestion for something?

I'd like to try for an American/Velveeta processed Almost-cheddar cheese that is successfully used in macaroni and cheese, grilled cheese sandwiches - - even used on steak and cheese, eggs and cheese and melted on corn chip nachos. Family member can no longer eat cheese (only brie according to MD's okay-to-eat list). Plan is to make a sauce that looks like cheese with this flavor. Also will work one one for me as a way to use less cheese in my cheese sauce, volumizing with other ingredients and using this flavor drop to retain a good overall cheesy taste profile.

Your thoughts and suggestions appreciated.
Thank you!
MacN. Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2014, 09:22 AM   #2
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Maybe as a partial fix you could use nutritional yeast (not bread or brewer's yeast). Some are better than others and are used by vegans for a cheesy boost of flavor.

I make a bechamel with coconut flour/oat fiber and butter (or ghee), then add coconut milk.

I usually add real cheese to it. Strange they allow brie which is an aged, "brewed" cheese with bacteria and don't allow any other cheeses. Typically docs don't want people eating aged cheeses if they are eliminating other cheeses from their diets. If it's not a cheese allergy, many will eliminated all aged or processed cheeses but will allow "unaged" cheeses such as fresh mozzarella and cream cheese and soft goat cheese.

To my bechamel I do add goat cheese and a bit of cream cheese. Then I also add some nutritional yeast to it. I'm out of it right now and don't remember the brand. If it needs thickening from there, I add a bit of xanthan or glucomannan.

It's not remotely like Velveeta. But it is so yummy.

Hope that helps!

10/20/07-314; 11/26/07-275 Surgery - Tot.Hyst.; 08/5/10-275.0; 09/1-271.8-(Started JUDDD); 10/2-260.4; 3/1/12-231.0lbs 5/25/12-227.2lbs; 8/19/12-222.8lbs
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. ~ Philippians 4:13
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:37 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Thank you Pooticus! Here is my current recipe, which has cheese and family member does not like nutritional yeast, which I don't get! I think it's great even on popcorn and sprinkled on savory oatmeal. Well, anyways -

MacN. Cheese's CHEESY THICK SAUCE
Makes about 3/4 OF A CUP with approx 100 calories and 4g fat
Ingredients:
3/4 cup boiling chicken broth
1 oz cabot sharp extra light cheddar
1 tsp nutritional yeast
1 TB grated parmesan
1 tsp vermouth
salt, garlic powder, black pepper - all to taste
--> to change things up, I have used fish sauce, mustard powder, onion minced/flakes but prefer above seasoning lately
3/4 tsp glucomannan
Method:
Add to blender everything but chicken broth and glucomannan.
Turn to low and then slowly pour in boiling chicken broth
Sprinkle glucomannon on top, and quickly put back lid and turn to high
Adjust seasoning to taste
Old 04-19-2014, 11:10 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Almost forgot!
VegNews has a signature Macaroni & Cheese, and this is the cheese sauce part of the recipe. It does not have nutritional yeast, which scores points for my family member who doesn't like it; however, MD also told her to limit nuts, and this recipe has cashews. I'll need to see if this is within an acceptable range for her. So finding savory cheese flavor drops or something similar is still needed. I'll hope for more suggestions here. Thank you. Meantime, the recipe:

VEGNEWS CHEESE SAUCE
This sauce is wonderful on veggies or to top a dry-fried mix of shiratake noodles and bean sprouts. Also great when enjoyed as soup by adding in thawed frozen chopped broccoli or spinach and topping with homemade sourdough/rye croutons. Yum!
2 tablespoons shallots, peeled and chopped
1 cup red or yellow potatoes, peeled and chopped
1/4 cup carrots, peeled and chopped
1/3 cup onion, peeled and chopped
1 cup water
1/4 cup raw cashews - for added creaminess, short-soak (1/2 c warm water, sprinkle of salt and lemon juice) for 2-4 hours, no longer
2 teaspoons sea salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic, minced
1/3 cup margarine - I use organic butter
1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon lemon juice, freshly squeezed
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
Method:
(1) In a saucepan, add shallots, potatoes, carrots, onion, and water, and bring to a boil. Cover the pan and simmer for 15 minutes, or until vegetables are very soft.
(2) In a blender, process the cashews, salt, garlic, 1/3 cup margarine, mustard, lemon juice, black pepper, and cayenne. Add softened vegetables and cooking water to the blender and process until perfectly smooth.
(3) In a blender, process the cashews, salt, garlic, 1/3 cup margarine, mustard, lemon juice, black pepper, and cayenne. Add softened vegetables and cooking water to the blender and process until perfectly smooth.

Last edited by MacN. Cheese; 04-19-2014 at 11:18 AM..
Old 04-19-2014, 12:22 PM   #5
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 1400 cals/70g carbs/85% Primal
Personally I made the "cashew cheese" before and thought it tasted nothing like cheese, and a lot like hummus
I like hummus, so it was fine, but it wasn't cheese or cheesy at all.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 12:24 PM   #6
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 1400 cals/70g carbs/85% Primal
Oh!
Is there a particular reason they can't have cheese? If not, how about making your own so you can control the ingredients?
Here are some ideas on this site:
Making Cheese

If they can have milk, maybe make some mozzarella?
It's super easy to make.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 12:27 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Hi Dottie, thanks for your input, and I do understand what you're saying. Do you know of any way to get that cheese flavor? Something other than nutritional yeast? It's too bad Capella/DaVinci/Torani don't have any. I'll keep googling. Maybe another flavor maker does ...

Can't have any cheese but brie, and she really doesn't like it. She has a hankering for the cheese sauce used on nachos (Taco bell stuff) -- the cheese on mac and cheese, etc.
Huge kidney stones removed, has CKD, and the diet is challenging.

Additionally, when I have carbs, I like to keep the fat low, in which case a low-fat cheese sauce would be nice. But this is another matter. Also do have high fat with protein and then its full-flavored full-fat cheese for those eatings!

So I'm more interested in what to make for her. Thanks!

Last edited by MacN. Cheese; 04-19-2014 at 12:33 PM..
Old 04-19-2014, 06:25 PM   #8

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
don't write nutritional yeast off. some is awful and some tastes great. it varies so much you can hardly compare one to another! try some that are available in small quantities to see if you can find one she likes.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 09:23 AM   #9
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
What they all said!

Thanks for sharing your recipe!
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote