Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Have 5 pounds shredded mozzarella... (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/828245-have-5-pounds-shredded-mozzarella.html)

Iwantlessofme 04-14-2014 01:18 PM

Have 5 pounds shredded mozzarella...

Please help! I have 5 pounds of shredded mozzarella, tell me what to make with it. I am looking for LOTS of ideas to use it up before it goes bad. Include recipes if you can and as always, pictures give us something to drool over. :yummy:

Thank you soooooo much,

Mindy

Charski 04-14-2014 01:19 PM

Why not just separate it into 1 pound bags and freeze? Then you can use it as you need it instead of trying to find something quickly to use it up.

Soobee 04-14-2014 02:08 PM

I keep mine in the freezer, too.

ljguitar 04-14-2014 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iwantlessofme (Post 16875650)
Please help! I have 5 pounds of shredded mozzarella, tell me what to make with it. I am looking for LOTS of ideas to use it up before it goes bad. Include recipes if you can and as always, pictures give us something to drool over.

Hi Mindy...

We break down all our 5# shredded cheese into smaller bags and freeze all except the current bag. That way it doesn't have time to go bad.

I NEVER freeze block cheese (ruins the texture) but shredded cannot be damaged by freezing (my opinion).

Iwantlessofme 04-14-2014 04:39 PM

Really it doesn't affect the taste or texture. Just pull it out of the freezer and allow it to defrost, then use? How long does it last after defrosted and how long can it last in the freezer?

Thanks,
Mindy

glidergirl 04-14-2014 05:12 PM

I leave my shredded cheese in the freezer all the time, and take what I need in frozen state. It doesn't take long to warm up. I just throw it in whatever I am cooking straight from the freezer.

Charski 04-14-2014 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glidergirl (Post 16875930)
I leave my shredded cheese in the freezer all the time, and take what I need in frozen state. It doesn't take long to warm up. I just throw it in whatever I am cooking straight from the freezer.

This is what I do too - just pour out the amount I need. I make sure to flatten the cheese out pretty well before freezing, then it's easy to break off what you need without waiting for a whole big lump to defrost.

shelby'snana 04-14-2014 06:10 PM

me too ! Works great !!

JHoberer 04-14-2014 07:58 PM

Doritos! Just search for "low carb Doritos". It's #1 (yourlighterside)

I add spices, tomato powder, pepper powder, ranch powder...

Also- same recipe of mozzarella, eggs and zucchini- make a sweet cinnamon version. I often add chopped pecans and shredded coconut too. And break it up AND EAT IT AS BREAKFAST CEREAL with almond or coconut milk. :heart: You can't taste any cheese.

Ocean 04-14-2014 08:29 PM

I freeze shredded cheese too. there is a cheese I love called Provel cheese that I can only find in the St. Louis area. Whenever I visit, I stock up and buy lots of packs and freeze them. Works pretty good.