Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2014, 02:28 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2010
Anyone use blue cornmeal?

I was just reading somewhere that blue cornmeal is lower on the GI than other cornmeals and higher in protein. I don't pay attention to GI. I just worry about carbs. In any event, blue cornmeal seems to be " the better choice" vs yellow cornmeal. Just wondering if anyone uses it in small amounts for muffins or cornbread. I am planning to perhaps add 2 TBS to my muffins that use lupin/almond flour for corn muffins.
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2014, 03:42 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EricaHV
Stats: 240/205/120-145
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: 2/21/14
Before I went low carb I used to use blue corn. It has a lower GI, Tastes delicious and has antioxidants. Now I do not use it because I am very low carb.
EricaHV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:19 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: The Chicken Lady
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic
WOE: High Fat Low Carb Diet
Start Date: July 5th 2008
Where do you find blue cornmeal? Is that something you order online? I use ground popcorn cernals because its lower in carbs than regular cornmeal. I have a grain mill so I just buy a bag of regular popcorn and grind it myself. I then keep it in the freezer so the oils in the whole grain meal don't go ranced.

I use a 1/3 cup in a batch of almond flour cornbread. Popcorn meal is about 20 net carbs for 1/3 cup. Do you know how many carbs are in the blue cornmeal?
The Chicken Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 02:40 PM   #4
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
I looked up the blue cornmeal and it was the same as cornmeal - 22 grams carbs less 2 grams fiber, 20 net carbs.
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:05 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chicken Lady View Post
Where do you find blue cornmeal? Is that something you order online? I use ground popcorn cernals because its lower in carbs than regular cornmeal. I have a grain mill so I just buy a bag of regular popcorn and grind it myself. I then keep it in the freezer so the oils in the whole grain meal don't go ranced.

I use a 1/3 cup in a batch of almond flour cornbread. Popcorn meal is about 20 net carbs for 1/3 cup. Do you know how many carbs are in the blue cornmeal?
I've seen it locally here in GA at a Farmers Market that packages their own items. Unfortunately they don't list the nutrition info. Bob's Red Mills shows 17 net carbs per 1/4 cup on their web site but interestingly, when you enlarge the picture shown with the nutrition label, it shows 23 net carbs. So not sure which number is correct. Its definitely not a low carb item even if its lower GI
than other cornmeals.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:51 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulipsandroses View Post
I've seen it locally here in GA at a Farmers Market that packages their own items. Unfortunately they don't list the nutrition info. Bob's Red Mills shows 17 net carbs per 1/4 cup on their web site but interestingly, when you enlarge the picture shown with the nutrition label, it shows 23 net carbs. So not sure which number is correct. Its definitely not a low carb item even if its lower GI
than other cornmeals.
Just looked at the Bob Red Mills again. The pic shows 25 carbs and 3 Fiber. So 22 net carbs. The website says 21 carbs 3grams Fiber