Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Anyone use blue cornmeal? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/828051-anyone-use-blue-cornmeal.html)

tulipsandroses 04-10-2014 02:28 PM

Anyone use blue cornmeal?

I was just reading somewhere that blue cornmeal is lower on the GI than other cornmeals and higher in protein. I don't pay attention to GI. I just worry about carbs. In any event, blue cornmeal seems to be " the better choice" vs yellow cornmeal. Just wondering if anyone uses it in small amounts for muffins or cornbread. I am planning to perhaps add 2 TBS to my muffins that use lupin/almond flour for corn muffins.

EricaHV 04-10-2014 03:42 PM

Before I went low carb I used to use blue corn. It has a lower GI, Tastes delicious and has antioxidants. Now I do not use it because I am very low carb.

The Chicken Lady 04-11-2014 10:19 AM

Where do you find blue cornmeal? Is that something you order online? I use ground popcorn cernals because its lower in carbs than regular cornmeal. I have a grain mill so I just buy a bag of regular popcorn and grind it myself. I then keep it in the freezer so the oils in the whole grain meal don't go ranced.

I use a 1/3 cup in a batch of almond flour cornbread. Popcorn meal is about 20 net carbs for 1/3 cup. Do you know how many carbs are in the blue cornmeal?

Charski 04-11-2014 02:40 PM

I looked up the blue cornmeal and it was the same as cornmeal - 22 grams carbs less 2 grams fiber, 20 net carbs. :dunno:

tulipsandroses 04-11-2014 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Chicken Lady (Post 16872328)
Where do you find blue cornmeal? Is that something you order online? I use ground popcorn cernals because its lower in carbs than regular cornmeal. I have a grain mill so I just buy a bag of regular popcorn and grind it myself. I then keep it in the freezer so the oils in the whole grain meal don't go ranced.

I use a 1/3 cup in a batch of almond flour cornbread. Popcorn meal is about 20 net carbs for 1/3 cup. Do you know how many carbs are in the blue cornmeal?

I've seen it locally here in GA at a Farmers Market that packages their own items. Unfortunately they don't list the nutrition info. Bob's Red Mills shows 17 net carbs per 1/4 cup on their web site but interestingly, when you enlarge the picture shown with the nutrition label, it shows 23 net carbs. So not sure which number is correct. Its definitely not a low carb item even if its lower GI
than other cornmeals.

tulipsandroses 04-11-2014 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tulipsandroses (Post 16872878)
I've seen it locally here in GA at a Farmers Market that packages their own items. Unfortunately they don't list the nutrition info. Bob's Red Mills shows 17 net carbs per 1/4 cup on their web site but interestingly, when you enlarge the picture shown with the nutrition label, it shows 23 net carbs. So not sure which number is correct. Its definitely not a low carb item even if its lower GI
than other cornmeals.

Just looked at the Bob Red Mills again. The pic shows 25 carbs and 3 Fiber. So 22 net carbs. The website says 21 carbs 3grams Fiber