Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2014, 06:58 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Croton130
Indian Spice Stuffed Eggplant

Here is an easy recipe for Indian spice stuffed baby eggplants. Our market had, for the first time, tiny Indian eggplants, so this recipe came to mind which I have not made in a long time. You can also use the smallest Italian or Japanese eggplants you can find.

So, first you get about 1# of tiny eggplants, trim the stems but be sure to leave the green skirt/apron around the stem end intact.

eggplant2.jpg

Then slit the eggplants lengthwise into quarters to within about ¾ inch of the skirt.

eggplant3.jpg

Soak them in ice water for about 15 minutes so they open a bit like a flower bud and can be stuffed. Don't let them open too much, so watch the time.

eggplant4.jpg

Meanwhile make the stuffing, by mixing together:

2 t ground coriander
1 t ground cumin
¼ - ½ t cayenne
½ t mango powder (amchur) or 1½ t lemon juice. I used lemon juice.
½ t garam masala
1 t Kosher salt

Stuff the eggplants making sure to divide the mixture evenly among the eggplants. Save any stuffing that falls out.

eggplant5.jpg

Now heat 2T light oil (I use canola) over medium high heat in a large fry pan. When the oil is very hot add 1 t cumin seeds and when they get dark brown add ¼ t asafetida, if you have it - or omit, if not.

eggplant6.jpg

Immediately add the eggplants and any leftover filling. Sir for 15 seconds, reduce heat to low and fry, turning and tossing the eggplants for 3 to 5 minutes till the oil coats them evenly. Increase the heat to medium and fry till eggplants are lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle about 3T of water over the eggplants, reduce heat to very low, cover, and cook about 20 minutes more or until they are very tender.

Make sure to watch carefully so they don't stick, and stir from time to time. They get fragile so be careful not to break them. Then uncover, increase heat to medium-low and cook for about 5-10 minutes more till the eggplants look fried and glazed.

eggplant7.jpg

Adjust for salt, and chow down.

These are delicious and the process is a heck of a lot easier than it sounds.
They can be made in advance and re-heated. My eggplants weighed just under a pound altogether, so with the lemon juice I figure about 12 to 13 net carbs for the entire dish.
Croton130 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2014, 07:44 AM   #2
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
WOW that looks STUNNING! I am drooling here. I love Indian food and I love eggplants and "my" local produce market often has those cute little guys - I feel an Indian feast coming on!

Thanks, Roger. I love your recipes.
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:09 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Croton130
Thanks for the kind words Char.
Croton130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 01:54 PM   #4
Yaz
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Yaz
Wow, I'm going to have to try that recipe! I LOVE eggplant and Indian food. My favourite Indian restaurant made the worlds BEST eggplant curry, unfortunately they closed a few years ago.
Yaz is offline   Reply With Quote