Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2014, 05:30 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Stats: SW:310 CW:266 GW:130
WOE: LCHF/Keto
Mason Jar Meals?

Like a lot of people, I am crazy busy during the week and the weekend is reserved for madly running around doing the chores that have been ignored earlier. For this reason, I have settled into the practice of making a 2-3 large meals on the weekend, so I can save time by not having to cook every night.

This has its advantages and I don't think I could manage without precooking but there is always some degree of waste and when you're busy... well, portion control sometimes goes out the window. I did some shot-in-the-dark Googling and stumbled on Mason Jar Meals.

Essentially, you do your cooking or food prep and then divide into the jars. According to the blog, you use smaller jars for snacks and larger jars for single or multiple person meals. Meal examples included mini-cinnamon rolls, salads, meat dishes and egg and salmon snacks. What I found most interesting was that you don't need to can it or anything else- just use the jars as containers and keep in the fridge. You can then take one to work/school and keep cool or heat as necessary.

This sounds great but what is it like in practice? Has anyone tried this? How well do meals keep, particularly the salad and fish?
backseatadventurer is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2014, 06:31 PM   #2
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
I can't speak to meals, but I do homemade yogurt in 4 oz. canning jars - it's perfect for portion control. I'd think the same might be true of doing meals in canning jars.

We do can things like turkey soup, ham cubes, ground beef, etc. - and those are portion-controlled also, if you make them in single or double serving sized jars.
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:37 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: muncheechee
Stats: 261/235/145 (5'6")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 8/14/14
I haven't done meals in them but have stored salad greens in jars. If you have a foodsaver you can get the jar attachment. Vacuum packed lettuce lasted a good two weeks. You can build a salad in a jar but I haven't tried it.... there are plenty websites with salad suggestions.
muncheechee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:40 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Stats: SW:310 CW:266 GW:130
WOE: LCHF/Keto
I must confess that half the reason I'm curious is because the jars look so pretty in the blogger's fridge .

I have tried to portion control in individual containers which are plastic (tupperware type stuff). The problem is that they aren't air tight and sometimes things start to smell like stale fridge or old plastic. Salad also refuses to stay fresh in my containers.

Besides, I'd like to get away from storing things in plastic.
backseatadventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:18 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: muncheechee
Stats: 261/235/145 (5'6")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 8/14/14
I highly recommend the glass Snap Ware. I switched out all my plastic for glass and really love it. I can bake in it, store it, and even freeze it but be sure to get the newest version with the freezeable lids. I love jars for storage because they look nice but they aren't always a convenient shape.
muncheechee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:40 PM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
I've used the mason jars to hold everything from ground chia seeds to salad in a jar.
When you do a salad it goes in the way you are going to dump it out on to your plate.

1. meat
2. layers of veggies
3. cheese
4. lettuce
This is so good.Amazon has pretty blue mason jars.It dumps out great too.Amazon also has the little cups that the dressing goes in. They fit mason jars.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:24 AM   #7
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
Esther: you put the wet stuff on bottom so it won't soggy up the rest, right? Sounds like a great idea
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 02:30 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
I have only used Mason jars for vacuum sealing dry products and for steam canning tomatoes and making pickles, etc.

I never thought of having a meal in a jar. I have to go google that now.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 02:37 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I am curious...if you make a salad in a mason jar, do you eat it from the jar or dump it into a bowl when you are ready to eat? I'm guessing you would dump it into a bowl....is this right?
Old 04-09-2014, 03:01 PM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
Esther: you put the wet stuff on bottom so it won't soggy up the rest, right? Sounds like a great idea
Yes and I always put it on a plate . It comes out delish. It's my fast food..... Lots of times I put a layer of olives.

I Vacuum seal too.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 04:08 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosethorns View Post
I've used the mason jars to hold everything from ground chia seeds to salad in a jar.
When you do a salad it goes in the way you are going to dump it out on to your plate.

1. meat
2. layers of veggies
3. cheese
4. lettuce
This is so good.Amazon has pretty blue mason jars.It dumps out great too.Amazon also has the little cups that the dressing goes in. They fit mason jars.

Ahh, somehow I missed this post. I think I'll try some salads in a jar, might save some time.
Old 04-12-2014, 12:23 PM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
Quote:
Originally Posted by muncheechee View Post
I highly recommend the glass Snap Ware. I switched out all my plastic for glass and really love it. I can bake in it, store it, and even freeze it but be sure to get the newest version with the freezeable lids. I love jars for storage because they look nice but they aren't always a convenient shape.
^^This is what I did. Or if I make a casserole, I'll freeze the portions and then food saver them. Quick and easy for later. I second the shape of the jars being a pain. I use some XO containers for almond flour, coconut flour etc. in the fridge and freezer.
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 01:20 PM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: luvkoala5373
Stats: current: 184.8-goal:35# or more
WOE: Just following a low carb diet
Start Date: April 2014 {again}
I'd like to try this 'meals in a jar' - -ill have to look into it more -and maybe get the jar attachment for my FoodSaver. I already use the old mason jars for storing things - like a 3-2-1 cake mix for when the grandkids come over {then I don't have a bunch of cake or cupcakes sitting around}, spaghetti, rice (for DBF) and of course, canning in the Fall. I've used the FoodSaver bags for leftover Zucchini parm, freeze, and boil like the 'Boil in Bags' - but it really squishes them too much.
luvkoala5373 is offline   Reply With Quote