Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Erythritol question (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/827139-erythritol-question.html)

gofigr 04-05-2014 06:15 AM

Erythritol question
 
If my sweetener states 3 carb and 3 erythritol, does the etol "cancel" the carbs?
Will it check me into a roach motel from which I shall never return?

grneyedldy 04-05-2014 06:40 AM

Yes. I count erythritol as zero carbs.

ljguitar 04-05-2014 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gofigr (Post 16863880)
If my sweetener states 3 carb and 3 erythritol, does the etol "cancel" the carbs?
Will it check me into a roach motel from which I shall never return?

Hi Harry...

I count Erythritol as zero net carbs.

I'm not as strict as some who are counting everything and then deducting percentages for food alcohols, and fiber etc. I go with net carbs where I cancel out both fiber and alcohols...



JHoberer 04-05-2014 09:57 AM

I am very strict with sugar alcohols but my research shows that erythritol is the only one that is truly low carb. It is .2 calories per gram (sugar is 4)... that's close enough to me!

I might count a carb from it if I was eating something heavily sweetened... like buttercream icing.

The others though... sorbitol, xylitol and the dreaded maltitol- they don't make the cut. Laura Dolson has a nice chart you can search for that compares them.

My favorite sweetener blend is 1/2 EZ-Sweetz drops, 1/2 Stevia drops for non-baked things (coffee, drinks, yogurt...) For baking with I use 1/2 erythritol or erythritol based sweetener (Swerve, Truvia), 1/4 EZ-Sweetz drops, 1/4 Stevia drops.

So 1 cup's worth of sweetener in a baked good would be 1/2 cup erythritol, Swerve or Truvia + 12 drops EZ-Sweetz + 12 drops Stevia.

gofigr 04-05-2014 10:01 AM

Thanks Larry, but I'm still feeling like a bit of a dimwit here. Is my Truvia 3 net carbs or 0?? My head is spinnin on this sweetener thing and I can't seem to find my backside with both hands. I guess I forgot to mention in my post that its truvia.

gofigr 04-05-2014 10:08 AM

Thanks Jen, the sweetener thing seems to escape my manner of thinking.

ljguitar 04-05-2014 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gofigr (Post 16864294)
Thanks Larry, but I'm still feeling like a bit of a dimwit here. Is my Truvia 3 net carbs or 0?? My head is spinnin on this sweetener thing and I can't seem to find my backside with both hands. I guess I forgot to mention in my post that its truvia.

Hi Harry...

I count Truvia zero carbs...the 3 carbs listed in their Nutrition info are from Erythritol.



gofigr 04-05-2014 10:39 AM

Thank you much Larry, sometimes a feller just need it simple. My question is answered.

grneyedldy 04-05-2014 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gofigr (Post 16864351)
Thank you much Larry, sometimes a feller just need it simple. My question is answered.

HEY! I don't think my answer could have been more simple:

Yes. I count erythritol as zero carbs.

Was it cuz I'm not a guy? :dunno: :o :laugh:

gofigr 04-05-2014 12:11 PM

I'm sorry, I didn't understand that the carbs came from the erythritol and was also unaware of your gender.

grneyedldy 04-05-2014 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gofigr (Post 16864499)
I'm sorry, I didn't understand that the carbs came from the erythritol and was also unaware of your gender.

I'm just joshing with you. And I thought my user name answered the gender question. :) :hiya:


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:05 AM.