Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   What are you cooking? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/826837-what-you-cooking.html)

Charski 03-31-2014 02:05 PM

What are you cooking?

I just put four huge artichokes on to boil, I have 3 pounds of seasoned sausage patties in the oven, I have tenderized steaks ready to make chicken-fried steaks for dinner, along with mashed cauliflower and pan gravy. All LC of course!

You got anything cookin'? Pictures welcomed!

Croton130 03-31-2014 02:48 PM

Just leftover roast beef & br:dunno:ussel sprouts :dunno:

rosethorns 03-31-2014 03:25 PM

I should take pics. I've chia tortillas & chia bread. It's pretty good. Still chilly up here. So I've chili in the crockpot.

sligh 03-31-2014 03:27 PM

Broiled chicken along with Roasted Eggplant with Smoked Almonds & Goat Cheese. I love fresh artichokes, but I've never made them. Have to put that on my list of things to do.

grneyedldy 03-31-2014 03:34 PM

Ham, Swiss and mushroom quiche and green salad.

Charski 03-31-2014 03:48 PM

They're dead simple Sligh. First trick is to get the right kind though - I'll only buy the old heirloom "Globe" type chokes - the other ones don't have enough on them worth eating to even bother cooking them, IMHO.

Roger, "just" leftover roast beef? YUM!

Essy, sounds like you've been busy, woman. :up:

Charski 03-31-2014 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grneyedldy (Post 16857823)
Ham, Swiss and mushroom quiche and green salad.

Ooo, quiche - gosh I haven't made any in ages. Needs to go on the menu plan!

at_last 03-31-2014 04:27 PM

Burgers, fried radishes and ceasar salad. Everyone else's sounds great!

Arachide 03-31-2014 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rosethorns (Post 16857808)
I should take pics. I've chia tortillas & chia bread. It's pretty good. Still chilly up here. So I've chili in the crockpot.

Hi rosethorns,
Do you have a recipe for the chia tortillas, and are they induction friendly?

Doug_H 03-31-2014 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charski (Post 16857708)
I just put four huge artichokes on to boil, I have 3 pounds of seasoned sausage patties in the oven, I have tenderized steaks ready to make chicken-fried steaks for dinner, along with mashed cauliflower and pan gravy. All LC of course!

You got anything cookin'? Pictures welcomed!

What do you do, freeze all of this??

This would be at least 2 weeks of meals for us.:dunno:

Doug

Partyof7 03-31-2014 09:23 PM

She invites me to dinner, Doug.

JHoberer 03-31-2014 11:29 PM

Leftovers tonight because we took the kids on a homeschool field trip. 2 kinds of sausage, bacon dill sour cream fauxtato salad, dehydrated "Doritos" (zucchini, shredded cheese, egg, ground dehydrated powders from tomatoes, peppers, garlic, onion) with guacamole (3/4 avocado worth), some greens with Caesar dressing and a slice of garlic cheddar cheese. It was way too much food but so good after walking all afternoon.

No breakfast.

Lunch was a few McDonald's double cheeseburgers without the buns, onions or ketchup and "Doritos" and guacamole (1/2 avocado worth). I also had a Quest bar in the middle of the afternoon.

Charski 03-31-2014 11:31 PM

LOL!

The sausage patties get cooled and put in the freezer. The artichokes make 2 meals for DH and me and another for my Mom. Tonight we had half an artichoke, chicken fried steak (of which there are two left), gravy (yep, leftovers) and mashed cauli, the rest of which I'll take to Mom too.

Charski 04-01-2014 09:50 AM

I'm making Greek yogurt today, and baking some sprouted-wheat bread.

tulipsandroses 04-01-2014 01:26 PM

Dinner tonight will be crispy golden buttermilk fried shrimp - (Using LC Food Corp's white bread flour as the breading). With Tartar Sauce.
Plus Garlic Cheddar Biscuits - made with lupin/almond flour and a salad.

Redeemed 04-01-2014 02:20 PM

Hotdish. It snowed this morning :sad: so I made some comfort food. I fried hamburger, onion; added Ro-tel tomatoes with chilies, a 16 ounce bag chopped cooked cauliflower. Mixed everything together and put in a baking dish and topped with Campbells Fiesta Cheese soup and French's crispy onions. Baked at 400 for 25 minutes.

Charski 04-01-2014 02:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
That sounds good!

I found some crispy-fried onions at the Indian market - they're fried in palm oil, nothing else, no flour or anything. I've been using those in place of the French's - they're really good.

Not sure of the carbs in that soup but I bet that the Tostitos Salsa con Queso would be good in that too, what do you think? Have you ever tried it? Would love to know how it compares to that soup!

The yogurt is in the dehydrator and the sprouted wheat bread is in the bread machine.

Redeemed 04-01-2014 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charski (Post 16859244)
That sounds good!

I found some crispy-fried onions at the Indian market - they're fried in palm oil, nothing else, no flour or anything. I've been using those in place of the French's - they're really good.

Not sure of the carbs in that soup but I bet that the Tostitos Salsa con Queso would be good in that too, what do you think? Have you ever tried it? Would love to know how it compares to that soup!

The yogurt is in the dehydrator and the sprouted wheat bread is in the bread machine.

Do you have the name of those crispy onions from the Indian market? Maybe I can find them online. I would have used my favorite crumbled spicy pork skin puffs but didn't have any on hand. I have pork dust, but want to save that for bredding for fish tomorrow. The soup was 13 net carbs for l/2 cup serving (2 .5 servings per can). It went over the entire hotdish, So, I'm thinking about 4 tablespoons per serving. The Tostitos Salsa sounds good too.

Charski 04-01-2014 03:35 PM

The onions just say "Fried Onion" on the front, and product of Thailand - made by JackHua Company Ltd.

These say onions, soy bean oil, yellow No. 5. The last ones I bought were fried in palm oil, which I'd prefer - didn't read this label before I bought, obviously! :rolleyes:

Amazon has them, look for JHC Fried Onion - but the same container that they want $10 for, I got for $2.99 at the Indian market! :)

You might be able to find them elsewhere for less than $10 but that will at least give you a picture to go from.

Redeemed 04-01-2014 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charski (Post 16859311)
The onions just say "Fried Onion" on the front, and product of Thailand - made by JackHua Company Ltd.

These say onions, soy bean oil, yellow No. 5. The last ones I bought were fried in palm oil, which I'd prefer - didn't read this label before I bought, obviously! :rolleyes:

Amazon has them, look for JHC Fried Onion - but the same container that they want $10 for, I got for $2.99 at the Indian market! :)

You might be able to find them elsewhere for less than $10 but that will at least give you a picture to go from.

Thanks!

Redeemed 04-01-2014 03:55 PM

CHARSKI: I found the onions you mentioned initially. They're called Fried Red Onion from ImportFoods. Ingredients: onions and palm oil. $2.55 on Amazon. Product of Thailand.

Charski 04-01-2014 04:00 PM

:notwrthy:

THANK you, and if the Indian market doesn't carry that kind any more, I'll get them from Amazon! :)

tulipsandroses 04-01-2014 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tulipsandroses (Post 16859155)
Dinner tonight will be crispy golden buttermilk fried shrimp - (Using LC Food Corp's white bread flour as the breading). With Tartar Sauce.
Plus Garlic Cheddar Biscuits - made with lupin/almond flour and a salad.

So here's a pic of my dinner. Not a great pic but, dinner was deelish! I just love that flour for breading, it never disappoints. For those that can do wheat, it really is worth the money IMO when it comes to frying.

[IMG]http://i1305.photobucket.com/albums/...ps73cd4783.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i1305.photobucket.com/albums/...ps78d4721e.jpg[/IMG]

Yaz 04-01-2014 07:47 PM

I just finished baking about a zillion mini crab and shrimp cakes! Tomorrow I'm making some Chocolate Wafer Cookies (have the dough hardening in the fridge overnight.)

Croton130 04-02-2014 06:06 AM

Hey Char,

Tonight its Madhur Jaffrey's Lemony Coriander Chicken, an old favorite I had forgotten about. I like it so much I posted the recipe under a separate thread.

Charski 04-02-2014 09:26 AM

MMM Roger that sounds divine!

Today I'll be doing the cream cheese/Ortega chile stuffed/rolled flank steak. Otherwise I don't think I need to cook much - still have artichokes and mashed cauli too.

Silverlynx35 04-02-2014 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by at_last (Post 16857905)
fried radishes!

Details please?
I've never even considered cooking radishes but I love 'em raw.

at_last 04-03-2014 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silverlynx35 (Post 16860473)
Details please?
I've never even considered cooking radishes but I love 'em raw.

Fried radishes are great! They mellow out when fried, don't have as much of a bite. They are a good substitute for fried potatoes, and super simple to make. I don't peel them, just wash and trim the ends. Cut into bite size pieces and fry in your choice of fat or oil.

Bacon grease is tasty to use. They don't get really soft so just cook until browned on all sides, just like frying potatoes.

ljguitar 04-03-2014 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charski (Post 16857708)
…You got anything cookin'?

Hi Char...

I'm cold smoking Sharp Cheddar Cheese Blocks (12# worth) today and tomorrow. The weather is perfect for it (35°F outside).

No pictures, because you can't really see much through the smoke…

I'm shooting for 3-4 hours of smoke. The internal temp of the smoker will really dictate how long I am able to extend it. After 3-4 hours it's taken on all the smoke it is going to.

Redeemed 04-03-2014 12:54 PM

Baked tuna cheese burgers on beef steak tomatoes topped with French's crispy onions.