Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2014, 05:32 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Croton130
The myth of LC eating being boring

I am not sure why, but lots of us (myself included till I thought it through) seem to think that our LC lifestyle results in boring meals which require a constant search for new ways to make food tasty and interesting again.

Putting aside the never ending quest for bread products we can eat, say, pizza or rolls or such, I have decided we are being silly.

Just for the heck of it I sat down and made a list of the dinners we always had when there were no limits on the ingredients to be used. I found that, basically, there were 10 to 15 meals that cycled through "the rotation" over a 2 or 3 week period. To be sure there were changes and substitutions and more take out, but basically I think we all eat the same 10 to 20 meals all the time. Well, I certainly have that many LC meals I really enjoy, so what is the problem? There is none.

So I am ending my quest for that elusive perfect LC dinner. I will no longer pine for anything (except pizza) and I will focus on the fact that my favorite meals were always eggplant parmigiana (which I LOVE in its LC form with baked eggplant slices) and a prime rib or great steak. I can still have them as much as I want - along with lots of other great stuff.
Croton130 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2014, 06:01 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Madmarsha
Stats: 212/157/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: October 2013
I totally agree. If we think about it, I think we all tend to get the same dish or types of dishes when ordering in restaurants and our grocery carts are usually filled with the same ingredients week in, week out whether we're actively trying to lose weight or not. You go for the familiar, the favorites, etc. It's human nature.

What we're experiencing is stepping out of the tried and true which means that at first, it takes a lot of thought and effort. Just put the bread down and step away.
Madmarsha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 06:43 PM   #3
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
+1! I do not get it when people say they get bored with this WOE? I LOVE eating this way. But then, I was never a big bread/crackers/sweets eater anyway, and any of those things I think I miss - I can make an LC version that equals or exceeds it.

It's not for everyone. But boring - it ain't!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 06:48 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ocean
Stats: 240/144/ Below 145 5'1.5"
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: June 2010
I was pretty predictable in my meals when I was high carb and I am still predictable now that I am low carb. I like what I like.
Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 08:30 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
I must be weird. I can't eat the same thing all the time. I love this WOE and I have alot of food intolerences.

I love the choices we have.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 08:31 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LindaSL
WOE: Just LC (carb counter)
Start Date: May 2011
Agreed in part. Actually I think our menu is much more varied than before LC, since I'm constantly looking for tasty recipes. DH (the primary cook) is willing to try them out and I actually started baking LC breads and crackers and desserts. Can't complain at all.
LindaSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:07 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jakelilydad
WOE: low carbs
Start Date: Feb 2012
I agree totally, LC is not a boring WOE, unless you make it so. I have found lots of great things that I never would have tried (mashed cauliflower, anyone? Pork rind pancakes?) in my high carb days, and even though I ate fairly clean food then, I think I am eating much cleaner now. Sure, there are things I miss, but I find I can eat virtually anything I want, if (and this is sometimes a big if) I am willing to make it. The difference is in the convenience foods, which are typically junk food that I probably shouldn't eat too often anyway, and so having to make them acts as a brake on my consumption level.
Jakelilydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:38 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2010
I never thought eating LC was boring. I used to eat out all the time or had take out. Still do it when I am super busy but I far prefer my own food to restaurant foods these days. I do love trying new recipes. But that's just my nature anyway. I love trying new things in general. I'm a product, gadget junkie as well. Always on the prowl for something new and interesting.
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:26 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Partyof7
Stats: 41 pounds down (with LC IF), 102 more to lose.
Start Date: March 16th 2014 reset:12/1/14
I have been a bread/cracker/sweets person my entire life *chuckle*
When I was 17 and did Atkins, I didn't know how to cook - so it was bunless cheeseburgers, salad, cheese, and hardboiled eggs, supplemented with the odd can of tuna. BOOOOORING.

I love to cook. My favorite style of food involves lentils, and beans. I miss those, but I know what sugar does to my body.

I find that now that I know how to cook, what flavors there are in the world and that I dont have to solely eat meat and eggs and cheese-- LC is no way boring.
Partyof7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:07 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ljguitar
Stats: 350++/under 240/wherever 30 net carbs a day leads
WOE: 30 net carbs a day or less...unclean eating
Start Date: August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
…boring - it ain't!
Hi Char...(and others)

Thinking about it, it probably is more likely to get boring if one only eats already-prepared foods, and doesn't want to work at putting food together, shop frequently, and clean up the kitchen when you're done!

It limits what people fix if they are not willing to actively cook/create decent low carb food.

ljguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 04:29 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
Start Date: September 2000
I think you hit the nail on the head, Larry. Being willing to cook enriches your life on whatever diet you choose to follow.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:35 AM   #12
Gadget Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Char...(and others)

Thinking about it, it probably is more likely to get boring if one only eats already-prepared foods, and doesn't want to work at putting food together, shop frequently, and clean up the kitchen when you're done!

It limits what people fix if they are not willing to actively cook/create decent low carb food.

Yeah, probably - and I bet they're the same people who don't cook anyway, and probably eat the same high carb stuff all the time - but when faced with LC choices, quickly become "bored" because it's not what they're USED to eating.

I'm glad I like to cook!
Old 04-01-2014, 10:20 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ljguitar
Stats: 350++/under 240/wherever 30 net carbs a day leads
WOE: 30 net carbs a day or less...unclean eating
Start Date: August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
…I'm glad I like to cook!
Hi Char (& others)…

We have a friend who is 55 and never been married. He told us the other day "I cooked dinner last night…" and I asked "What microwave setting did you use?"

He said "6".

ljguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 10:55 AM   #14
Gadget Gal

LOL Larry!!
Old 04-01-2014, 01:32 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
Start Date: March 2010
Ya know, the first time I tried LC, this was when LC first started gaining popularity and it was all over the media - I knew nothing about LC eating. I just went by what people said. Subsequently my 1st try at LC did not last long since all I ate was grilled chicken and salad and fast food burgers without the bun. Of course that got boring really quickly. It was not until I found this board many years later and followed the advice here and actually bought an Atkins book and fully understood what LC eating was about that I realized all the wonderful foods I could eat. That shifted the focus from what you can't eat to look at all the foods YOU CAN eat. I take full advantage of all the foods that I can eat that I love eating, and I love coming up with great ways to enjoy them.

Last edited by tulipsandroses; 04-01-2014 at 01:34 PM..
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 01:44 PM   #16
Gadget Gal