Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2014, 02:55 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MSS726
WOE: Low Carb
Daikon Suggestions?

OK, I made a nice braised roast in the crock pot. Lots of broth. I also have a daikon that I just bought the other day for the 1st time. How do I make it? Can it be mashed like potatoes, do I just boil them, do I bake? Did't think of the early enough to add to my braised beef, which probably would have been the best.
MSS726 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2014, 03:05 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JHoberer
Stats: 283/177.0/170, 5'10.5", 38
WOE: 1/08: Atkins, 8/11: HCG, 7/12: JUDDD, 10/12: HCG
I've never used them like mashed potatoes but I have boiled the little red radishes for about 45 minutes (switching out red water once) to make boiled "potatoes". I imagine peeled & cubed daikon would be similar and then you can mash them.

However... you CAN cut them into tiny matchstick pieces and fry them like fries. Wonderfully crispy! But the time between golden deliciousness and burnt is about this long --><--.
JHoberer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 03:56 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Croton130
Somewhere I have a delicious Indian recipe for radishes with their greens (Indians waste very little). Let me know if you want me to dig it out - I might anyway since I haven't made it in a while. Alas, that probably won't help you with your daikon.
Croton130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 05:02 PM   #4

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I think you might like daikon as cubes in soup or fried better than mashed. they really have virtually zero starch, so you won't be getting that potato texture at all.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 05:08 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Partyof7
Stats: 46 pounds down, 102 more to lose.
WOE: JUDD induc.UD 4/10/14 LC'ish, Calorie awareness
Start Date: March 16th 2014
I will have to look up about daikon.
Partyof7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 05:08 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MSS726
WOE: Low Carb
Thanks for the suggestions, as I am going to buy more. I will definitely try frying them.

Croton130, I would like the recipe. I have tried red radishes fried with onions, same as potatoes and I loved them.

I ended up taking some of the broth from my crockpot and adding the chopped daicon to it, and boiled for about 45 minutes. They actually were quite good, and not much difference from a turnip. They were even smashable with the gravy on top. And, best of all, husband approved, since he ate them without any complaints!
MSS726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 05:24 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS726 View Post

Croton130, I would like the recipe.
I will dig it out tomorrow (hopefully) and post it on this thread.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:34 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

As promised, Indian style radishes and their greens - from Madhur Jaffrey:

Ingredients

about 1 ½ lb. (2 large bunches) white radish or red radishes with green leaves
1 inch cube fresh ginger, peeled
1 or two serrano peppers, or hotter ones, depending on your love of heat.
5 T ghee or vegetable oil of choice
½ t salt
2 t ground coriander seeds
1 t ground cumin seeds
¼ t ground turmeric

Separate the radishes from their leaves. Wash the leaves well and then cut crosswise into ¼ inch strips. Set aside.

Wash the radishes and trim off the tails. Cut them into ¼ inch dice.

Cut the ginger, crosswise, into very fine slices. Stacking several slices over each other at a time (sort of a mini julienne), cut them first into very thin strips and then cut the strips, crosswise, into minute dice. Cut the green chilies, crosswise into very thin slices.

Heat the oil in a large, nonstick frying pan or wok over a medium-high flame. When hot, put in the ginger and the green chilies. Stir and fry until the ginger starts to brown. Now put in the chopped radish leaves, the chopped radishes, salt, coriander, cumin and turmeric. Stir. Cover and cook on a medium-low heat for about 15 minutes or until the greens are tender. Remove the cover, turn the heat up and boil away any liquid that may have formed.

Notes: As with most Indian recipes it is helpful to measure out all your spices in advance and set them near the stove. I tend to go through the recipe in advance and put all the spices that get added at the same time, together in one cup or ramekin.

On occasion I have not cooked this dish soon enough after buying the radishes and the greens have gone a little south. If that happens, just leave the greens out. it will be just as delicious. Come to think of it, you could make this with daikon - which after all is the point of the thread - even without the greens.

This dish is very earthy in taste and texture, both because of the nature of radishes themselves and all the spices, especially the turmeric. I like to pair this with other Indian food or a good steak!

roger
Old 03-31-2014, 04:02 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Partyof7
Stats: 46 pounds down, 102 more to lose.
WOE: JUDD induc.UD 4/10/14 LC'ish, Calorie awareness
Start Date: March 16th 2014
Sounds delicious!!!!
Partyof7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:17 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: lindaokc
Stats: 196/170/140?
WOE: atkins/hcg/learning
Start Date: Feb, 07
Jimmy Moore posted a video of his wife roasting daikon radishes. She just put thin slices on a glass pan, I used a tin foil covered pan, covered them w/ italian dressing then sprinkled parmesan cheese on top. She said she cooked them about 30 min. at 350. I've made this a couple of times and they are yummy and so easy. They sure don't taste like radish.
lindaokc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:57 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jakelilydad
WOE: low carbs
Start Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindaokc View Post
Jimmy Moore posted a video of his wife roasting daikon radishes. She just put thin slices on a glass pan, I used a tin foil covered pan, covered them w/ italian dressing then sprinkled parmesan cheese on top. She said she cooked them about 30 min. at 350. I've made this a couple of times and they are yummy and so easy. They sure don't taste like radish.
Wow! That sounds good, and easy, too. I imagine you could use other cheeses, too, to vary the flavor. I'm always looking for new non-starchy "starch" side dishes. Can't wait to try this - how thin do you slice the Daikon?
Jakelilydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:00 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JHoberer
Stats: 283/177.0/170, 5'10.5", 38
WOE: 1/08: Atkins, 8/11: HCG, 7/12: JUDDD, 10/12: HCG
Pretty darn thin! Or boil them a bit first. She said herself that batch wasn't quite cooked enough. Sure looked tasty!
JHoberer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:01 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: lindaokc
Stats: 196/170/140?
WOE: atkins/hcg/learning
Start Date: Feb, 07
I sliced mine about the same thickness as I USED to slice potatoes for fried potatoes. Mine were done in the 30 min. I don't know how thick that would be by measuring. Try several different thicknesses and then you'll know how thin to slice. They really were so good.
lindaokc is offline   Reply With Quote