Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Tandoori Chicken (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/826579-tandoori-chicken.html)

Croton130 03-26-2014 05:10 PM

Tandoori Chicken

I love Indian food and cook various dishes often. One of my favorites is Tandoori Chicken which, with a little planning, is easy to make well. I have a great recipe if anyone wants it - just ask.

My question is what people think of the idea of smoking the chicken for a bit and then finishing it over the coals? I think it might be good. I guess I will have to try it to know, but thoughts would be appreciated.

Charski 03-26-2014 07:00 PM

PURTY PLEASE post the recipe! :)

I LOVE Indian food as does DH. We make butter chicken somewhat often, and I also like to make palak paneer, making the cheese from scratch is pretty simple. We also love any kind of vindaloo, I normally make it from pork though. Tikka masala is another good one.

I adore the garam masala spice I get from Whole Foods. It's more cinnamon/clove-y than some others which tend more to the cumin-y/coriander side. Not being a huge fan of either of those things, I prefer the former!

Croton130 03-27-2014 04:58 AM

What Charski wants, Charski gets, so here goes. This sounds complicated but it is definitely not.
This is a sort of combination recipe based on several I have read and tried, but heavily dependent on Julie Sahni. We have made this with great success countless times. Start with:

One young chicken
2½ t unseasoned papaya enzyme meat tenderizer
1/3 C lemon juice

You will need about 2 to 2½ pounds of chicken pieces in any form you like. Can be a whole chicken cut up, all thighs, boneless breasts etc. We like thighs, with or without the bones. The secret to getting the right consistency is to use papaya enzyme as a tenderizer. You might ask where in the heck do I get that and the answer is at any supermarket. Adolph’s Unseasoned Meat Tenderizer is papaya enzyme plus some agent to keep it flowing.

Make sure all the skin is removed from your chicken and then slash each piece about ½ inch deep every inch or so. Pierce each piece with a fork as well.

Place in a bowl, add the Adolph’s and lemon juice to the chicken and rub into the slashes and all around your pieces for 2 minutes or so.

Cover and set aside for ½ hour while you prepare the marinade. You will need:

2 large cloves garlic
1 T coarsely chopped fresh ginger
1 t ground roasted cumin seeds
½ t ground cardamom (if you don’t have it just leave it out - it will still be good)
½ t cayenne
1/3 C plain yogurt
1 t tandoori coloring or about 3 drops yellow food coloring to 1 drop of red (optional)

Put all the marinade ingredients into a blender or processor and process until it is a smooth sauce. Pour the marinade over the chicken pieces (do not drain the lemon juice/tenderizer) cover and refrigerate overnight, or up to but no more than 2 days, turning the pieces from time to time.

When ready to cook, remove from frige and bring to room temperature. You can now roast in a 500 to 550 oven, brushed with ghee (I use plain old melted butter), on a rack in a shallow pan, for about 25 - 30 minutes. Even better, if you can, roast over hot hot coals, on a well oiled grate turning and basting with butter every ten minutes or so till done. You will have to make adjustments from your usual cooking time for chicken. This bird has been marinating in tenderizer for a while and will cook faster.

A few notes. If you have access to a good Indian grocer you can buy your spices for far less than regular markets. Even the usually ridiculously expensive cardamom can be had for 5 or 6 dollars for 5 times the amount in the little McKormick jar at $14. The coloring is completely optional, but very traditional, and we like the look of it, but your chicken will be just as good without it. Finally, this same recipe and process can be used with cubed chicken breast. After marinating the cubes put them on skewers that are long enough to bridge the rim of a small, and somewhat deeper roasting pan. We use one that came with an old toaster over. Brush with ghee/butter and roast in a hot oven or grill as above, turning as you baste.

Finally, I have no idea of the carb count, but other than the lemon juice and yogurt, there should be virtually none. Since most of the marinade gets tossed in the end, or cooked off, this should be pretty guiltless.

And there you have it.

NAT&RD 03-27-2014 07:04 AM

For the cardamon look for Tones brand, about $1.50 for a small container, probably 1/4 cup. Maybe not the best deal if using a lot of a spice , but for trying its nice not to make a big investment. I buy my carraway seeds from them also.

Croton130 03-27-2014 07:25 AM

Have never seen that brand on the shelves around here. Is it regional? I am in NY.

Charski 03-27-2014 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Croton130 (Post 16852404)
What Charski wants, Charski gets, so here goes.

:hyst: I wish it was THAT easy! :)

Thanks for the recipe, Roger. It looks delicious. Wonder if you couldn't just use a little turmeric for color? It won't be as red as tandoori chicken normally is but it would be an easy, inexpensive, "natural" way to go with it - you could always add a little red food coloring, I suppose!

penguinpower 03-27-2014 08:11 AM

Oh this sounds so good - we love Indian food, too. Char, could you please post the instructions for making paneer?

Charski 03-27-2014 08:37 AM

I found several sources on YouTube but if you go to YT and search this:

How to make Paneer by Manjula, Indian Vegetarian Cooking

that is the one I used! Very simple and very good.

Croton130 03-27-2014 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charski (Post 16852627)
:hyst: I wish it was THAT easy! :)

Thanks for the recipe, Roger. It looks delicious. Wonder if you couldn't just use a little turmeric for color? It won't be as red as tandoori chicken normally is but it would be an easy, inexpensive, "natural" way to go with it - you could always add a little red food coloring, I suppose!

I think tumeric would not give the color you want + would alter the flavor with its earthiness. Probably better of with no color if that is an issue. Just sayin.

Charski 03-27-2014 12:29 PM

Hmmm, you may have a point there. I like turmeric and IIRC some Indian dishes use it, but it may not be the right flavor with that tandoori recipe.

NAT&RD 03-27-2014 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Croton130 (Post 16852586)
Have never seen that brand on the shelves around here. Is it regional? I am in NY.

I'm in Calif. These are carried around here in the low end groceries. Cost Less. Save Max etc. They are in little red and white plastic containers. Company is in Memphis TN.

NAT&RD 03-27-2014 03:56 PM

Thank you for starting this thread, havent made tandori chicken in ages. Just boght 8 lb of chicken thieghs , will be making this tomorrow night.

Croton130 03-27-2014 05:02 PM

Here in NY our lower end spices are Spice Island or Badia, a Latin company with a very good line of herbs, spices and the like.

Croton130 03-27-2014 05:04 PM

I will probably make some this weekend. I am thinking of giving the chicken a little smoke for a short time and then finishing on the grill. We'll see.

Croton130 03-28-2014 06:14 AM

Well, if the rains come as predicted I will not be doing this chicken till next week! We shall see.

Charski 03-28-2014 07:37 AM

What! You're a fair weather smoker?! :laugh:

Me too. Except with this new little Oster, I can smoke in the garage with the door open if I want, in whatever kind of weather. Of course we don't have to contend with SNOW so I'd give ya a pass on that account anyway. :D

Croton130 03-28-2014 08:55 AM

Very generous of you!. Actually I prefer to smoke in cold weather as it is easier to control my temps. BUT, rain is bad bad bad for my smoker (ever hear of rust?) so I tend to avoid it.

Patience 03-28-2014 08:57 AM

charski, how about a vindaloo recipe?

Charski 03-28-2014 10:51 AM

So easy, Patience, as I "cheat" and use Patak's Vindaloo Paste in a jar! :laugh:

Cube up pork, chicken, whatever you like into about 1" cubes. If using pork, I like the sirloin - the loin tends to get dry if you overcook it. Tenderloin can be used, but IMHO it's WAY overkill for this dish.

Large-dice an onion, and same with a couple peppers, red, green, yellow, combo, whatever you like. I usually add some thinly-sliced Serranos peppers too. Put the veggies down first in crockpot. Throw in a couple peeled garlic cloves and about a teaspoon of Garam Masala sprinkled over all that.

Now add the pork. If you're not lazy like me, most of the time, you could brown them up first for a little added flavor.

Mix together one 15.5 oz. can diced tomatoes with peppers, a couple tablespoons of the Vindaloo paste (depends how spicy you like things) and about half a beer of your choice. Dark beers are wonderful for adding flavors, a Porter is a good choice, but you can also use the LC beers here if you want. Pour this mixture over the pork cubes, turn crockpot on Low and let cook 6 to 8 hours. Check for tenderness of pork.

Serve with riced cauliflower, or if you eat it, quinoa is a wonderful side for this.

Croton130 03-29-2014 04:15 AM

I have to try Charski's "cheat" Vindaloo! I have only made it from scratch and it takes a bit of time, so I rarely indulge in this treat. I usually make it with lamb or beef.

On the side I like an Indian cauliflower with ginger and some smoked eggplant with herbs.

penguinpower 03-29-2014 10:13 AM

Quote:

Paneer by Manjula, Indian Vegetarian Cooking
Thanks Char! I had looked online before but saw so many recipes, I appreciate you pointing out a tried-and-true one. Very interesting lady, I will be checking out her other videos.

Charski 03-29-2014 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Croton130 (Post 16854790)
I have to try Charski's "cheat" Vindaloo! I have only made it from scratch and it takes a bit of time, so I rarely indulge in this treat. I usually make it with lamb or beef.

On the side I like an Indian cauliflower with ginger and some smoked eggplant with herbs.

That Patak's is pretty good stuff - they have a lot of different pastes. Makes a quick shortcut way to have Indian food without spending hours in the kitchen. Crockpot, meat, sauce, yeah!

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinpower (Post 16855083)
Thanks Char! I had looked online before but saw so many recipes, I appreciate you pointing out a tried-and-true one. Very interesting lady, I will be checking out her other videos.

I hope you'll try it! I found it worked out well and have made it several times.

This last time though, I found another recipe online which called for citric acid. Since I ALWAYS have that in the house, I tried it. Worked just as well! :)