Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Please help me make Pecan Praline Ice Cream (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/826497-please-help-me-make-pecan-praline-ice-cream.html)

JHoberer 03-24-2014 09:53 PM

Please help me make Pecan Praline Ice Cream

I love high fat- heavy cream is my friend! Almond or coconut milk is okay too but I want the result high fat

I will not use any sugar alcohol except erythritol. I have Truvia, Swerve, powdered Swerve, a ton of DaVinci syrups including Caramel, English Toffee and Vanilla, Vanilla Stevia drops, EZ-Sweetz, usually erythritol but I think I'm out, powdered erythritol, blackstrap molasses.

I do not mind working for this. The recipe can be quick or lengthy. I want an excellent result that has 5 net carbs or less for at least 3/4 cup.

I have a small Cuisinart no ice, freeze the bowl type ice cream maker so make the recipe on the small side.

I don't mind buying something I don't have if need be.

I don't want it to freeze rock hard.

I don't want "butter pecan"- I want the cripsy-ish candy coated pecan type "Praline Pecan". My only idea is to flavor a vanilla ice cream with browned butter, have a caramel swirl somehow? and toss in or on top candy coated? pecans.

Please help me! :aprayer:

Soobee 03-25-2014 04:34 AM

Here's what I have in my files. Will any of these recipes do?
Butter Pecan Ice Cream Maria
1/3 cup chopped pecans
1 TBS coconut oil or butter
5 egg yolks
1 cup Chicory Root ("Just Like Sugar" brand)
1 tsp. stevia glycerite
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
1 tsp. Celtic sea salt
In a small skillet over medium heat, saute pecans in coconut oil or butter until lightly browned, stirring frequently. Set aside. In a medium saucepan place the egg yolks and sweeteners in to mix on high with a hand mixer. Whip yolks until light in color and double in size. Stir in the whipping cream. Place the saucepan onto medium heat on the stove and cook, stirring constantly. Stir until thickened into a custard. Remove from heat and stir in the almond milk and salt. Let cool completely (I cooled overnight...it was hard to wait!). Place into your ice cream machine. Towards the end drop in the pecan pieces. Freeze until set.
Pecan Pie Ice Cream Satisfying Eats
1 cup heavy whipping cream (without Carrageenan)
2 cups half and half
1/2 tbsp pure vanilla extract
1/8 to 1/4 tsp KAL® Pure Stevia or sweetener of choice (to taste)
In large bowl, whisk all ingredients well. Taste for sweetness and adjust if needed. Pour mixture into ice cream machine and follow directions for ice cream maker. While ice cream is churning, prepare Candied Pecans. During the last 5 minutes, add most of the candied pecans (see recipe below) to the ice cream, reserving some for a garnish.
Candied Pecans Satisfying Eats
1/2 tbsp salted butter
1/2 cup pecan halves
1/2 tsp molasses or sf honey
2 servings KAL® Pure Stevia (to taste) or sweetener of choice
In a small frying pan over med-low heat, add butter and pecans. Toast nuts about 3-5 minutes, stirring often. Turn heat down to low and add molasses. Stir well to coat all pecans. Add Stevia and stir well until evenly coated. Taste for sweetness and add more sweetener if desired. Allow to cool completely on parchment paper.
Dulce De Leche Ice Cream with Salted Pecans Carolyn
¾ cup pecans, roughly chopped
1 tbsp butter, melted
½ tsp salt
2 cups Low Carb Dulce De Leche
2 cups heavy cream
3 tbsp vodka (optional, but helps consistency)
1 tsp vanilla extract
¼ tsp stevia extract
¼ tsp xanthan gum
Preheat oven to 325F and combine chopped pecans, butter and salt in a baking dish, tossing to mix thoroughly. Bake 10 to 15 minutes, tossing ever 5 minutes, until golden brown. Let cool in pan. In a large bowl, whisk together dulce de leche, heavy cream, vodka, vanilla and stevia extract. Sprinkle with xanthan gum and whisk quickly to combine. Chill 2 to 3 hours. Churn in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer's directions. Transfer to an airtight container, stir in salted pecans and press plastic wrap flush to the surface. Freeze until firm, about 2 more hours.
Dulce De Leche Carolyn
1 recipe Low Carb Sweetened Condensed Milk
2 tsp. molasses (optional but helps browning)
Pinch kosher salt
Preheat oven to 425F. Pour Low Carb Sweetened Condensed Milk into a glass or ceramic baking dish. Stir in molasses and sprinkle with kosher salt.
Cover tightly with foil. Place baking dish in a larger casserole or roasting pan and fill with water to 3/4 of the way up sides of baking dish. Bake 1½ to 2 hours, checking on it every or until condensed milk has taken on a caramel color and a rich, caramel flavor. Whisk until smooth, let cool, then transfer to a glass or ceramic container and store in fridge.
Sweetened Condensed Milk Carolyn
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup Swerve Sweetener or granulated erythritol
1 tbsp. butter
1/8 tsp. xanthan gum
1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
15 drops stevia extract
In a medium heavy saucepan, combine cream, milk and erythritol over medium heat. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer gently for 1 1/2 hours, stirring frequently, until mixture is reduce by half. (No matter how often you stir, thick bits of milk will form on the sides. Leave it there, and try not to disturb it when stirring, or you will get chunky bits in your condensed milk). Add butter and let melt, then briskly whisk in xanthan gum. Let mixture cool to room temperature and stir in vanilla and stevia extracts and bake for 18 to 20 minutes, until mixture is bubbly and beginning to brown.

Angeloco 03-25-2014 04:51 AM

Jen,
This is a tweaked version of Locarb mans recipe below I have been making once a week for years now. I have experimented with all kinds of additions with great results. My husband is an ice cream freak and this is the version he likes best. I prefer 3 cups hwc which really makes it creamy. Locarbmans original recipe used 2 cups hwc and 1 cup sf syrup. I have a lot of davinci syrups and have tried many of them with good results, including salted Carmel. Some of my extra additions include: nuts, fruit, chocoperfection bars, Atkins bars, homemade low carb cookie dough. I think you could make some kind of a praline to drop in during the last 5-10 minutes of mixing in the ice cream maker. I have the same size/type ice cream maker you have. I've always used the vodka since I heard of it keeping the ice cream scoopable years ago but you might be able to drop it out because the glycerin seems to do the same thing. Also, I did not like using the lecithin. Very messy and I didn't like the mouth feel. But I also used the liquid not the capsules like he suggested. Might have to try that some time.

Anyway, this might give you somewhere to start. Good luck. And thank you for your ka pasta recipe. Love it. :)

2 cups half and half - 20.8 carbs
1 cup hwc - 6.6 carbs
3 egg yolks - .9 carbs (helps keep it scoopable)
2 T glycerin -24 (some don't count, I don't)[helps keep it scoopable]
2 T vodka- 0 (helps keep it scoopable)
1 t vanilla -.3 carbs
2 tiny scoops stevia-0
24 drops sucralose-0
Pinch salt*
1/4 t xanthum gum-0 (I've been leaving this out lately without a change in texture)

Use small ninja to blend all except xanthum. Quickly add xanthum and blend until smooth. Pour into ice cream maker for about 20 minutes. Then add choice of additions for final 5-10 minutes. Divide into 7 containers.

28.6 divided by 7 = 4.08 (does not include anything extra added)

Lowcarbmans recipe

Basic Sugar Free Syrup Ice Cream Recipe (1.5 quart):

2c Heavy Cream (13.2 carbs)
1c*DaVinci, Atkins, or Torani Sugar Free Syrup, choice of many flavors (0 carbs)
3c Sugar equivalent sweetener (3/4t*liquid Sucralose*0 carbs)
2T Vegetable*Glycerine*(0 carbs) [keeps ice cream spoonable from the freezer]
3T*Lecithin*Granules (1.5 carbs) [a fat emulsifier or 3 egg yolks (also fat emulsifiers) for a custard mix]
1/4t*Xanthan Gum*(0 carbs) [for a smoother texture]
1/8t Salt (0 carbs)

You may wish to add 1/3c pecan bits and 1/3c*SF*chocolate*chips or 1 cup of fruit to your ice cream. [I like to use DaVinci Blueberry SF Syrup with 1 cup frozen Blueberries ;-)]

I mix all ingredients in a 4 cup measuring cup with a hand mixer and freeze in my 2qt Cuisinart ice cream maker (more capacity than the 1.5qt model, no problem now with added ingredients causing ice cream to spill out of the freezer bowl ;-). I add nuts and chips, or fruit shortly after the freezing begins. Makes ~4 cups of ice cream that will be spoonable days later, right from the freezer...only 14.7 carbs...without the nuts, chips and fruit of course... ;-)

JHoberer 03-25-2014 01:15 PM

Angel, about how many drops of liquid stevia is 2 small scoops?

JHoberer 03-25-2014 02:50 PM

Darn...

"A very interesting study performed at Pantox Laboratories, San Diego, California, and reported in 2001 confirms just how glycerol is utilized in the body. The objective of this innovative group was to develop a strategy to promote a hypoglycemic state in the body that would cause cancer to starve. Most types of cancer can’t survive in a hypoglycemic host, and since most tissues of the body can make normal use of glycerol and many cancers can’t, glycerol might provide the perfect fuel to support the body during starvation of the disease. However, even after blocking the liver’s ability to convert glycerol into glucose, it was found that other specialized enzymes in peripheral tissues of the body could also transform glycerol into glucose for their own use, thus contributing this production to blood sugar, as well."

So... take a vote! For best results with minimal carbs, what would YOU do to make an ice cream scoopable? Ideas I've read about include...

glycerin/e? One expert says it might be lower carbs than sugar, one says certainly higher carbs... yikes!
vodka? up to 3 T per qt
lecithin (I don't have, don't know about)?
gelatin- 1 tsp per quart (usually sorbets and sherbets but undoubtedly low carb)
very high fat- heavy cream, egg yolks = check!
chill mixture very, very well prior to freezing- I can do this

and also...
a faster machine- one article recommends the pricey KitchenAid Pro Line Frozen Dessert Maker.

Charski 03-25-2014 04:13 PM

I've tried the vodka and didn't find it made an appreciable difference.

Lecithin (at least the one I had) is soy-based so that went out the window for me as I avoid unfermented soy whenever possible.

Personally, the thing I've found to work best is to just let the container soften on the counter for about 15 minutes.

I think the main reason commercial ice creams stay scoopable is because they're a higher air to mixture ratio. Makes me wonder if whipping some of the cream and then gently folding it in just prior to freezing would help?

JHoberer 03-25-2014 05:55 PM

Whipping the cream is a great idea! So smart!!! :shake: I have a 2 cup cream whipper so I think I'll just layer the whipped cream and the other blended mixture right in the ice cream maker!

Do you think a single teaspoon of glycerin would help any?

JHoberer 03-25-2014 06:14 PM

Soobee- I'm going to have to try that condensed milk recipe one day! I'm thinking some magic layer coconut bar cookies would be... magical! :laugh:

Angeloco 03-26-2014 03:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHoberer (Post 16850526)
Angel, about how many drops of liquid stevia is 2 small scoops?

I'm not sure. I just decided this mix was sweet enough for us with this combo of sweeteners. At one point I was also adding about 6 T of erythritol but decided it didn't need it.

I tried a lot of different recipes before I settled on this one. It is very creamy (all hwc), scoopable for long time, and easy. Mix it all in the ninja or blender, pour it in ice cream maker, and mix. Sometimes I put the ninja in frig for a few hours or overnight. That seems to make it even better.

As far as the scoopability ingredients go, I suppose you could leave out one at a time to see what happens. The lecithin was sooo messy. (Very sticky and hard to clean off the tablespoon.) He called for granules though so don't know how that would work. I always have eggs around so use them instead. The glycerin is controversial as far as carbs are concerned. I'll look for the thread where this was discussed. I decided at the time that I wouldn't count them. A little self serving. Lol. The vodka is probably the first thing I would try leaving out. In fact, I'll try that today when I make our weekly mix.

I divide ours into 7 one cup plastic containers for portion control. Works out great for us.

Angeloco 03-26-2014 04:53 AM

Lowcarbmans thoughts on glycerin are on the bottom of this thread.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post14199480

JHoberer 03-27-2014 11:02 PM

Well, I've formulated a trial recipe and I shall shop for ingredients on Saturday! Thanks for all the help!

Charski 03-28-2014 07:38 AM

Can't wait to hear all about it, Jen!

JHoberer 04-05-2014 01:30 PM

Wow! The pecan praline candy WORKED. It worked BRILLIANTLY!

I'm gobsmacked! :eek: I was always told only xylitol would work... not so! Swerve with a bit of molasses will too!

Now I only need a successful vanilla ice cream! :D It'll be tonight or tomorrow.

Here is a picture... I smashed up the pecans because I only wanted the candy for the ice cream... they'd be prettier if I had left the pecans as halves.

http://www.jenh.org/wp-content/uploa...d/pralines.jpg

Dirty Harriet 04-05-2014 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHoberer (Post 16864620)
Wow! The pecan praline candy WORKED. It worked BRILLIANTLY!

I'm gobsmacked! :eek: I was always told only xylitol would work... not so! Swerve with a bit of molasses will too!

Now I only need a successful vanilla ice cream! :D It'll be tonight or tomorrow.

Here is a picture... I smashed up the pecans because I only wanted the candy for the ice cream... they'd be prettier if I had left the pecans as halves.

http://www.jenh.org/wp-content/uploa...d/pralines.jpg

OMG!!!!!:jumpjoy::notwrthy: heavenly!!!!
A ripple of caramel with French vanilla ice cream and then this???:up::yummy:

Charski 04-05-2014 03:17 PM

That looks so good, I'd like to lick the screen, Jen! :up:

Yaz 04-05-2014 04:04 PM

Ooooh, that looks sooooooooo yummy!

JHoberer 04-05-2014 05:53 PM

It's in the ice cream maker!

And I accidentally hit upon the perfect recipe for a dairy-free condensed milk- quite different from the one listed earlier in this thread. The ice cream recipe prior to adding the cream and freezing it was a perfect condensed milk. I wonder if it'd be the same thickness without the glycerine? I imagine so... that's just for the texture of the ice cream and was only a tsp.

http://www.jenh.org/wp-content/uploads/hosted/maker.jpg

JHoberer 04-05-2014 06:35 PM

Complete Success! I put a square sandwich sized plastic container full to the brim into the deep freezer right away. We'll see how it freezes tomorrow but right now my husband and I are sharing the rest right out of the maker's bowl. :p:D

http://www.jenh.org/wp-content/uploads/hosted/ppic.jpg

Praline Pecans Topping
(Straight from the All Day I Dream About Food website- Pumpkin Praline Parfaits recipe)

1 cup Swerve Sweetener
1/4 cup whipping cream
1 tbsp butter
2 tsp molasses
pinch salt
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups pecan halves

Combine Swerve with the cream, butter, molasses and salt in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir constantly until Swerve dissolves and mixture boils. Continue to cook until mixture reaches 280F on a candy thermometer and just begins to darken. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla extract and let cool 5 minutes. Stir in pecans and mix vigorously, then pour onto a parchment lined baking pan. Let cool and harden.

Place pralines in a heavy-duty plastic ziploc bag. Crush with a heavy kitchen mallet until broken into small pieces.

Vanilla Ice Cream (loosely based on Angeloco's recipe)

1 stick browned butter, cooled to room temp
3 T SF Praline DaVinci syrup
3 egg yolks - .9 carbs
1 t glycerine- 8 carbs
2 t vanilla - .6 carbs
12 drops vanilla stevia
1/4 cup powdered Swerve
24 drops EZ-Sweetz
Pinch salt
2 cups heavy cream put into cream whipper (or whipped with a mixer) and chilled- 14 carbs

Put all ingredients except whipped cream in blender and blend until smooth. Pour 1/2 mixture into ice cream maker and top with half the whipped cream. Repeat layers. Run the ice cream maker until frozen.

Perfectly fits a 1 1/2 quart machine.

For Praline Pecan Ice Cream:
Top dishes of ice cream with praline pecan pieces (or put 1/3 recipe smashed pralines into the ice cream maker during the last minute of mixing).

Dirty Harriet 04-05-2014 09:49 PM

WE ALL SCREAM FOR ICE CREAM!!!

OMG yum!!!

Chocolate Rose 04-06-2014 08:29 AM

I've been hoping for a great ice cream recipe and yours looks amazing!! If just making vanilla ice cream, would you just use 1 stick of butter or would you still brown it or ...? I can hardly wait to crank up my Cuisinart. It's been sitting in the cupboard for way too long.

Angeloco 04-06-2014 11:11 AM

That looks and sounds delicious..

JHoberer 04-06-2014 04:06 PM

This recipe has a wonderful caramel or dulce de leche flavor. It'd be great with cookie dough bits too.

For vanilla, the only thing I would change would be the praline syrup to vanilla syrup. The browned butter adds so much amazing flavor!

One thing I would NOT do is try chocolate DaVinci syrup for chocolate ice cream... unless you really love tootsie rolls! I'd add cocoa and melted baker's chocolate and use vanilla syrup.

For strawberry, I'd puree some fresh strawberries, cook them down to half volume then add some strawberry DaVinci and vanilla extract. The blueberry DaVinci is quite good too, for more of a berry flavor.

For pina colada, I'd add pineapple DaVinci (maybe 5 T), some coconut extract (maybe 1 tsp) and add shredded unsweetened coconut at the end.

As for scoopability... I was able to get a spoonful of ice cream out of a solid frozen container from a deep freezer. I would say it is the minimum acceptable "softness" though. Could be improved. I'd definitely stick it on the counter for 10-15 minutes or zap it in the microwave for 15 seconds before trying to eat.

My storage container is 2.9 cups and my husband and I each had about 1/3 of a cup as well... so it makes roughly 3 3/4 cups of ice cream with the 1/3 batch of pralines mixed in. About 5 servings.

Chocolate Rose 04-06-2014 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHoberer (Post 16865968)
This recipe has a wonderful caramel or dulce de leche flavor. It'd be great with cookie dough bits too.

For vanilla, the only thing I would change would be the praline syrup to vanilla syrup. The browned butter adds so much amazing flavor!

One thing I would NOT do is try chocolate DaVinci syrup for chocolate ice cream... unless you really love tootsie rolls! I'd add cocoa and melted baker's chocolate and use vanilla syrup.

For strawberry, I'd puree some fresh strawberries, cook them down to half volume then add some strawberry DaVinci and vanilla extract. The blueberry DaVinci is quite good too, for more of a berry flavor.

For pina colada, I'd add pineapple DaVinci (maybe 5 T), some coconut extract (maybe 1 tsp) and add shredded unsweetened coconut at the end.

As for scoopability... I was able to get a spoonful of ice cream out of a solid frozen container from a deep freezer. I would say it is the minimum acceptable "softness" though. Could be improved. I'd definitely stick it on the counter for 10-15 minutes or zap it in the microwave for 15 seconds before trying to eat.

My storage container is 2.9 cups and my husband and I each had about 1/3 of a cup as well... so it makes roughly 3 3/4 cups of ice cream with the 1/3 batch of pralines mixed in. About 5 servings.

Thanks for all the great tips!! I'll definitely be trying this!