Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2014, 08:55 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cjack1
Dreamfields Pasta new labeling?

I noticed in the grocery store yesterday that the new boxes of dreamfields pasta no longer have the medallion showing the 5 carb per serving. I am thinking that they really can't substantiate that claim and took it off the boxes. I hope that is not the case, but it always seemed too good to be true.

Does anyone have any information on this?
cjack1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2014, 01:32 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Iwantlessofme
Stats: Well on my way to fantastic!!
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: Every single day, day in day out
I found an article online that says that they proved in 2011 that Dreamfields affected blood sugar the same way as regular pasta. I am not claiming I know if this is real or not. It is just an article I found which references a study that was done that is listed on the US National Library of Medicine site.

I did go to the site and looked at the graphs from the studies, all I can say is whoa, if this is indeed correct.

Mindy

Last edited by Iwantlessofme; 03-24-2014 at 01:35 PM..
Iwantlessofme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:20 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: The Chicken Lady
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic
WOE: High Fat Low Carb Diet
Start Date: July 5th 2008
I don't know any facts about Dreamfield pasta other than how it effects my own personal blood sugar. I'm diabetic and I always test my blood sugar 2 hours after a meal that includes any food that I'm not familiar with. This is to make sure that what I've eaten has not thrown my blood sugar too far off point. Dreamfield pasta gives me the same blood sugar reading as any other pasta.

That being said, I can eat a small serving of any pasta and the rise in my blood sugar is no more than it would be if I ate a plate of vegetables. If I ate a plate full of pasta then it would be a wild swing upwards. So I'm thinking that Dreamfield is able to get away with their claims of it not effecting blood sugar because of the small serving size that is being tested.

Last edited by The Chicken Lady; 03-25-2014 at 09:21 AM..
The Chicken Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:46 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Susan_C
Stats: 145/125/120
WOE: moderate carbs
I went to the Dreamfields Nutrition Facts page, and for a 2 oz (dry) serving size, they list the following carb counts:

Total Carbohydrate 41g
Dietary Fiber 5g
Soluble Fiber 3g
Insoluble Fiber 2g

On their home page, they are no longer promoting their pasta as low carb, but rather as good for "Healthy Carb Living". -The gist of the promo seems to be that it has lots of fiber, will keep you full and thus promote weight loss. Here's the whole blurb:

"Dreamfields "Healthy Carb Living" pasta helps you keep up with your healthy lifestyle. It never sacrifices the great taste and al dente texture of traditional pasta you crave. We guarantee it!

Dreamfields is made using durum wheat grown by over 1,000 American farmers. It is authentic pasta with 5 grams of dietary fiber per serving - 2.5 times more than traditional pasta. We also add a natural plant fiber called inulin that helps support better digestion. This patented blend of fiber and plant protein helps you feel full longer to help maintain your healthy weight goals."
Susan_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 02:07 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dunginhawk
it was always too good to be true. It tasted way too good. Protected carbs. come on.
dunginhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 02:19 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lioness0455
Stats: 256.5/170/125
Start Date: 1/3/07
When several of us tested our blood sugar a couple of years ago after eating Dreamsfield pasta, we discovered that the blood sugar rise can be quite delayed, up to 5 hours or even more, but it does rise. How much depends on how insulin resistant you actually are and how al la dente you cooked the pasta.
Lioness0455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:26 PM   #7
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
With normal pasta I have a spike within 2 hours. But with Dreamfield's my spike extends 5-6 hours. :-/
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote