Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Amish butter... (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/826348-amish-butter.html)

Chocolate Rose 03-22-2014 03:19 PM

Amish butter...

Has anyone tried this? I was at a local Albertson's and they had 2 lb rolls of Amish Butter. I went ahead and bought one since my Costco no longer carries Kerrygold butter and my bullet proof bone broth just isn't the same without Kerrygold. The woman who checked me out said she'd heard really good things about it, so I'm hopeful.

Ocean 03-22-2014 05:42 PM

I have not, but it sounds really good. I love homemade butter. I would imagine that it would be similar.

rosethorns 03-22-2014 07:04 PM

It sounds good. All of their cows are grass-fed so I would think you have a gold mine there.

Good for you.I will have to check out Albertsons.

Chocolate Rose 03-22-2014 07:55 PM

Great! Thanks, you guys!! Maybe I should go back and stock up!:)

sbarr 03-23-2014 09:04 AM

I buy Amish butter at my local food co-op.

If it's brighter yellow, this is supposed to indicate grass-fed, which I suspect you want for your BPC.

Is yours a brighter yellow?

Another source for Kerrygold is Trader Joe's, if you have one nearby.

Patience 03-23-2014 09:24 AM

I buy Kalona Supernatural butter and cream. That supply is from organic Amish or Mennonite farms. Sometimes I buy from Organic Valley. I also sometimes buy local grassfed products that are not certified organic but I know the farmers' practices. I've tried Kerrygold but I don't see that it is worth the further price premium.

Madmarsha 03-23-2014 09:31 AM

I have not and I am originally from a heavy Amish area (one county over from Lancaster Co., PA) so I would love having access to this. HOWEVER, still do some research. I just feel that as with the "organic" label, something labeled "Amish" still needs to undergo your personal vetting process to make sure you're getting what you think you're paying for.

sbarr 03-23-2014 09:31 AM

Patience - I wish I could get Kalona here. Lucky you. I love love love their cottage cheese. I asked my local food co-op, since they have the cottage cheese and sour cream, but no butter, their supplier doesn't have it.

AdeCafe 03-23-2014 10:44 AM

I am in food sales and i will tell you that some amish do buy butter from a distributor and repackage it as "amish" butter. I witnessed it for myself. I cant help but be totally annoyed by this. I am certain not all do this but i know for sure some do. They do the same with cheddar cheese.
just my 2 cents.

rosethorns 03-23-2014 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdeCafe (Post 16847544)
I am in food sales and i will tell you that some amish do buy butter from a distributor and repackage it as "amish" butter. I witnessed it for myself. I cant help but be totally annoyed by this. I am certain not all do this but i know for sure some do. They do the same with cheddar cheese.
just my 2 cents.

Thanks for telling us. That's very annoying.

Chocolate Rose 03-23-2014 06:18 PM

Thanks for all the great information! I'll have to look at my butter package again to see what it says. It's just a two pound roll of butter wrapped in something like butcher paper so there isn't a normal label. I'm too pooped to do it right now. I had been cooking my bone broth for two days and when I got home from work tonight I strained it and put it in a huge bowl to stick in the fridge to cool. It fell as I was putting it on the fridge shelf and went all over my kitchen floor. My dog LOVED it, though. I'm just sooooo bummed that my broth is no more What a MESS!! Anyway, I just finished cleaning everything up and will look later tonight or tomorrow at the info on the butter package.

Beeb 03-25-2014 06:49 AM

The Amish aren't as "pure" as we would be lead to believe! Their practices in several areas leave a lot to be desired!

I KNOW they color their butter with something, not sure what, but that bright yellow is NOT from the cow's milk itself.

Beware what you buy from the Amish! :eek:

Chocolate Rose 03-25-2014 07:05 PM

I checked the "label" on my butter and it just indicates the name of the dairy in Wisconsin. There is no indication of it being organic. It's a normal light colored yellow. It does taste great, though. I may continue using it until (if) Costco gets Kerrygold back in. The only other info on the package is the nutritional info.

Lioness0455 03-25-2014 08:55 PM

It's a hand-rolled butter from Alcam Creamery, a Wisconsin Dairy that has been in business for decades. I get mine at Macy's or Harmon's grocery store here in Utah. It's a very high-quality butter, and one of the very few butter brands that I don't react to.

Chocolate Rose 03-26-2014 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lioness0455 (Post 16850933)
It's a hand-rolled butter from Alcam Creamery, a Wisconsin Dairy that has been in business for decades. I get mine at Macy's or Harmon's grocery store here in Utah. It's a very high-quality butter, and one of the very few butter brands that I don't react to.

Thanks for the additional info. I feel better now. :)