Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2014, 12:01 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Einkorn-Almond Flour Pie Crust

I've been experimenting with the ancient form of wheat, Einkorn wheat. I have been introducing very small amounts to recipes that formerly had Carbquick in them. I'm liking the results I'm getting and particularly last nights experiment!

I tried a pie crust that came out SUPER good! this one's not "short" like cookie crust. I put a coconut cream filling into it and just made a little sweetened whipped cream for a couple servings (because I was out of whipping cream). But the crust held up to the moisture of coconut cream filling without getting soggy overnight in the fridge! I like Kevin's crust recipe, but honestly, I don't have to keep as many odd ingredients around anymore with this one. This crust has a very impressive net carb count to have 1/4 cup real flour in it, I think. And it sliced and lifted out of the pan without falling apart!

EINKORN-ALMOND FLOUR PIE CRUST

INGREDIENTS:

1 c. blanched almond flour (I use Honeyvillegrains)
1 tsp. erythritol (this sweetener is optional)
¼ c. Einkorn flour, unsifted (I order direct from Jovial Foods)
¼ c. oat fiber (do not substitute)
¼ tsp. salt
4 T. butter, unsalted (if using salted, omit salt above)
5 T. ice water

DIRECTIONS: Preheat oven to 350º. this recipe is for a single crust pie. Measure out the dry ingredients either into a bowl or your food processor. Stir/pulse to blend. Add the butter and with a fork cut in or pulse the butter until the mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Slowly add the water and stir with a fork or pulse until if will form a single ball of dough. Remove onto a sheet of parchment paper. Press out a bit with your hand. Place another sheet of parchment on top and roll out slightly larger than your pie plate. Carefully remove the top parchment. Invert the pie plate onto the dough, centering. Now lift everything, parchment, crust and plate and invert. The crust may begin to drop down into the pie plate on its own from gravity. Carefully remove the parchment and help the crust settle down into the pan gently. Press it down gently all around and on the bottom. Crimp the edge as you like. Prick it on the sides and bottom with a fork. Pop the pan into a preheated 350º oven for about 20-25 minutes, but check at 15. I you will be filling with a filling you must bake again, you don’t want to over brown your bottom crust or it will burn during second cooking. If filling with a chilled filling, you want it browned to completion as pictured above. Remove crust from oven when done and cool a bit before filling.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes a single crust pie, 8 servings. 1/8 of the crust contains:

130 calories
12.2 g fat
7.6 g carbs, 4.1 g fiber, 3.5 g NET CARBS
3.4 g protein
79 mg sodium
<10% RDA all other nutrients

Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2014, 12:23 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Drago
Stats: 336/280/235
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: Jan 2014
This is awesome! Keep up the experiments and development. I see a multimillion dollar low carb food conglomerate in your future. Good work!
Drago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 05:38 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

LOL I doubt that, Drago. I'm just not a business woman. Marketing and sales are just not my forté.

One added note on this pie crust recipe. Most of you cooks know to add the ice water SLOWY and work it in, as the instructions state. Grinds on almond flour can vary and absorb water differently. Add say 3 T. of the water and then the remaining 2T. of water very slowly, and only if really needed for a thick ball of dough that isn't too wet to handle.

I baked a double crusted blueberry pie this afternoon. It looks good, sliced beautifully and tasted great! I thickened it with glucomannan and have never used it in a pie before. Not certain the amount of gluc is set in stone. When baked and cooled, it seems just perfect, as seen in the pic. But you guys know how gluc can disappoint. It may get too firm overnight in the fridge. If it makes it through the night without getting to thick I'll post this pie tomorrow. If not, I'll need to back off the amount of gluc in the recipe before posting.

I pre-baked the bottom crust a bit before filling. Baked the final pie at 350 but the center didn't want to brown as fast as the edges. Here's a slice when it cooled off to room temperature:

I may divide my dough differently next time. I used a bit more on the bottom crust and the top crust, as a consequence, was thin enough the back wall of the pie, as you can see, pulled away from gravity pull when plated. Dividing the dough exactly into two parts might not have done this. Or I may need to increase the recipe volume a tad so the top crust will be thicker.

Hubby really likes this crust and the blueberry pie, too. Me, I'm not too crazy about blueberry pie. Frozen blueberries just don't have enough flavor IMO for pies. Maybe fresh would have had more flavor.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 06:46 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chickamomminy
Stats: 248/183/148
WOE: Atkins (modified)
Start Date: April 2009
Drooling! I have been craving pie for ages! Adding Einkorn flour to my ever growing wish list.
Chickamomminy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 09:07 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
Thanks, Peggy, for this! We were just talking this morning about how to make LC pot pie and I was lamenting that I don't have a really good crust in my arsenal. Last week I was looking at the einkhorn flour in the health food store and trying to decide how I might use it--so here it is! Off to the store to get some today and try the blueberry pie. BTW, TJ's frozen wild boreal blueberries have an astoundingly wonderful, intense blueberry flavor!

oh, and I visited your website and saw the beef pot pie recipe--am going to use this crust and your suggestions to make the chicken pot pie.

Last edited by dianafoot; 03-22-2014 at 09:08 AM..
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 11:06 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sadly, no TJ's where I live. Nearest one is an hour away. They're not widespread in Texas yet.
Old 03-23-2014, 05:05 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Brendajm
Stats: 130/122/117
WOE: was atkins, now maintenance
Start Date: march, 2004
That looks soooo good. I have never attempted a pie crust in my life. Not even regular carb. But this is tempting me. I would want some cherries.
Brendajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 11:48 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Mmm. Cherry sounds good.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:10 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jakelilydad
WOE: low carbs
Start Date: Feb 2012
I've been craving a flaky crust since I started LC... Nut crusts are fine for some things, but other dishes just cry out for a "real" pie crust. Can't wait to try this one. Thanks for posting.
Jakelilydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 02:13 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
I posted over on your website, Peggy, but wanted to tell folks here, too, how good this pie crust is. Just that little bit of Einkorn flour in the dough makes all the difference--it is the best low carb pie crust I have ever had! I used it on quiche and am still going to try the chicken pot pie and also make blueberry pie with it. Thanks!
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 05:35 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Hi Peggy,
Have you made anything else with the Einkorn flour?

I ordered a 2lb bag, but I didn't realize that 2lbs really isn't very much...
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 01:31 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Nigel, just type Einkorn in the search box on my site and what I've tested it in will come up. Only done about 6 things with it. Biscuits, this crust, my dumplings and a few other things. I'm loving what a mere 1-2 T. brings to recipes though.
Old 05-02-2014, 01:32 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

So glad you liked the crust, Diana. Nice taste and texture that one has. I haven't made any pies since this one. REally got to get back to Induction again and can't do much baking right now.
Old 05-03-2014, 12:41 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Wow Peggy, this crust looks amazing!
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 01:44 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Give it a try, Terry. It has a very nice flavor and flake to it.
Old 05-05-2014, 04:13 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Thank you Peggy. I keep forgetting about your site, but I will check it out. Love the pics too!!
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote