Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2014, 03:03 PM   #31
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Yeah, I went and read the reviews on it, Jen. I'm thinking the opposite - it seldom gets THAT hot here, but it would be nice to have it when it's a bit cold outside to sit and babysit the Brinkmann - I could just set this on my side table of my grill, which is on our covered back porch, plug it in and let 'er rip.

WHEN you get a chance - could you give me the dimensions of the inner liner? I'm wondering if it would fit my current roaster oven without having to buy the whole nine yards again - if so I am gonna contact Oster and see if that can be bought as a separate part!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2014, 03:04 PM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Croton130
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHoberer View Post
Roger, so what DID you do wrong with that first brisket?
Ha! I don't remember every error, but my big mistake was that I relied on things I read and tried to time it perfectly at so many minutes per pound, etc., to be ready when guests arrived on a holiday weekend. Stayed up all night, tended the smoker, and was rewarded with a piece of rubber! Our guests has burgers and dogs, but by the next morning it was, however, perfect and delicious.

I now know that each piece of meat is different and two briskets that look the same can - and usually do - take different amounts of time to become delicious. My current technique is described in a post on "Crockpot Corned Beef" from last week.

I usually smoke brisket, pastrami, chicken breast, salmon, arctic char, trout and - believe it or not - hot dogs. Some sausage as well.

I can't wait to hear how your turkey turns out! Bet it will be great.
Croton130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 03:18 PM   #33
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nelle Belle
Quote:

Oster Smoker Roaster- on Amazon it got really excellent reviews
I have this smoker. Works well. I also discovered I really don't like smoked meat. I still use it without the wood chips in Florida so I don't heat up the house. My next experiment with it is to stuff basil and other herbs in the chip holder when cooking chicken. I really like how chicken comes out.
Nelle Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 03:20 PM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JHoberer
Stats: 283/177.0/170, 5'10.5", 38
WOE: 1/08: Atkins, 8/11: HCG, 7/12: JUDDD, 10/12: HCG
Charski- I'm thinking you can't because something in the corners like inner coils burns the wood... but you can sure try, I might be wrong and there might not be any difference in how the 2 roaster parts heat.

It says do not use under any overlying roof- pshaw! There isn't enough smoke coming out. Of course, I haven't yet lifted the lid once!

Roger- And how, may I ask- did you turn a hunk of rubber into delicious meat the next day??

Have you guys ever tried to make a Portuguese pork sausage called linguica? It's my next thing. I have the KitchenAid sausage attachments and I could stuff the sausage into rings but I don't really think I'd care if I just made ground up sausage to cook like hamburger or in patties. I dunno. But can you smoke ground sausage patties without casings?

What a neat idea Nelle- herbs!

Jen

Last edited by JHoberer; 03-20-2014 at 03:22 PM..
JHoberer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 03:29 PM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Roger- And how, may I ask- did you turn a hunk of rubber into delicious meat the next day??

It was just a matter of time! That particular brisket needed a huge amount of time (at 200 degrees) to get itself ready to be scarfed down. All's well that ended well, and I learned a lot from doing it - and drank inordinate amounts of beer!

I have since learned that brisket, apparently unique to smoked meats, has a hiatus while it is smoking low and slow. It will stay the same temp for an unpredictable amount of time and then resume its path to wonderfulness!
Old 03-20-2014, 03:33 PM   #36
Gadget Gal

This is why I use a probe thermometer with a digital readout that sits on the counter - the probe hooks to it via a cable. That way I can get an exact measurement of the temp and I don't pull the meat before it hits 185* or 190* (for brisket) - and then let it rest at least 30 minutes before cutting, or it just wants to pull apart/shred.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:40 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

I do need one of those thermometers... do you have a particular one to recommend?

Roger- I didn't realize you CONTINUED SMOKING IT! I thought you tossed it in the fridge and the next day it was magical- like a lot of LC baked good and pastas are.

Last edited by JHoberer; 03-20-2014 at 03:41 PM..
Old 03-20-2014, 03:43 PM   #38
Gadget Gal

Jen, I have the Taylor 1470. Amazon sells them for under $17.

In fact - I have TWO!
Old 03-20-2014, 04:47 PM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Back in the day when I did my rubberized brisket, I was not in the 20th Century, so no remote probe thermometer! Now of course, I use my finger!
Old 03-20-2014, 05:24 PM   #40
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ljguitar
Stats: 350++/under 240/wherever 30 net carbs a day leads
WOE: 30 net carbs a day or less...unclean eating
Start Date: August 2008
Quote:
I do need one of those thermometers... do you have a particular one to recommend?

Roger- I didn't realize you CONTINUED SMOKING IT! I thought you tossed it in the fridge and the next day it was magical- like a lot of LC baked good and pastas are.
Hi JH...

For casual smoking you don't need 'serious' probes. Just get the inexpensive Amazon ones. One like this is less than $6.

For serious smoking, I have a wireless one which measures temp of the smoker itself, and temp of whichever Pork Butt (Brisket etc) that I insert it into. Then I can monitor it from the house. The smoker has an internal wireless unit too, and I can turn the heat up/down from the kitchen.

These are a bit pricey ($43)

And this is like my smoker…Masterbuilt 30" Electric front loading…(electric)

I'm not trying to compete for most gadgets. My smoker was my graduation gift (retirement) from my wife.

…The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese…

Last edited by ljguitar; 03-20-2014 at 05:28 PM.. Reason: added a picture
ljguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 06:55 PM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Niiiice Larry!

Okay... here's my bird. My husband ended up getting home a bit late and I wanted him to be there for the unveiling so it ended up smoking at 250 for 7 hours.

At first I thought it was really burned. Actually, it wasn't at all. Very black in some spots, though! Brisket comes out black- is this typical looking or a smoked turkey? It was a bit overcooked (wings were inedible) but it was delicious! Great smoky flavor! Just the right saltiness! Great spice combo! Good thing because we ended up with unexpected company for dinner!!

I now have a huge bag of chopped turkey in my freezer and a bowl of turkey salad (the mushy kind!) in my fridge for lunch tomorrow.

So- take a vote- next time reduce time by an hour or reduce temp by 25 degrees?

16 3/4 x 11 1/3 inches was the bottom of the insert... so doesn't include the rim on top.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:59 PM   #42
Gadget Gal

Wow, that's pretty well-done! But glad it was good!

If it was ME - I'd reduce the heat AND the cooking time. AND I'd get one of those thermometers that I mentioned above, snake the cord out between the lid of the smoker, and watch the temp - you can set an alarm for it too which is what I always do, and I set it for 10 degrees below where I want it to finish, then let it stand tented with foil for 30 minutes to equalize.

Now I want one of those things! DH is already "helping" me by telling me I should just sell the 22 quart roaster oven I have and buying that one instead!
Old 03-20-2014, 07:05 PM   #43
Gadget Gal

Jen, did you have to reload wood chips in it during that 7 hours? Just curious about the process!
Old 03-20-2014, 07:38 PM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Nope- 2/3 cup wood chips at the beginning was it!
Old 03-21-2014, 07:27 AM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Very nicely done! Next time I would do as Charski suggested and drop both the temp and time. Also, If you have time, brine the bird in a solution of your preference overnight. That often helps with Turkey's tendency to have dry breasts. After a few hours of smoke, you might also want to wrap in foil and then place in a Reynold's roasting bag even if you leave the bird in your smoker as a heat source. That will preserve a lot of moisture as well. Finally, until it is wrapped ini foil, you can consider periodic spraying of the bird with some compatible liquid. This will increase your smoke time, due to the drop in temp whenever you open the unit, but it often helps. Because I lose heat periodically when adding wood or charcoal to my offset smoker, that is when I spray.

A splendid first effort! Congratulations and welcome to the world of smoke. Delights await you.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:41 AM   #46
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ljguitar
Stats: 350++/under 240/wherever 30 net carbs a day leads
WOE: 30 net carbs a day or less...unclean eating
Start Date: August 2008
HI JH...

Great start to your delving into smoking.

ljguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:00 PM   #47
Gadget Gal

OK, Jen, this is ALL YOUR FAULT! I just ordered one of those Osters!

If I really like it and it will hold my sous vide stuff, I'll just sell my 22 quart roaster oven.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:16 PM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Thanks guys! I feel like I earned a badge! I leveled up!

I really want to try sausage next. Or brisket. I have a family recipe that is awesome, awesome, awesome but it is baked in the oven. My aunt smokes hers after baking it to get that black crust and it takes it from sublime to nectar of the Gods...

Charski- I am POSITIVE I have bought something on your advice!! Cooking is so much fun!
Old 03-21-2014, 11:03 PM   #49
Gadget Gal

It sure is, Jen. I think DH is nearly as excited as I am about the possibilities with this little device - smoked Oysters Rockefeller, anyone?
Old 03-22-2014, 03:49 AM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Hey Jen,

If you want to try a brisket, I posted my method here in one of my replies: Crock Pot Brisket????

You might find parts of that useful.

roger
Old 03-22-2014, 04:54 AM   #51
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
Quote:

Oster Smoker Roaster- on Amazon it got really excellent reviews
Now I'm curious if you could do that in a crockpot, just put the soaked chips in the bottom then put a double layer of foil or a rack over that then the meat.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 12:03 PM   #52
Gadget Gal

Gah, Dottie - that was a buzzkill since I just ordered the dang thing!

Might be interesting to try that though and see what happens.
Old 03-22-2014, 01:10 PM   #53
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
lol sorry Char I looked at it but I really don't have room for more kitchen gadgets! It looks like a crockpot with an insert
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 01:54 PM   #54
Gadget Gal

Me neither, Dottie. In fact the rule is "one new thing in, one old thing out" - so if this works as I hope it will, not only for smoking but for using as my sous vide vessel, then I'll just sell the 22 quart roaster oven I have on Craigslist!
Old 03-22-2014, 07:12 PM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gofigr
Stats: 233/197/160
WOE: <20 carb
Start Date: Summer 2013
Roger, I feel like an idjut, I've always known that pastrami was smoked corned beef but never thought to smoke one. I'm all over this, thanks.

Harry
gofigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 08:06 PM   #56
Senior LCF Member

Buzz kill...

I am doubtful... the wood chips were completely ash when I looked in on the turkey. There aren't any heating elements on the sides of a crock pot and certainly SOMETHING wet would drizzle down into the wood if it was on the bottom... and does wood require oxygen to smoke or just flame? I would think so...

A roaster might operate differently though. I've never used one or seen one used. There might be coils up in the sides?
Old 03-23-2014, 02:46 AM   #57
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofigr View Post
Roger, I feel like an idjut, I've always known that pastrami was smoked corned beef but never thought to smoke one. I'm all over this, thanks.

Harry
Harry,

A couple of "Pastrami Pointers". Even assuming you are using a store bought corned beef, and not starting with a plain brisket and corning it yourself, pastrami is a multi-day process - and worth every minute.

First the corned beef has to be soaked in several changes of water to remove some of the salt. Then it has to dry for a while, then a dry rub goes on. You might think that the next step - the actual smoke - is the end, but there is more. The smoked meat should be wrapped and cooled at least overnight and then FINALLY it gets steamed!

Then you will have a delicious piece of pastrami!!

roger
Old 03-23-2014, 06:03 AM   #58
Senior LCF Member

P.S.: Forgot to mention that the dry rub stays on for a day or so before the smoke!
Old 03-23-2014, 09:25 AM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gofigr
Stats: 233/197/160
WOE: <20 carb
Start Date: Summer 2013
Thanks Roger, Yes, I am using store bought corned flats. Your tips are pure gold, have been recorded and will be followed. This is gonna be fun!!!

Harry
gofigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 03:09 PM   #60
Gadget Gal

Hmmm, interesting steps you take, Roger. We've done multiple pastramis and we've never soaked the corned beef - I DO rinse it first, then liberally apply the dry rub and let sit overnight (in the fridge of course!) before we smoke it.

As always, we run one heat (charcoal and soaked oak that has been debarked and split down into about 2" square x 12" long pieces) which takes about 3 hours at right around 200*.

Then I take the almost-pastrami, put into a foil-lined baking pan, stick my digital thermometer with the countertop readout into it, cover tightly with foil, and stick it in a 300* oven til the temp registers 185*. Remove, let cool to about room temp, take out of the foil, pat off any liquid, and refrigerate overnight, usually in a big ziploc baggie. The next day I slice it very thinly and it's so delicious!

Different ways to get to the same end!