Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2014, 10:10 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2010
Crock Pot Brisket????

I have never cooked Brisket in my life. It was on sale for $1.99 pound today and I bought a huge 12 pound monster!

I am going to cut it up probably in 3 pieces to make it more manageable. Working with 4 lbs will be way easier than working with all 12 pounds.

Any tips for cooking this in the crock pot?

Thanks
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2014, 10:18 AM   #2
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Season well on all sides with whatever you like - I usually do garlic salt and pepper, some chile powder (I like ancho or chipotle), a little onion powder, a little Worcestershire sauce. Rub in well.

Dice up an onion and put it in the bottom of the crockpot. Add a couple bay leaves if you like. Put the meat on top. Pour in liquid to barely cover. I prefer beer, but you can use chicken or beef stock, wine, anything flavorful.

Put on Low and let cook til the meat is very tender, at least 8 hours, then test. Let it cool at least 20 minutes before you try to slice it or it will just shred apart.

I also use brisket to make ground beef. I use a KitchenAid grinder attachment on my stand mixer. I usually add some cooked bacon fat too, unless there is enough fat on the brisket you bought to keep the meat moist. I'd sure love to find one at that price!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 02:31 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Doing It Right
I make it like Charski, but love to add a little liquid smoke also, yummy!
Doing It Right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 02:46 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ok Thanks! I don't have any liquid smoke. I do have smoked paprika that I was planning to use on it.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:59 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Croton130
If you have 12 pounds you probably got both the first and second cuts. You might want to sear the piece you are cooking before putting it in the crock pot. I think it adds a lot to the flavor for free.

If you can, you should definitely try to smoke your brisket, for you will have the best tasting meat you can imagine. It is a long, but easy process, too long to describe at the moment, but I will if you are interested.
Croton130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:51 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: millergirl1976
Stats: 166.6/146.8/135<- 28in waist
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Restart. 3/31/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croton130 View Post
If you have 12 pounds you probably got both the first and second cuts. You might want to sear the piece you are cooking before putting it in the crock pot. I think it adds a lot to the flavor for free.

If you can, you should definitely try to smoke your brisket, for you will have the best tasting meat you can imagine. It is a long, but easy process, too long to describe at the moment, but I will if you are interested.
I have a Traeger, and am dreaming of summertime. Please, when you have time, describe your process.

Charski, do you think submersion in liquid is a must? I feel like when I cook meat submersed in liquid that it leeches out the flavor, if that makes sense. If you have some liquid in the bottom to keep it moist, will that work?
millergirl1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 12:24 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by millergirl1976 View Post
I have a Traeger, and am dreaming of summertime. Please, when you have time, describe your process.

Charski, do you think submersion in liquid is a must? I feel like when I cook meat submersed in liquid that it leeches out the flavor, if that makes sense. If you have some liquid in the bottom to keep it moist, will that work?
OK Millergirl, if you insist . . . here goes. First, one has to accept that every piece of brisket - like every cow - is different and so times, temps, etc will vary. Many say that a flexible piece of meat will smoke better. I have no idea. I have smoked brisket at least 20 times by now, including the first time when the meat was not ready till the day AFTER our guests arrived and left, having eaten burgers and dogs instead of the promised barbeque!

Having said that, get yourself a complete brisket - first and second cut - sometimes called a packers cut, depending on where you live. Do NOT separate them and do NOT trim any fat; it will largely render off and what's left can be trimmed after it is cooked. This is a several day process, so plan ahead. You are not going to come home from work and eat this for dinner the night you start the process!

Make yourself a dry rub of spices you enjoy. I use various combinations of the following, depending on what I have on hand:

Ingredients:

Smoked paprika
Cumin
Salt
Splenda (in lieu of brown sugar)
Oregano
Black Pepper
Cayenne Pepper
Kosher or Sea Salt
Paprika
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder
Tumeric

Cut a cross hatch in the fat of your brisket, cutting just through the fat and to the meat. I know many recipes say to trim the fat to 1/4 inch but I do not. In my experience that results in a dry piece of meat.

Rub the brisket copiously with plain old yellow mustard. Don't worry, miraculously, your end product will not taste at all like mustard!

Then apply your dry rub generously, cover tightly with plastic wrap, and refrigerate at least overnight and up to 2 days.

On the day of the smoke, remove the brisket from the fridge and let it come to room temp - about 3 hours. Prepare a spray bottle with a mixture of apple juice and apple cider vinegar. I find that if I brush on the 'baste' the dry rub is brushed off . . . so I spray. I know the sugar in the juice is an issue, but I have no idea how much survives the smoking/baking and I have never seen a blood sugar spike in myself after eating this - but I increase my supplements when I am having smoked brisket for dinner, just in case. I use 30/70 juice and vinegar, but this is hardly etched in stone. None of this is so play with what feels right to you!

Prepare your smoker, and have sufficient wood on hand for about 6 to 8 hours of smoke, depending on the size of your brisket. I use a combination of hickory, beech and apple wood. But use what you like and/or what you have - it's all good.

Place the brisket in the smoker at about 3 or 4 in the afternoon, or whatever time will give you at least 6 hours of smoke before you go to sleep. In my experience, meat will not absorb appreciable flavor from smoke after the first 6 to 8 hours, so be guided accordingly in working out your timing. Maintain your smoker temp as low as you can in the 200 to 225 degree range, throughout your smoke. For the first 3 hours, spray the brisket with your juice/vinegar mixture and turn the meat every half hour or so - or whenever you have to open the smoker to add wood, whichever is the shorter time. You want to end up with the brisket fat side up at the end of the 3 hours.

When you are ready to go to sleep, remove your brisket from the smoker, give it a good spray on all sides with your juice/vinegar mixture and wrap it, fat side up, tightly in aluminum foil. Then place the brisket in a Reynold's roasting bag, the ones intended for a Turkey, and seal it tightly with the included cinch. Put it in a roasting pan, on a rack if available, and place in a 200 degree oven. [When I was younger and not worried about carbs I did this all on the smoker, stayed up all night and drank a lot of beer! . . . but alas that is no more]. By 9 or 10 in the morning, your brisket should be PERFECT. Remove it from the oven, let it rest, and you can slice it now or when ready to serve. If you are not having barbeque for breakfast, reheat later in a 300 degree oven and serve with your favorite low carb BBQ sauce [Mine is reduced sugar ketchup, Splenda in any form or other sweetener, cumin, lemon juice, black pepper, red pepper, chipotle chili powder and cider vinegar, simmered for about an hour, with all the juices from the Reynold's roasting bag added in].

To me this is heaven!

Slice across the grain and serve with your favorite sides. I usually have cucumber salad made with Splenda and perhaps some Fauxtato salad made with cauliflower or, perhaps, some cole slaw.

I have never worked the numbers but except for the Splenda, ketchup and apple juice, this is pretty much carb free, and as noted I am not sure how much of the sugar in the juice survives cooking.

Feel free to post any questions. If you get past this one we can talk about home made Pastrami!

roger

Last edited by Croton130; 03-07-2014 at 12:34 PM..
Old 03-07-2014, 12:48 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

P.S.: I usually saute some chopped onion and a clove of minced garlic before adding the rest of the ingredients to the barbeque sauce and simmering.

Last edited by Croton130; 03-07-2014 at 12:50 PM..
Old 03-07-2014, 01:28 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Roger. Oh my yum. Thank you for taking the time to type it out.

If I wanted to start it early in the morning, for dinner the same evening, how long minimum do you think it needs in the oven @ 200? I am thinking I would put it on the smoker about 5am- smoke it for 6 hours, put it in the oven around 11am, bake at 200 until 6 or 7p? Does it need that all-day rest?
Old 03-07-2014, 01:51 PM   #10
Gadget Gal

Quote:

I think for a very tough muscle cut like brisket, immersing it in good-flavored liquid really helps. I don't care if the top sticks out a bit, but I do like the liquid to come up to nearly the top if not over slightly. If you're using beer or something besides water, it will not leach out the flavor, I promise!

As for smoking, which we love, we do ours for a 3 hour heat at about 200* in our offset smoker, then we pull it (so as not to waste the fuel) and finish it in the crockpot (no liquid added in this instance!) or in the oven at 300* covered tightly with foil, til it's tender.

Any way you do it, it's good eats!
Old 03-07-2014, 02:04 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Hey Millergirl!

It all depends on the cut of meat itself. I have always been disappointed in my efforts when I try to time it out perfectly to eat at a certain time and then work backwards to figure when to put it in. Others have more success I am sure. Personally, I would just as soon do it the day before and reheat, as I have done successfully for a couple of school barbeques for the kids.

To me Charski's timing is a little scant on the smoke, but everyone has their own taste and smoking is all about doing what tastes good to you. Putting that aside, smoking, IMHO, is one of the best ways to create truly flavorful LC meats.

Last edited by Croton130; 03-07-2014 at 02:09 PM..
Old 03-07-2014, 02:38 PM   #12
Gadget Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croton130 View Post
To me Charski's timing is a little scant on the smoke, but everyone has their own taste and smoking is all about doing what tastes good to you. Putting that aside, smoking, IMHO, is one of the best ways to create truly flavorful LC meats.
In our experience, the meat doesn't really absorb much more smoke after the first 3 hours at 200* so we just pull it at that point. We've done it both ways - leave in the smoker for hours, or pull at 3 and finish cooking by another method, and both are truly delicious - but the shorter smoke/longer other method saves fuel for the smoker costs. If you have a less expensive fuel choice available, that might not matter much, but oakwood here is upwards of $350/cord so it's much less expensive to run the final heat on natural gas in the oven! Plus it doesn't require as much babysitting as the smoker does.
Old 03-07-2014, 02:59 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Millergirl -

Looking over your timing, it might just work. Might as well try so long as you have backup for dinner in case your brisket is still rubberized! All briskets go through a dormant stage while smoking, the temp doesn't change, etc. If you catch it wrong you will be miserable. It all depends on lots of things I can't begin to catalog.

Let me know how it all works out for you. Then we can smoke some Acrtic Char, Salmon, sausage, and a whole lot of other great stuff!
Old 03-07-2014, 03:01 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Couldn't agree more with Charski on fuel cost/time ratio.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:34 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks for all the tips!
My brisket is done! Its tasty but I have to say it tastes just like regular ol pot roast. LOL!
Nothing like restaurant style brisket. Its still tasty though so I'm not really disappointed.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:19 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Brendajm
Stats: 130/122/117
WOE: was atkins, now maintenance
Start Date: march, 2004
Which method did you go with ?
Brendajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:04 PM   #17
Gadget Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulipsandroses View Post
Thanks for all the tips!
My brisket is done! Its tasty but I have to say it tastes just like regular ol pot roast. LOL!
Nothing like restaurant style brisket. Its still tasty though so I'm not really disappointed.
Well - it's BEEF - not sure what you mean by "restaurant style brisket" - do you mean with BBQ sauce? Or how?

If you let it cool completely, then slice thinly, you can put some BBQ sauce on it and reheat - but I'm not really sure what exactly you're looking for!
Old 03-07-2014, 10:30 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendajm View Post
Which method did you go with ?
Charski's Method. Using beef stock.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:32 PM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
Well - it's BEEF - not sure what you mean by "restaurant style brisket" - do you mean with BBQ sauce? Or how?

If you let it cool completely, then slice thinly, you can put some BBQ sauce on it and reheat - but I'm not really sure what exactly you're looking for!
True. It is beef after all. LOL! I added some liquid smoke and smoked paprika so I guess I was expecting some kind of a smoky flavor. Its very good, so I am not complaining. I made some cauli tater salad to go with it and had a great dinner!
Old 03-08-2014, 01:10 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Roger and Charski, thank you both so much for answering my questions! I really appreciate it. I cant wait for summer time! Roger, I dont know why smoking salmon has never occurred to me. I love, love, love salmon, any way. I am going to hold you to that!
Old 03-08-2014, 02:34 PM   #21
Gadget Gal

We're having Dad-smoked salmon for dinner!
Old 03-08-2014, 02:36 PM   #22
Gadget Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulipsandroses View Post
Charski's Method. Using beef stock.
So are you expecting to get a flavor as if it had been smoked? (NOT being snarky, just wondering what you'd like to end up with here! )

You can do that in the oven - rub the brisket all over with liquid smoke, sprinkle with garlic salt and pepper, some smoked paprika if you have it; put in a foil-lined pan and cover tightly with foil - poke it into a 300* oven and let it go til the internal temp of the meat is about 175*, then uncover and let it brown up. That will be CLOSER but you'll really have to run it in a smoker if you want that restaurant-quality, sliced brisket with a smoke ring and BBQ sauce on it!
Old 03-08-2014, 06:17 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Roger and Charski, thank you both so much for answering my questions! I really appreciate it. I cant wait for summer time! Roger, I dont know why smoking salmon has never occurred to me. I love, love, love salmon, any way. I am going to hold you to that!
Any time Millergirl! When you smoke salmon at home it really comes out more like what Jewish appetizing stores in NYC call "baked" salmon....utterly delicious. It is another simple process that takes some time but is worth the effort. Let me know when you are ready to give it a try.

roger
Old 03-08-2014, 06:19 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

P.S.: One of the easiest and tastiest things to smoke is a good old fashioned hot dog! They go fast, need no special prep, are carb free (at least Hebrew Nationals are) and are completely delicious and transformed by the smoke.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:25 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

By the way, because I use an offset charcoal/wood fired smoker, I prefer smoking in the winter when it is easier to maintain low temps in the smoker. I am not at all sure I could stick with LC eating if I didn't smoke. Just look at all the posts here looking for a new way to cook one protein or another. We'll talk!