Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2014, 09:12 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: leeloo
Stats: 222/197/140
WOE: Atkins/whole foods/KISS
Start Date: 1/15/2014 (this time)
Need a LC, vegetarian potluck dish - any ideas?

I'm going to an event where I know many of the people will be vegetarians/vegans, and I want to bring something that everyone (including me!) can eat. Something that can be served chilled or at room temp.

My go-to is usually devilled eggs, but they are a pain to transport so they won't work this time.
leeloo is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2014, 09:54 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
How about a great salad with nuts and a home-made olive oil based dressing? You could hard boil eggs and crumble them to sprinkle on top for people who eat eggs, but leave them on the side for vegans who don't.
Janknitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:34 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: grneyedldy
A crustless quiche for those that eat eggs. I love spinach and goat cheese. Looks pretty and transports well.

For vegans, maybe a veggie salad w/vinaigrette. You can get very creative broccoli, cauliflower, red peppers, etc.

Your favorite coleslaw. You could bring bacon crumbles to sprinkle on for those that like bacon.

Last edited by grneyedldy; 03-04-2014 at 11:35 AM..
grneyedldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:16 PM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: momacat
Vegetarian chili. This was served at a reception I went to a couple of weeks ago. It had tons of different vegetables in it. It did have some beans but you could either eliminate them or reduce the quantity of them. There was no meat in the chili but instead had pieces of vegetarian chicken. Served along side of the chili were bowls of grated cheese, chopped scallions and chopped up cilantro.
momacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:22 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/1/2010
Veggie pizza with almond/coconut flour crust...cream cheese and some dry ranch dressing mix or spices topped with veggies...or fruit pizza cream cheese and almond extract or vanilla and sweetener on a crust and topped with low carb fruit.
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 03:55 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Susan_C
Stats: 145/125/120
WOE: moderate carbs
Make a "pasta" salad with spaghetti squash. Just substitute cooked spaghetti squash for the pasta in your favorite pasta salad recipe. I like to make a greek style version with a garlic/lemon juice/olive oil/oregano dressing and kalamata olives, feta cheese, sun-dried tomatoes, green onions , cucumber and bell pepper as the mix-ins. It's great warm, cold or room temp.
Susan_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:33 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CaliOkieGal4now
Stats: 150/125/120 5'10''
WOE: Atkins & Power 90- All The Way!!!
Start Date: February 2003
This is Delicious, and not only Low-Carb, but Vegetarian AND Vegan
:

Vegan Eggplant Parmesan

Minutes to Prepare: 30
Minutes to Cook: 35
Number of Servings: 6

Ingredients
2 Eggplant @2 1/2 lb (1 kg) sliced 1/4" thick slices
Parmesean Cheese

TOMATO SAUCE
1 medium Onion chopped
2 cups Canned Tomatoes no salt added
3 cloves Garlic minced
1 tsp Oregano dried
1/2 tsp Basil dried
1/2 cup Vegetable Broth (Stock)
1/4 cup (2 tblspn) Tomato Paste
1/4 tsp ground Black Pepper

"CHEESE SAUCE"
1 cup Tofu, firm
3/4 cup Light/Sugar-free Soy Milk or Unsweetened Almond Milk
3/4 cup Vegetable Broth (Stock)
3 tblspn Cashew Butter (or Tahini)
1 1/2 tsp Onion Powder
2 tblspn Nutritional Yeast (I used Torula)
1/2 tsp Salt
1/8 tsp Pepper
1 tsp Xantan Gum ( for thickening)

Directions
If wished salt the eggplant slices, rinse and pat dry (I didn't and it didn't make a difference)

Prepare the Tomato Sauce by sauteing the onion until translucent add the rest of the ingredients and simmer for @15 minutes.

Meanwhile broil (grill) the eggplant slices, spraying with a little canola spray until browned on both sides.

Place all the "cheese sauce" ingredients into food processor and blend until combined. (It will be slightly runny).

Preheat the oven to 350 deg F (180 deg C) and assemble the dish as follows:

Spray dish lightly with canola spray and place half the eggplant slices in the bottom. Sprinkle generously with Parmesean Cheese, then use half of the tomato sauce finishing with half of the "cheese sauce". Repeat the process once more with the remaining ingredients finishing with the another generous layer of Parmesean Cheese.

Bake uncovered for 35 to 40 minutes until lightly browned. If wished sprinkle with chopped fresh basil leaves and oregano.

Serves 6

Number of Servings: 6
CaliOkieGal4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 02:43 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/164/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2010
Spinach Dip - Snacking on that right now as I type this. LOL!

I never measure anything so I don't have a recipe. I wanted a quick snack so scooped out a heaping spoon of sour cream, threw in some mozzarella, parmesan, dash of salt, a dash of HWC and chopped up some spinach and nuked. I like mine with pico de gallo on top, but I was too lazy to make any so just threw on some bottled salsa on top.

I fried up some Mama Lupe's Tortillas to go with it, but you could do pork rinds or veggies to dip for everyone or Regular Tortilla Chips for the Vegans.

Last edited by tulipsandroses; 03-06-2014 at 02:45 PM..
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:42 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Croton130
If you have access to an oven at the site of your event, I would make up a load of creamed spinach using whichever recipe you favor and place it in a shallow baking pan, sized according to how much you are making. When ready to eat, make the appropriate number of depressions in the spinach with the back of a large spoon. Crack an egg into each depression and bake at 400 for 10 to 12 minutes. Sprinkle with grated cheese and serve....delicious.
Croton130 is offline   Reply With Quote