Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2014, 08:31 AM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: penguinpower
WOE: Thinking of trying NK
YIKES - I was just reading over your post and realized I made an error in the time in the oven - it should be 65 minutes, not 55! Ovens vary of course. Mine is just an ordinary electric range, no convection, and is pretty accurate temp-wise.

Thanks for doing the nutritional info!
penguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2014, 09:12 AM   #32
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguinpower View Post
Hope you enjoy them as much as we do, Poot! I don't know if the egg white powder is the same as the protein - I guess it would be, if they are both 100% EW? I buy the huge cans of EW powder from Honeyville and am not a fan of the Jay Robb products, so can't compare.

Now I'm hungry - I think I'll go make up a batch of these!
Although I am a big fan of most Jay Robb products, I also buy the giant can of egg white powder from Honeyville. It has no weird taste at all.

And I will probably need to list it as an asset in my will as I may be expired before I use it up!
JMCM1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 01:55 PM   #33
Senior LCF Member

LOL - I know what you mean Judy! It seemed like the DebEl EW powder vanished overnight, but these big cans last and last - although I do go through it faster than I expected, since I use the EW powder for these rolls.

I did whip up a batch a little while ago. Here's a picture of them fresh out of the oven - look like a bunch of baked potatoes:

Cut open to show the innards:

Old 03-07-2014, 11:08 PM   #34
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Goodness gracious!
They look delicious!
Old 03-08-2014, 06:15 AM   #35
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Wow Penguin, those look incredibly delicious.

So one more question for you girls. I AM going to make these today. Do any of you have problems losing when including this bread, the pyslli tortillas and dumplings?
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:51 AM   #36
Senior LCF Member

I have trouble losing weight whether I eat these products or not, unfortunately.
Old 03-09-2014, 12:13 PM   #37
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Quote:
LOL - I know what you mean Judy! It seemed like the DebEl EW powder vanished overnight, but these big cans last and last - although I do go through it faster than I expected, since I use the EW powder for these rolls.

I did whip up a batch a little while ago. Here's a picture of them fresh out of the oven - look like a bunch of baked potatoes:

Cut open to show the innards:

Wow girl they look amazing!!
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 02:00 PM   #38
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Those DO look incredibly good!
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:55 PM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JHoberer
Stats: 283/177.0/170, 5'10.5", 38
WOE: 1/08: Atkins, 8/11: HCG, 7/12: JUDDD, 10/12: HCG
It is a sandwich sized roll... I cut leftover rolls into 3 slices to toast and put a flavored cream cheese on the next night- 3 servings each then.

A little mayo or mustard, lettuce, meats, cheeses... not many more carbs to add for a sizable lunch so I'm ok with 6 carbs... though I was thinking to myself last night that I need to reduce the amount of almond flour per roll. I'm thinking 1/2 BTF mix and half almond flour?

Awesome rolls Penguin!

Last edited by JHoberer; 03-10-2014 at 06:57 PM..
JHoberer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:23 PM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: frogg
Stats: 220/154/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2013
Quote:
I have trouble losing weight whether I eat these products or not, unfortunately.
frogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 11:43 AM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: majomor
Coconut flour version by penguin power of marias rolls

Quote:
Poot - I make the coconut flour version all the time, with the same great results Jen gets, except I only get five rolls since there's a lot less volume with the coconut flour. I also only use powdered egg whites. I am not sure about substituting the psyllium with oat fiber, never tried it. This is my tried-and-true version for the coconut flour with egg white powder rolls:

Maria's Sub Rolls, Coconut Flour Version slightly tweaked

2.5 oz. coconut flour
1.5 oz. psyllium husk powder (currently using Solgar and don't have to grind it more, but have had good results with others too)
.8 oz. egg white powder
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2.5 Tbs. vinegar
1-7/8 cups boiling water
2 Tbs. nutritional yeast (optional, but I like the smell and flavor)
Seasonings as desired

I put all the dry ingredients in my bowl and let the mixer slowly blend everything together and break up with egg white powder clumps while I boil the water. When the water is almost boiling I put in the vinegar, bring it to a full boil, ramp up the speed on the mixer and dump in all the liquid. It makes dough in about a minute. I roughly pull it apart into five blobs, put them on my silpat-lined baking sheet, and bake at 350 for 55 minutes. It doesn't seem to matter what shape I try to give them, they always just puff up into a sort of fat short sausage-roll shape. I have flattened the dough - they still puff up the same. I've never cut a slit in them. They come out a lighter brown than Jen's but have nice outer crustiness and interior airy texture.
Well I made these last night and they were great, fabulous ....I even added the nutritional yeast....I had a feeling they would work as the egg white powder takes out the failure of overising and dropping I always got with Marias bread....never consistent!......they were moist inside, but cooked so I was happy. Thank you Penguin, you are a godsend!
majomor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:45 AM   #42
Senior LCF Member

I'm so glad they worked for you majomor - if they were still moist inside, just bake a bit longer next time. I've been out of town for the past 10 days and really missed my "special" foods!
Old 04-17-2014, 06:41 AM   #43
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Ok, I'm making these today! Penguin's recipe with the egg white powder! I am out of nutritional yeast. I know they are different, but do you think regular yeast would add any flavor to the dough as a simple sub? I know it won't make it rise.
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:45 AM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Penguins bread with Egg white powder

just my 2 cents worth......I would stick with Penguins suggestion as I find it way more flavourful than actual yeast.....and it is not a bad ingredient to boot....no funny candida/yeast problems to deal with as it is deactivared and dead yeast! I used regular yeast in some other suggestions and I did not notice a huge difference......whereas I noticed the nutritional yeast flavour more positively.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:16 AM   #45
Senior LCF Member

What majomor said - I don't even keep regular yeast in the house anymore! But the yeast is totally optional, Pooti. It doesn't add TONS of flavor, just a bit, and a nice smell while they are baking lol.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:36 AM   #46
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Here are 2 more cents. Ginny Larsen has a LC GF "bread" she calls a cheese and wine bread that uses nutritional yeast and just a little red wine.
It smells so yeasty and good while it's cooking, and really tastes yeasty!
So - another vote for nutritional yeast here.

Pooti I don't know if you'd use any wine whatsoever because of BC - or the fact that the alcohol surely cooks out might make a difference?

But I have been wondering about that addition for additional flavor.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:28 AM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Where can we find this Ginny Larsen recipe please?
Old 04-18-2014, 09:01 AM   #48
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Her website is Ginny's Low Carb Kitchen and the recipe is called "Cheese and Wine Bread." I bet you could google it. She also has a recipe for a whole loaf instead of one serving - I've made that too and we loved it.
Can't believe I forgot about it until this thread.
Old 04-19-2014, 05:55 PM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Cheese and wine bread

Welll I went to ginny Larsen 's site and I made the cheese and wine bread in my bread sandwich machine and it was delish.....I ate both one with butter and the other alone.....I subbed oat flour for the almond flour to test for my friend who has a nut allergy and it was very bread like......then someone on Jennifer eloff suggested and tried substituting the eLupin flour for the Oat flour in Jennifers mix to bake her cheese loaf.....so now I am going to try both Ginnys cheese loaf with the Lupin flour and the Marsala wine ( which I did not have so I used extra dry vermouth in the cheese and wine bread) .
Old 04-19-2014, 06:23 PM   #50
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

OH! In my next life I'm going to just cook the recipes I want to cook right away as you did. Good for you!
As it is, I have a stack of recipes waiting...
Old 04-27-2014, 12:53 AM   #51
Senior LCF Member

Breads need a flavor solution

Quote:
What majomor said - I don't even keep regular yeast in the house anymore! But the yeast is totally optional, Pooti. It doesn't add TONS of flavor, just a bit, and a nice smell while they are baking lol.
Well I made these again and subbed the BTF mix for the coconut flour.......now that had a lot more flavor. Made a ham sandwich bun with sheeps cheddar cheese and butter.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:50 AM   #52
Senior LCF Member

Thanks majomor - I wanna try the BTF substitution next batch!
Old 04-27-2014, 09:30 AM   #53
Senior LCF Member

Marias buns with BTF

I neglected to mention that I have been using the BTF with the Lupin Flour at about 1/2cup of the 1& 1/2 cups mix says, and the pea protein powder instead of the whey protein (love the combination) like was suggested by Ouis and others.
I have not ventured to sub the lupin flour for 100% yet? I will sometime though!
Old 04-28-2014, 01:57 PM   #54
Senior LCF Member

I have BTF mixed up with whey powder. I don't understand what you mean about the lupin flour amount? I'd like to try that sometime since I've enjoyed the lupin flour in other recipes.

Anyway, I made the rolls today using the BTF I have on hand with the whey protein, and don't like the buns as much - the whey taste really came through very strong, which I find so odd since I don't notice it when I make my muffins with the BTF! The texture was a little different too, with much tougher crust. I wouldn't recommend these rolls with the original BTF ingredients, but I would like to try again with your lupin/pea protein tweaks.
Old 05-06-2014, 11:46 AM   #55
Senior LCF Member

improving on flavor to marias buns with egg white powder

Well Penguin, I am impressed......I made the same recipe with your tweaks, egg white powder, nutritional yeast, using the 100% lupin flour for the coconut flour and the pea protein powder, then adding in Yacon Syrup (to replace the Jhoberror suggestion for molasses) as it has a very low glycemic index.
Man, these buns came out a beautiful dark rye colour and so so much flavor.
I could not believe the taste difference toasted like a bagel and smeared with lots of butter....I like the taste finally! .......oh i added the yacon syrup to the white vinegar (yes I used white vinegar as I don't like the flavor of the apple cider for this type of bread.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:44 PM   #56
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by majomor View Post
Well Penguin, I am impressed......I made the same recipe with your tweaks, egg white powder, nutritional yeast, using the 100% lupin flour for the coconut flour and the pea protein powder, then adding in Yacon Syrup (to replace the Jhoberror suggestion for molasses) as it has a very low glycemic index.
Man, these buns came out a beautiful dark rye colour and so so much flavor.
I could not believe the taste difference toasted like a bagel and smeared with lots of butter....I like the taste finally! .......oh i added the yacon syrup to the white vinegar (yes I used white vinegar as I don't like the flavor of the apple cider for this type of bread.
I meant using the 100% Lupin flour in the BTF mix and the pea protein powder,then using that mix to sub for the coconut flour.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:11 PM   #57
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JHoberer
Stats: 283/177.0/170, 5'10.5", 38
WOE: 1/08: Atkins, 8/11: HCG, 7/12: JUDDD, 10/12: HCG
JHoberer is offline   Reply With Quote