Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2014, 06:08 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Croton130
My Best Chicken Ever?

I have been getting bored with chicken lately, so I decided to branch out. Dinner last night was an experiment gone right! Yes, I used 1T of regular flour, but as you will see, very little of it gets eaten by any one person. The recipe serves 4.

Ingredients:

4 skinless boneless chicken breasts (you know the half breasts you see in the supermarket - not cutlets, although you could do a rolatine kind of thing too))
4 oz. plain goat cheese, at room temperature
3T olive tapenade (whichever one you like)
4T finely minced parsley
salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper to taste
1T All purpose four (you could sub coconut or other flour but I was out)
1 egg beaten with some water

Preheat oven to 350.

Prepare your filling by mashing the cheese till it is soft and creamy, then mixing in the tapenade and parsley. Add salt, black pepper and cayenne to taste. Set aside.

Carefully butterfly the chicken breasts until they will open and lay fairly flat. Place between two sheets of wet plastic wrap and pound until thin and flat. With the cut side of the flattened breast facing up, liberally salt and pepper the breasts. Spread 1/4 of the filling along the seam of each breast to about 1/2 inch of the edge. Fold the chicken back to its original shape and tie closed with butchers twine. Salt and pepper the outside of the tied breasts.

Butter a casserole dish which will hold the four tied breasts. Heat some olive oil and butter (about 2T of each) in a pan which can hold 2 of the breasts at a time. Meanwhile beat the egg with about 1/4 C water and the flour to make a thin 'batter'. When the oil/butter is hot, quickly dip each breast in the 'batter' and brown in the oil. As each breast is browned, arrange it in the casserole.

When all the breasts are browned, place the casserole, uncovered, in the oven and bake for 20 - 30 minutes. Time will vary depending on how thin your chicken was pounded and how long you browned it. I had browned mine very well so, after about 20 minutes I ended up putting it back in for 5 more minutes at 375 and it was perfect. Moist, delicious.

The carb count, per each of the 4 servings is extremely low, even counting all of the 1T of flour, although about half of the batter was discarded and some of the flour was clumped up in that half. Worst case, each breast has about 1/8th T of flour on it.

Using one of the web sites that calculates nutritional values [last time I mentioned a specific web site I got yelled at by the Manager here] I came up with 2.9g total carbs per each stuffed breast.

I topped off dinner with a puree of broccoli, spinach and brown butter, which you can find by searching for "Jacques Peppin broccoli brown butter". I cheated and added a little cream!

This was one of the best and lowest carb dinners I have made. Try it and you will be happy.
Croton130 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2014, 10:16 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jakelilydad
WOE: low carbs
Start Date: Feb 2012
Sounds fantastic. I've stuffed chicken breasts with ricotta, diced roasted peppers, and sun-dried tomatoes, but I didn't batter mine. Hmmm. Sounds really good.
Jakelilydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 07:52 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Croton130
Thanks Jake.
Croton130 is offline   Reply With Quote