Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2014, 01:02 PM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/178.2/135 (11-Sept)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
Homemade cream cheese? Do you make your own?

Has anyone here ever made their own cream cheese?

My predicament - I've started cooking more with cream cheese, but it's expensive for organic, which costs 3-4 dollars a package.

So, I ended up on a search for other options.

1 gallon of raw milk will make 1 - 1.5 quarts of cream cheese which is the equivalent of 4-6 packages of cream cheese (assuming 8 ounces brick = 8 ounces homemade yield) and there's about a pint of whey which can be used for bread, other recipes.

@ $8 per gallon for raw milk, this would end up costing about $1.50 - $2 a brick (about half what I'm paying for organic cream cheese).

It looks so easy and would be a great way to have cream cheese with no additives, etc. I've also seen recipes where it can be made with pasteurized milk (which is considerably cheaper), but it looks like there's another step.

Any raw milk cream cheese makers out there?
Any pasteurized milk cream cheese makers?

Thanks in advance for your responses!

Sandra

What we weigh is the result of a meal, a day, a week, a month, a year of choices...

Psssst...Nothing tastes as good as ketosis feels!
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2014, 01:19 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ella5
What are your recipes?
Ella5
ella5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:29 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
I have a recipe from Carolyn, All Day I Dream About Food.
Homemade Cream Cheese Carolyn
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup half and half
1 cup whole milk
1 tsp. salt
3 tbsp. white vinegar
Line 2 medium sieves with cheesecloth or cotton tea towels and place over bowls. In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine cream, half and half, milk and salt. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to medium low and simmer gently. Stir in the vinegar and continue to simmer until cream mixture separates and curds appear and float to the top. Curds will begin to clump together. Remove from heat. Scoop out curds with a slotted spoon and divide between lined sieves. When you are getting to the bottom of the pan and it's hard to scoop them out, feel free to pour all of the mixture into the sieves. Let drain until whey is removed, at least 4 hours. This is faster if you divvy the curds up into two sieves, as opposed to one. You can also hang the cheesecloth/tea towels filled with curds to encourage it to drain faster. Once curds have the consistency of room temperature cream cheese, transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 02:00 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
I don't think you can make actual cream cheese with just milk. You can make yogurt then strain it to make yogurt cheese which may be similar to cream cheese in texture, but it's not the exact same thing. Cream cheese requires cream to make.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 02:13 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/178.2/135 (11-Sept)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
Soobee - looks interesting, have you made it, what is it like? Is it as dense? How much does this recipe make?

--

From what I'm reading from several sites, cream cheese can be made with whole raw milk, nothing else.

Here are a couple of sites - The first site that gave me inspiration is called Whole Life Nutrition - I don't want to link to it because it appears that some things are sold.

Whole Lifestyle Nutrition - with an article called: How to Make Organic Raw Cream Cheese

They shared examples with raw milk, pasteurized milk, etc.

The second site:

How to make Whey and Cream Cheese from Nourishing Traditions

This one was also interesting:

An Organic Wife: How to Make Cream Cheese

Last edited by sbarr; 02-07-2014 at 02:15 PM..
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 04:37 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
I have not made it, although I'd like to try just out of curiosity. If you google her blog, All Day I Cream About Food, she has pictures and a few recipe suggestions.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote