Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2014, 01:53 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Baddabing
Stats: 205.6/169.2/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/27/2014
Chicken stock Question

So I have been making whole chickens and keeping the carcases in the freezer to make stock which I have never done before. Well I usually cook on Sundays for the week and decided to start the stock but realized there is more than just chicken in it. I noticed all recipes have carrots. Will this be an induction level no no? I assume you dont consume the carrots but then I dont know what renders into the water etc.

Then if I wanted to make this stock into something more thicker later would there be a way to do it. Thanks and go broncos.

James

Survive
Baddabing is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2014, 02:04 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
I don't add carrots. IMO, anything goes when it comes to making broth. I never add veggies that aren't on my plan, others may. It all works.

I don't thicken it; it's gelatinous when chilled, liquid when hot. You can always add a bit of cream when about to eat it.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:00 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
I never put anything in mine but water, the chicken bones and any scraps, salt and pepper. I want my broth to taste like chicken. I can add veggies later to the dish I'll be using the broth in.
LindaSue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:18 AM   #4
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
I always add a bottle of LC beer or a splash of white wine to my stock. It helps flavor the broth more.

As for veggies, I usually halve (but don't peel) an onion, throw in some garlic cloves (you don't need to peel them either), a bay leaf, salt, pepper, a little thyme or oregano, and a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar. This would be for a 6 pot stockpot full of bones covered with liquid.

I also keep a bag in my freezer for leftover veggies and peels - then that can go in the stockpot too.

Bring it to a boil, then cut the heat way back and simmer for hours, til you can't stand it any more. The longer you simmer, the more of the good stuff it gets out of the bones.

Cool a bit, strain, refrigerate, skim the fat off the top if you want (I don't!) and put in containers and freeze.

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 12:37 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/212/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
All I put in mine is about 2tbso apple cider vinegar to bring out the nutrients in the bones. I also do some sea salt. That's it. The more veggies you add, the more carbs you add.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:20 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Love&Luck
Stats: (229) 181/168.5/140 5'4"
WOE: NK
Start Date: yep
I put lots of stuff in mine!

salt
peppercorns
1 onion cut in half
1 head of garlic cut in half
a few stalks of celery
2 or 3 carrots
a bunch of parsley

I let it simmer for about 4-6 hours and l strain it through cheesecloth and let it sit overnite in the fridge. Then I skim the fat off the top -- for whatever reason I like a more clear stock. If I've done it right though there is still a lot of gelatin in the stock.
Love&Luck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:51 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jakelilydad
WOE: low carbs
Start Date: Feb 2012
I usually put one or two roughly chopped carrots in, a few stalks of celery (cut into quarters), a quartered onion (with papery skins - adds color), some peppercorns, and a glug or so (2 Tbsp?) of cider vinegar. If I have some, I might add a chicken foot for extra gelatin. I try to let it cook in a crockpot for 24 hours, then chill and defat (I use the fat for cooking). But previous posters are right, you can do whatever you like - there is no one right way.
Jakelilydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:50 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sligh
Stats: 190/118/145
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 31, 2003
Well I thought I would add mine. This came from an article in Gourmet Magazine many years ago. I always feel like I've really done something special when I do it, even though it's pretty easy.

Chicken Stock

4 pound fowl
1 large onion stuck with 2 cloves
2 leeks, halved lengthwise
2 carrots
1 stalk celery, halved
2 teaspoons salt
Cheesecloth bag containing 6 sprigs parsley, ˝ teaspoon dried thyme, 1 garlic clove, unpeeled, and 1 bay leaf

In a kettle, combine the fowl and 12 cups cold water. Bring the water to a boil and skim the froth as it rises to the surface. Add ˝ cup cold water, bring the stock to a simmer and skim any froth.

Add the onion, the leeks, the carrots, the celery, the salt, and the cheesecloth bag and simmer the stock, skimming the froth, for 2 hours.

Remove the fowl from the kettle, remove the meat and skin from the carcass, and reserve the meat for another use.

Chop the carcass; return it and the skin to the kettle, and simmer the stock, adding boiling water to keep the ingredients barely covered, for 2 hours.

Strain the stock through a fine sieve into a bowls, pressing on the solids, and let it cool. Chill the stock. Makes about 6 cups.
sligh is offline   Reply With Quote