Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   That ice cream recipe... (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/821888-ice-cream-recipe.html)

MarcyDarcy 01-30-2014 02:20 PM

That ice cream recipe...

I've lost an ice cream recipe that was out of this world :sad: As far as ingredients go, the only unusual ingredient was food grade glycerin. Do any of you recognize this? If not, could you direct me to another ice cream recipe?

Being back on low carb and around you folks makes me :jumpjoy:

NewestAtkinsFan 01-30-2014 02:39 PM

Your question intrigued me. So I did some hunting.

It may be here on the Ice Cream recipe thread

Or it could be found in this Donvier ice cream thread.

Or this Scoopable One.

I do hope you find what you are looking for.

MarcyDarcy 01-30-2014 02:47 PM

Thanks so much! It's heavenly ice cream

MarcyDarcy 01-30-2014 03:00 PM

pretty sure it's this one...

I may try this this weekend. If so, I'll report back :)

Basic Sugar Free Syrup Ice Cream Recipe:

by Locarbman

2c Heavy Cream (13.2 carbs)
1c Liquid Stevia, Davinci, Atkins, or Torani Sugar Free Syrup (0 carbs)
2c (sugar equivalent sweetener, 1/2t liquid Stevia is 0 carbs ;-)
2T Vegetable Glycerine (0 carbs)
3T Lecithin Granules (1.5 carbs) [or 3 egg yokes for a custard mix]
1/4t Xanthan Gum (0 carbs)
1/8t Salt (0 carbs)

I mix all ingredients in a 4 cup measuring cup with a hand blender and then place in a 1.5qt Cuisinart ice cream maker and freeze. Makes ~4 cups of ice cream that will be spoonable days later right from the freezer.

I looked everywhere for the vegetable glycerine and finally had to order it online (I forget where I ordered it from now). I did find the lecithin granules at GNC. I'm going to try this soon in my Donvier. The last time I tried to make ice cream in it it did the same thing to me and my paddle broke but they sent me a new one for free. So I think the lecithin and glycerine will help considerably. He said to use the same amount in about any 1 qt. recipe.

Mistizoom 01-30-2014 06:12 PM

Thanks for finding this. I am pretty sure I ordered both glycerine and lecithin for this recipe. Both have been sitting in my pantry since last summer!

Soobee 01-31-2014 04:06 AM

I was thinking it might be this recipe.
Shelly7 Rich Vanilla Ice Cream Romo20350
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup milk
2 large eggs
3/8 cup granular erythritol, powdered
1/8 tsp. stevia
2 tbsp. polyd
4 tsp. glycerine
1/2 tsp. guar or xanthan gum
2 tsp. vanilla
Place the milk, erythritol, and stevia in a saucepan or large measuring cup. While whisking constantly, gradually sprinkle in gum. Heat this mixture in microwave or on stove until erythritol dissolves completely. Refrigerate. Meanwhile, whisk together the eggs and polydextrose until thick and light yellow. Gradually whisk in heavy cream and milk mixture. Stir in vanilla and glycerine. Chill in freezer until cold. Process in ice cream maker until it reaches soft serve consistency, scoop into a container and store in freezer.

PaminKY 01-31-2014 07:52 AM

The one from Romo20350 is my favorite and the one I use except I don't add the PolyD.

I tried using glucomannan in it instead of xanthum and this is one of the few applications where I preferred the xanthum, the glucomannan gave a it a funny mouthfeel that I didn't like. I haven't tried using guar but I have some now and may try it sometime, I may also use a mix of guar and xanthum.

I've tried the recipe using the lecithin but I could taste it and didn't care for it and since lecithin is a soy product and I'm trying to eliminate soy I tossed it in the trash. There is a lecithin made from sunflower seeds which I do have but I've not tried it in any ice cream recipe only in chocolate and I wasn't really happy with the results.

I haven't made any ice cream in a while but want to make some this weekend if I can find some notes I made a while back. I read some info about what temp to bring the mix up to then cool back down to a certain temp and so on and so forth that I want to try.

Angeloco 01-31-2014 10:32 AM

I have been using locarb mans basic recipe, that Marcydarcy posted above, about 1 1/2 years with great success. My changes are : 3 cups mix of cream and half and half, no sf syrup ; 12 drops sucralose, no stevia liquid; 2 tiny scoops of powdered stevia; 3 egg yolks (hated lecithin); t vanilla extract; pinch salt; 2 T vodka (keeps it scoopable).

I usually add different things when it is in the ice cream maker like chopped nuts or 90% chocolate bars. I divide mixture up into 7-8 containers for portion control. Sometimes I drizzle with the low carb magic shell re: melt 1/4 cup coconut oil and mix with three tablespoons cocoa powder and sweeten to taste. (I use 24 drops ezsweetz)

This is a tried and true recipe for me.

MargD 01-31-2014 12:00 PM

I also use locarbman's recipe. Love it.

Tweaker Geek 01-31-2014 07:11 PM

Question about locarbman's recipe - if you use egg yolks rather than lecithin do you cook the mixture, chill and then put in ice cream machine? Sounds like using the lecithin it's just mixed and put in the frozen ice cream canister and processed.

Angeloco 02-01-2014 04:55 AM

I don't cook the egg yolks. I just throw it all together in my ninja, blend until well mixed, and pour into ice cream maker. I probably could mix by hand but I like the way the xanthum gum gets mixed up in the ninja. Also sometimes I throw in a handful of nuts for added flavor.

locarbman 02-01-2014 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tweaker Geek (Post 16781628)
Question about locarbman's recipe - if you use egg yolks rather than lecithin do you cook the mixture, chill and then put in ice cream machine? Sounds like using the lecithin it's just mixed and put in the frozen ice cream canister and processed.

Hi TG ;-)

You may find this 'old' thread interesting describing our early efforts to achieve delicious low carb ice creams ;-):

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...me-please.html

Hope this helps... locarbman ;-)

Barbo 02-01-2014 06:21 PM

Marcy Darcy

:welcome:

Welcome back MarcyDarcy

Tweaker Geek 02-03-2014 07:40 PM

Thanks, locarbman, I'll check out that thread.

Love&Luck 02-04-2014 07:37 AM

I have a question about making ice cream I hope someone can help with - I've used some recipes from All Day I Dream About Food and they've been very good, however the texture is that of soft serve. If I put it in the freezer it gets rock hard. From looking on line it seems the issue is not using real sugar (I was using Erythritol in combination with liquid splenda or stevia I think).

Will using these other additives make for a more "scoopable" ice cream out of the freezer? Like what you would get from the grocery?

Thanks for any help and direction you can give me!

MargD 02-04-2014 12:04 PM

I'm pretty sure Locarbman's recipe is scoopable. I haven't made it in several months because I live in a cold climate.

Love&Luck 02-04-2014 12:58 PM

Thanks MargD! Cold weather doesn't seem to slow down our ice cream consumption ;)