Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Now That's a (Lw Carb) Wrap (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/821432-now-thats-lw-carb-wrap.html)

fitartist 01-22-2014 04:49 PM

Now That's a (Lw Carb) Wrap

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/60...0/854/bpcy.jpg

INGREDIENTS

1/2 cup coconut flour
1/4 cup oil
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp psyllium husk powder
1 cup hot water

DIRECTIONS

Combine ingredients in a bowl. Stir well until you have a nice dough.
Form into 4 balls. Flatten with rolling pin between 2 sheets of parchment. You can roll this dough out quite thin. I made my wraps about 9 inches in diameter.
Cook on an ungreased, non-stick skillet on medium-low heat for a minute or two. Until it starts to bubble. Flip over for another minute or two.
Store in paper bag.

Makes 4 wraps

Serving Size: makes 4 wraps

Nutritional Info
Servings Per Recipe: 4
Amount Per Serving
Calories: 176.6
Total Fat: 14.8 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 274.5 mg
Total Carbs: 16.8 g
Dietary Fiber: 9.9 g
Protein: 0.0 g

Wrap Ideas

Chicken, bacon, ranch (with a slice of cheese) *pictured above
peanut butter, banana, honey and walnuts
steak strips, cream cheese, onions and red peppers
Turkey with avocado
Bacon & Egg wrap
Curried chicken and rice wrap
Chicken Caesar
Brie and apple
Seafood with cream cheese and bacon
BLT

Charski 01-22-2014 06:44 PM

Hmmm, that looks interesting! I'll have to give it a try - right after I try Ouis' psyllium wrap! So many cool things to try, so little time....

fitartist 01-22-2014 07:43 PM

What's Ouis' psyllium wrap?

Jakelilydad 01-22-2014 08:12 PM

Is your nutritional info per serving or for the total recipe? My coconut flour (Honeyville) is 4 net carbs per 2 Tbsp (or 2 per Tbsp), and there are 8 Tbsp per 1/2 cup. So the total for the recipe should be 16 net carbs (plus a bit for the baking powder), or 4 and a bit per wrap. That's pretty good, I'd say. Do you add anything for flavor (garlic powder or herbs, for example)?

JHoberer 01-22-2014 09:54 PM

Looks awesome!!!

shoo 01-23-2014 05:00 AM

I am going to try this one. Currently, I buy lc wraps online, and they are good but a bit small. Thanks for the recipe!

Charski 01-23-2014 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fitartist (Post 16769190)
What's Ouis' psyllium wrap?

This is the link to it with the original recipe and all the permutations thereof! :)

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...easy-easy.html

sbarr 01-23-2014 08:50 AM

Great recipe - I can easily skip bread, but tortillas are so nice for everything from wraps to eggs. I'm going to try it this weekend. I already made the faux buttermilk biscuits today for egg sandwiches, but this looks like a real winner.

Any idea how long they'll keep in the fridge? Would you put them in wax paper? Plastic wrap? I'm planning to go back to work next month and hope to be able to make everything on Sunday for the week to avoid duplicate dirty dishes with each batch.

shipoo 01-25-2014 12:19 PM

This recipe is awesome! I made them yesterday and did chicken fahitas for supper. They are flexible and have more of a crunch factor taste than others.

fitartist 01-25-2014 12:55 PM

I'm glad you liked them! I make this recipe every few days now. I'm hooked!

Charski 01-26-2014 06:28 PM

Made this recipe this afternoon and give it a hearty :up:

I made chicken tacos for dinner. We like soft tacos, and these wraps were perfect.

I rolled the dough into golf-ball sized balls and used my tortilla press to make about 6" rounds - got nine, total.

DH gives his stamp of approval too and is already looking forward to more soft tacos with these!

I'm too tired to re-read the whole thread - has anyone tried freezing these?

fitartist 01-26-2014 07:04 PM

I haven't tried to freeze. I'm sure glad you liked them! I make them fresh every couple od days... I've been thinking about investing in a tortilla press. Hmm...

Jakelilydad 01-26-2014 10:51 PM

I just made these... WOW. These are good! I messed up the first one, which gave me permission to eat it, and the only problem is I want to eat them all. Now if I could only learn how to roll them out evenly... what I get looks like a candidate for an ink-blot test.

Easy and quick to make, tasty, too. This recipe is a winner.

Charski 01-26-2014 11:05 PM

Get a tortilla press - they're inexpensive and easy! Just roll dough in about a golf ball size, place between 2 sheets of plastic (I just cut a gallon ziploc into two circles that fit), press, peel off top sheet, turn dough into palm of your hand, peel off bottom sheet, and slap into a hot pan.

Brendajm 01-27-2014 03:15 AM

Are the calories per wrap or the whole recipe. ? It seemed high. Or maybe I am hoping it is high. I am trying to keep my calories down. But would love a quesadilla once in a while.

Charski 01-27-2014 07:32 AM

Brenda, I assumed that was EACH - so I multiplied that x 4 to get the total, then divided by 9 (for the number of tortillas I got out of the batch) and came up with about 78 per tortilla.

So the size you make them is gonna determine the calories. I think making 4 of them out of the batch of dough they would be HUGE!

rosethorns 01-27-2014 09:23 AM

I 've a tortilla press so I'm going to try this. They look pliable too. Thanks

Brendajm 01-27-2014 09:26 AM

Charski, so you got 9 out of the batch?? That sounds good at 78 each.. I usually make things smaller then what is called for myself..

Charski 01-27-2014 11:28 AM

Yep, I rolled them into balls that would fit in my tortilla press, which is about golf-ball sized, or a little smaller. That gave me 9 tortillas total.

They made great soft tacos. The only thing missing was the corn flavor - and since I HAVE some corn flavoring extract, I think I might just try that next time!

Brendajm 01-27-2014 11:40 AM

oh geez, now I want one of those too.....

Charski 01-27-2014 11:45 AM

LOL! They're not expensive. I have the Norpro cast aluminum one. They have them on Amazon for $12 plus change, on Prime too.

I think I bought mine at a local Mexican grocery market though.

ouizoid 01-27-2014 11:49 AM

oh, so it isn't 178 cals/wrap? then I will try it! I guess, by looking at the ingredients, I should have figured that out

Charski 01-27-2014 12:06 PM

Ouis, I went by her original counts, which was for four wraps, and just figured it out based on the nine that I got, and figured the 78/per from that.

I haven't refigured the whole recipe though, so not sure!

Next time I make them I'm going to cut the oil back to 2 tablespoons though - I thought they were a bit oily to handle and that would definitely cut some calories too.

Brendajm 01-27-2014 12:08 PM

I already have it in my cart..hahaha

Charski 01-27-2014 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brendajm (Post 16775432)
I already have it in my cart..hahaha

My work here is done. :D

drjlocarb 01-28-2014 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charski (Post 16775435)
My work here is done. :D

Gadget Enabler!! ^^^^ :shake:

Charski 01-28-2014 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drjlocarb (Post 16776986)
Gadget Enabler!! ^^^^ :shake:

I've been called worse things - :laugh:

On a former board (WW) I used to be called "The Gadget Gal" - and many a gadget was sold due to that moniker!

ncredbird 02-07-2014 02:41 PM

Definitely going to give these a try but have to get some psyllium husk powder first. I entered the recipe into Master Cook and it says if you make 9 tortillas/wraps using 1/4 cup oil they have 87 calories each and 1 net carb. If you make 9 using 2 Tablespoons oil as suggested by Charski they have 60 calories each with 1 net carb.

Charski 02-08-2014 06:36 PM

I still had 3 of these left in the fridge. Took two, laid one in my small nonstick pan, turned on the heat, added a good handful of Mexican-blend shredded cheeses, topped with another wrap, and made myself a very yummy quesadilla!

If I hadn't been in a hurry, I'd have let it get crispy on each side, but DH was already at the table with food in front of him and he doesn't wait well under those circumstances! :laugh:

Thanks for this recipe, again - it's very good stuff.

rosethorns 02-08-2014 07:04 PM

OOOOOO I can't wait to try these. YUM!